98 Octane with Ethonol - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 22:02   #1 (permalink)

98 RON with Ethanol

I see that Liberty is releasing a 98 RON high octane fuel with 10% ethanol. Their promo stuff says the ethanol makes the petrol burn more completely and also because the ethanol contains oxygen, power is increased. Is this all BS?

Anyone know of any problems / benefits with using fuel with 10% Ethanol.

It is only 2c a litre more than standard unleaded (as compared to the Optimax which I use that is 10c a litre more).

Interested in your views
White BA GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005, 01:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: 98 Octane with Ethonol

One thing to consider is that ethanol is highly corosive to the standard cheapo fuel lines we have fitted. When Holden started exporting the crumple door they found out the hard way hoe quickly it can cause problems and all their export vehicles now have upgraded fuel lines. Think long think hard. Yes it has been used overseas for years with no effects but they are done to run those fuels.
paulhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:42   #3 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhowes
One thing to consider is that ethanol is highly corosive to the standard cheapo fuel lines we have fitted. When Holden started exporting the crumple door they found out the hard way hoe quickly it can cause problems and all their export vehicles now have upgraded fuel lines. Think long think hard. Yes it has been used overseas for years with no effects but they are done to run those fuels.
All very true, but I think you'll find the overseas holdens were getting a lot more than 10% Ethanol I think it was around 50% and thats were the trouble started.. I had a EBGT that use to ping its head off with ulp, so I changed to preimum which made it heaqs better, but it still did it sometimes, then I gave 10% ethanol blended fuel a go & presto, no more pinging at all, & the car ran better than it did all the time I had it..
I dont know the in's & out's of the ethanol debate, but it made my GT run a lot better
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:44   #4 (permalink)

The Jag has to use 95 minimum or it pings when i go up the 6km hill from uni- not cool. Even though it was built in 87, the service manual says i can use up to 10% ethanol and 3% methanol in the fuel, which is good news for me coz it means much cheaper petrol.
Where can i get some of this 98 with 10% Ethanol?
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 16:46   #5 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

I did a bit of research on this a couple of months ago.
The octane rating is not a problem, but the downside is that there is less energy in one litre of ethanol compared to petrol. At 10% though this is hardly noticable.
As for the oxygen content - from what I've read it is a down side. It means there is less oxygen needed through your intake system, therefore there is no gain.
The up side is that it burns much cleaner. I would love to see a controlled test on cost per kilometre of ethanol vs petrol.
Old 09-27-2005, 16:48   #6 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
The Jag has to use 95 minimum or it pings when i go up the 6km hill from uni- not cool. Even though it was built in 87, the service manual says i can use up to 10% ethanol and 3% methanol in the fuel, which is good news for me coz it means much cheaper petrol.
Where can i get some of this 98 with 10% Ethanol?

Liberty service stations (in SA) do the 'PLUS" at 94 octane, and Boost at 98 octane.
Old 09-27-2005, 18:19   #7 (permalink)
BLACK PANTHER

Guys l have been using boost fuel in the past 3 tanks and l think it's the best fuel going round at the moment at yes l think there is a gain in the fuel.
Also good as it is only 2 cents dearer than unleaded
ORSMXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:56   #8 (permalink)

SA huh...not very helpful for me- im in Sydney... bet we don't get it here.
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 22:17   #9 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
SA huh...not very helpful for me- im in Sydney... bet we don't get it here.
It is available here at the "no name" type servos.

A list of cars can that use the stuff has been produced by all the manufacturers and is available thru a link from the ninemsn.com.au/aca website

Most Fords are OK except for some Lasers and Focus models. No Falcons were excluded.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum