7 litres and 373kw - what's FPV's answer? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2004, 01:43   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

7 litres and 373kw - what's FPV's answer?

As most of you would know by now, the rumours are that HSV will plop a big 7 litre 500hp v8 from the upcoming Z06 Corvette straight into a Commodore and call it a GTS.

If Ford are ever going to bring back a GTHO, they need an engine to not only keep up with HSV, but to exceed in every level. I would always like a GTHO to be N/A, but I can't see FPV being able to get 500hp from an N/A BOSS.

There is one engine I wouldn't be ashamed at all to have in a GTHO, and that's the Ford GT engine. It's got around 375kw, 680nm, and is also alloy block so it's lighter. With it being supercharged, I'm sure theres scope for even more power (boost) to be extracted from that motor.

I'm just a bit concerned about the price. I'm pretty sure it would be expensive, and maybe a price of 100k for a GTHO would lose money, but what it would do for brand image would repay that. But Ford needs an engine like this.

The way I see it, if it's good enough for a resurected GT40, it's good enough to be in a resurected GTHO.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 01:50   #2 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Re: 7 litres and 373kw - what's FPV's answer?

Personally, I don't think the BA is good enough yet for an engine like the one in the Ford GT.

Or perhaps is it me thinking that the current GT's are not good enough to warrant a GTHO (or variant).

If the next GT gets an alloy engine, runs 12.8's out of the box, gets a few other things straightened out, kicks some real sand in the face of VE commodore, then, maybe, just maybe next gen Falcon MK II should come out with a HO (or variant).

But at the moment, I don't think that FPV could build a Falcon good enough for that engine.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:55   #3 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

Don't give Harold Scruby a heart attack yet!

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:17   #4 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcginley
Personally, I don't think the BA is good enough yet for an engine like the one in the Ford GT.

Or perhaps is it me thinking that the current GT's are not good enough to warrant a GTHO (or variant).

If the next GT gets an alloy engine, runs 12.8's out of the box, gets a few other things straightened out, kicks some real sand in the face of VE commodore, then, maybe, just maybe next gen Falcon MK II should come out with a HO (or variant).

But at the moment, I don't think that FPV could build a Falcon good enough for that engine.
G'day Ian. So what part of the BA do you think is not worthy of getting that engine? What part of the car needs to go back to the drawing board? Or are you just reffering to quality issues?

I think that BA's are worthy of such an engine. Give it the 6 speed manual, with the Typhoon running gear (stronger clutch ect and 3.73 final drive) and the Brembos. I also hear Brembo make 6 pisotn calipers too, so FPV could source some of those for a one off special.

As far as I'm concerned, I think the chassis is good enough to warrant that engine. I just think there shouldbe a few more things standard. Thye used Koni's in Tseries as option, I don't know why they stopped using them. A car with standard Konis, 6 piston brembo brakes, twin plate APS clutch, t56, with a 3.73 final drive with prefferably stronger diff and drive shafts. Offer a bit more standard and I think we have a winner.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Old 11-14-2004, 02:31   #5 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
G'day Ian. So what part of the BA do you think is not worthy of getting that engine? What part of the car needs to go back to the drawing board? Or are you just reffering to quality issues?

I think that BA's are worthy of such an engine. Give it the 6 speed manual, with the Typhoon running gear (stronger clutch ect and 3.73 final drive) and the Brembos. I also hear Brembo make 6 pisotn calipers too, so FPV could source some of those for a one off special.

As far as I'm concerned, I think the chassis is good enough to warrant that engine. I just think there shouldbe a few more things standard. Thye used Koni's in Tseries as option, I don't know why they stopped using them. A car with standard Konis, 6 piston brembo brakes, twin plate APS clutch, t56, with a 3.73 final drive with prefferably stronger diff and drive shafts. Offer a bit more standard and I think we have a winner.
Look it is possibily quality issues that drive my first thoughts, and everyone on this forum probably thinks that what I am meaning too. However I don't think its just quality issues. Until they can make a GT which really does wipe the floor of the R8, be that the Stock GT, GT-P or a new model (which doesn't exist) such as a GT-R Then why should they go all out. The current GT is nice, and the GT-P is a nicer cruiser, however there is no next step. Though GT MKII could do it, I would still like to see the things quicker and handle better (yes i've driven a GT/GTP more than once, and more than around a street block).

Besides, why should we target Holden/HSV with these cars. Why not M5? Raise the bar. the new Ford GT was brought out to teach Ferrari a thing or two. Why couldn't a "GTHO" or whatever teach the M5 a few things.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:35   #6 (permalink)

the GT engine actually has 550hp which is closer to the likes of 400-410kw so that would give it the upper hand, but if either of the companies were wise, they'd market the cars with "only" about 350kw or at least only say what RPM's it makes 350kw so that idiots like Harold Scruby dont go making a big thing of it. Then, when the deal for the car's practically all said and done, FPV drags the buyer aside and tells them the real figures or some crap like that
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:41   #7 (permalink)
Beastmaster

Hey I heard another rumour.
HSV are making a special run of 50 427kw monaro super cars that will sell for a bit over $250,000 and be the fastest australian made car ever.
Actually I heard this a while ago so they must be available by now.

And I heard another rumour.
FPV GTHO is a V10.

And I also heard that instead of the driving school new GTHO buyers get a date with Paris Hilton

It must be true, it was on the internet
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:46   #8 (permalink)
.au member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And I also heard that instead of the driving school new GTHO buyers get a date with Paris Hilton
Where do i sign?
Old 11-14-2004, 02:52   #9 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Quote:
HSV are making a special run of 50 427kw monaro super cars that will sell for a bit over $250,000 and be the fastest australian made car ever.

And I heard another rumour.
FPV GTHO is a V10.

It must be true, it was on the internet
Very constructuve there flappist.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)

Old 11-14-2004, 03:06   #10 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Hi Tony, that one was good Marketing, they Holden and HSV got great press for that one....went on for ages then said no way..
XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum