6.1/6.2 litre ohc v8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2005, 21:11   #1 (permalink)

6.1/6.2 litre ohc v8

one of my american friends (okay, my only american friend!) says ford US are developing a new (or at least an evolution of the current) v8. It will be for use in F series trucks and navigator/explorer and rear drive crown victoria etc. He says it is not that secret and should be out in early 2006. I remember reading in MOTOR or WHEELS that a new or improved eight would be out soon.

It will (speculation only) have a shorter stroke and bigger bore. the current modular v8 only has the small bore because it was designed to fit into front and rear drive applications? (don't know where i heard this but feel free to shoot me down on that one).

A brisbane ford salesman (so he is probably lying, because hey are the last to know) reckons a 6.1 or 6.2 v8 will be out next year in an updated BF GT/xr8. heard anything on this.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 22:56   #2 (permalink)
Horse-Power Hungry

Re: 6.1/6.2 litre ohc v8

I think the way pertrol prices are going the big capacity V8's are going to struggle. I fill up twice a week and it's costing me an extra $50 weekly, starting to reconsider if the next will be a v8?????

Wonder if this will start reflecting in sales of the V8's soon
Old 09-07-2005, 00:54   #3 (permalink)

I'm assuming you're referring to the 'hurricane' project that ford US was developing, which was a 6.2L V8.......that was cancelled months ago.
Unless you're talkin about a totally different engine program, which i hope you are, but highly doubt it.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:09   #4 (permalink)

sounds good i hope they do, do it
Old 09-07-2005, 03:32   #5 (permalink)
Magnificence in Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss 8
I think the way pertrol prices are going the big capacity V8's are going to struggle. I fill up twice a week and it's costing me an extra $50 weekly, starting to reconsider if the next will be a v8?????

Wonder if this will start reflecting in sales of the V8's soon
Large car sales are dropping quickly. I would presume 8's are suffering the most.

I said to the ICWS ( In Car Whingeing System )
"What's the problem, it's a victimless crime...except for him, he lost!"

XcelR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 22:05   #6 (permalink)

OK I'm not a greenie or a tree hugging hippy or anything, but i really think it's time the big 4 started taking decent amounts out of their unleaded petrol internal combustion engine development programs and started putting it towards newer technologies. Most industry people say hybrid is a temporary technology, so IMHO Ford should skip it completely and move on to Hydrogen power. Petrol isn't going to get cheaper, and it's not going to last forever. V8s will always have a place, but it's getting that people can't afford them. 6.2l??? - they'd be completely silly to develop anything like it in the current oil climate...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 23:04   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
OK I'm not a greenie or a tree hugging hippy or anything, but i really think it's time the big 4 started taking decent amounts out of their unleaded petrol internal combustion engine development programs and started putting it towards newer technologies. Most industry people say hybrid is a temporary technology, so IMHO Ford should skip it completely and move on to Hydrogen power. Petrol isn't going to get cheaper, and it's not going to last forever. V8s will always have a place, but it's getting that people can't afford them. 6.2l??? - they'd be completely silly to develop anything like it in the current oil climate...
Like i said, if this is the 'hurricane' project that ford was building, then they cancelled in ages ago since ford US believe that this big V8 lust that people are having is just a temporary fad. They cancelled it also to put more effort on their next-gen V6... yes its not a hydrogen engine, but at least its not a big ass 6L+ V8. I still think Ford US is wasting their time, their next-gen V6 will most likely have less power and torque than our I6, sheesh our I6 even has more power and torque than some of their V8s
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 20:40   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McobraR
I still think Ford US is wasting their time, their next-gen V6 will most likely have less power and torque than our I6, sheesh our I6 even has more power and torque than some of their V8s
Couldn't agree more. If they were smart, they'd ship our I6 over there amd put the money into something a lot more worthwile and a lot more likely to deliver financial gains over the long term.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:12   #9 (permalink)
Magnificence in Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Exactly, skip the hybrid con and go straight to hydrogen it's where the world is going to end up so get on with it!

I said to the ICWS ( In Car Whingeing System )
"What's the problem, it's a victimless crime...except for him, he lost!"

XcelR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 22:19   #10 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McobraR
Like i said, if this is the 'hurricane' project that ford was building, then they cancelled in ages ago since ford US believe that this big V8 lust that people are having is just a temporary fad. They cancelled it also to put more effort on their next-gen V6... yes its not a hydrogen engine, but at least its not a big ass 6L+ V8. I still think Ford US is wasting their time, their next-gen V6 will most likely have less power and torque than our I6, sheesh our I6 even has more power and torque than some of their V8s
The only reason they didn't go on with it was because they didn't want to spend the development dollars on it. Ford US is struggling and non essential programmes can't get the funding because of this cost cutting. It was cancelled before petrol prices started going through the roof so it probably happened at the right time for them but a 6.2 litre GT would have been sweet.
Agree with you about Ford V6's, they are pretty weak.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum