Won't start 'cold temperatures' - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 22:05   #1 (permalink)

Won't start 'cold temperatures'

Having some problems with my g/f's '99 cougar V6. Just got rid of all the codes a few months ago for inspection and now we're having starting issues.
The starter will spin the engine plenty fast, full batteries, but engine doesn't always want to start. It will spin sound like it catches but then it doesn't. Usually you can try again and it will fire.
It has gotten worse more recently. It was raining and cold yesterday (mid 40's) and the car wouldn't start. Kept acting like it was going to catch but it wouldn't. After trying almost a dozen times (waiting time in between each try) she finally got it fired up. Once its on it runs strong. We just hit the 100k mark. I did a tune up on it 5k ago.
My thought is some sort of an intake sensor. MAF sensor maybe?
Any help would be great. Need the car to stay reliable as it has been in the past...
Thanks!
cjhstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 06:46   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Re: Won't start 'cold temperatures'

I'd first check if the coolant temperature sensor is within spec. Also, what codes did you clear up?
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:22   #3 (permalink)

I wish i could remember the codes we got rid of. I did my car at the same time. I think it was just an O2 sensor.

I just read a common fault with these cars the other day...starting the car with the wipers on can activate antitheft. I know it was raining the other day when the car wouldn't start. Just donno if she had the wipers on or not. I'm going to c if i have a code today...
Old 11-01-2008, 22:20   #4 (permalink)

I had the same problem with my cougar. Any time it was raining or there was moisture in the air it would not start. Once it was running it was fine tho. The problem with mine was the ignition coil. I replaced it and have not had any issues with it after that. To test if that is the problem pour some water on it than try starting it. If it does not start than that is most likely your issue. Let me know if this helps. Hope it does!
91cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:35   #5 (permalink)

ok cool didn't think of that. I have a feeling that it may be the (i forget what its called!!) piece that is on the fuel pump to keep it from draining back into the tank when the car is shut off. I've been giving the key two cycles everytime before starting to let the fuel pump run. haven't had a problem yet but it hasn't been as cold outside (or raining) since. I'll check back when i confirm the problem.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum