Ford Forums banner

Anyone Left Their Boss Engine For a Week or so And Then Started It?

4K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  Softy 
#1 ·
I have. Farting, coughing misfiring stalling. Finally got it running long enough to give it a couple of revs before it finally started running properly. Was almost at the point where I had to call roadside service (battery cranking so much).

I suspect maybe the lifters collapsed or something like that?

So, anyone else had this happen? I'm not driving my car so next time I start it I'll see if it's a constant issue.

#2 ·
Hi Pete well i've had mine sitting there for two weeks without starting it and when i did it started up straight away,i certainly had no problems.
Cheers John

#5 ·
Thanks Ratt. I'll look into it although I've only been using Optimax. Could be water so I'll try a bit of metho in the tank.

#6 ·
I started mine yesterday morning:

First off, tried cranking it over and it was like the battery/alternator having a fit;
Second time round, it cranked over and was idling like it was running on two cylinders.

It was as if I tried starting it in sub-arctic temps. After a minute it idled fine. Mind you, it was very, very low on fuel.

#8 ·
Luke, sounds the same as mine but mine has at least half a tank.

#9 ·
Pete, otherwise hows it running. My orange one has on the odd ocassion done that sort of thing, fires, but it feels like it is only 2 cylinders that are going, its only done a couple of times.
But while we are here, 522 seems to be developing another anoying problem, it fires, revs up to its 1500rpm, then just dies, its doing it at least once a day now, it seems to be getting more frequent. Has anybody else experienced that one.

#10 ·
It always pays to put the proper fuel in,whether it be Shell Optimax,Mobil Synergy 8000 or whatever premium fuel you use,stay clear of the no name brand ones.
Cheers John

#11 ·
GT 522 said:
Pete, otherwise hows it running. My orange one has on the odd ocassion done that sort of thing, fires, but it feels like it is only 2 cylinders that are going, its only done a couple of times.
But while we are here, 522 seems to be developing another anoying problem, it fires, revs up to its 1500rpm, then just dies, its doing it at least once a day now, it seems to be getting more frequent. Has anybody else experienced that one.
take it straight to Ford...should be a warranty claim

#12 ·
Aussie Pete said:
I have. Farting, coughing misfiring stalling. Finally got it running long enough to give it a couple of revs before it finally started running properly. Was almost at the point where I had to call roadside service (battery cranking so much).

I suspect maybe the lifters collapsed or something like that?

So, anyone else had this happen? I'm not driving my car so next time I start it I'll see if it's a constant issue.
I left mine for 6 days when it had 4500 klm on the clock it started fine but gave a puff of white. Left it for three days last week, fired it up and got about 2 seconds worth of tack tack tack, sounded like a noisy lifter to me?
The car is parked on a level surface so there would be no oil draining away. I will monitor it and see what happens

#13 ·
Hypnodoc said:
I left mine for 6 days when it had 4500 klm on the clock it started fine but gave a puff of white. Left it for three days last week, fired it up and got about 2 seconds worth of tack tack tack, sounded like a noisy lifter to me?
The car is parked on a level surface so there would be no oil draining away. I will monitor it and see what happens
Same thing with mine Doc...when I leave it for a couple of days sometimes it's fine than next time it will rattle bad...that bad that my wife can pick it..now that is bad.

AP, only once I left it for a few days and it misfired something bad...but I put it down to fuel...though you might be on to something here.

#14 ·
I can't really comment exactly - because its the I6...

But after leaving my car stationary for 3.5 weeks the only thing that was wrong was the steering was a little "flat". Took about 3 days to get over it though.

#16 ·
Well, I'd left my car for a few days again and tried starting it last night. Cranks and threatens to fire but no go. I'll have another go tonight. I always fill up at the local Shell servo and my EB wagon (also fuelled from the same servo) sits outside for two weeks at a time and fires first time everytime no issues.

This is very strange....

#17 ·
GT 522 said:
GT 522. There is a down load program form ford to fix this problem. I had this problem but with the down load the problem has not happened again. Thanks for the time at your club meet the other night. Interesting to say the least. Next time in melbourne lets do a run.
Regards Shane.

#18 ·
I have had (pardon the pun!) a very similar problem with my EF XR6 when left for a couple of weeks. It eventually starts but runs very rough. Takes about 5 minutes and a quck spurt around the block to get over it.

As for the GT, the joys of a Carburettor.

:angel:

#19 ·
GTP193 said:
GT 522. There is a down load program form ford to fix this problem. I had this problem but with the down load the problem has not happened again. Thanks for the time at your club meet the other night. Interesting to say the least. Next time in melbourne lets do a run.
Regards Shane.
Hi, Shane, it was good to catch up with you finallay, thanks for the drive, it was good to get behind the wheel of 193.
I will mention this to Mario when im next down at New Oak, im hoping it is only a minnor problem, as it does get annoying at times.

#21 ·
I got mine started Sunday and was running super rough like it was only on 5 or HAD cylinders. Looked behind car to see a massive cloud of blue smoke. Took a couple of minutes and a few revs (when it would finally rev that is) to get rid of the smoke. I remember similar smoke probs on an old Clevo 302 I had which was clapped out.

I think it's obvious what's going on now.....

#23 ·
Aussie Pete said:
I got mine started Sunday and was running super rough like it was only on 5 or HAD cylinders. Looked behind car to see a massive cloud of blue smoke. Took a couple of minutes and a few revs (when it would finally rev that is) to get rid of the smoke. I remember similar smoke probs on an old Clevo 302 I had which was clapped out.

I think it's obvious what's going on now.....
Are you saying no compression AP?....but then if it has oil sitting on top of the pistons and is blowing smoke on start up it must be getting oil from the top of the engine (valve guides) and fowling the plugs....

#24 ·
I think the oil is the issue.

#25 ·
Aussie Pete said:
I think the oil is the issue.
Looks like it is back to the Dealership for you.(Once agian)
Cheers John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.