AP's FPV Pursuit Has Arrived - Customer Experiences! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2003, 18:11   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

AP's FPV Pursuit Has Arrived - Customer Experiences!

[edited by LunaticSVT] Ok guys check out the article Pete boy has submitted for inclusion on Ford-News.com. Article Here [/edit]

01-May-2003

Other than the condition of the car when I got it, I thought I'd comment on the car overall.

* The engine is smooth and tractable, sounds FANTASTIC. Let's say that despite the stroke to bore ratio this engine hits the redline so fast it's all too easy to hit the rev limiter before the brain sends the "change gear" command to the body.

* Those who told me the Tickford/FPV utes handle well are obviously insane. It depends on how you rate it - relatively or outright. Yes, it drives very well, has good steering and is a commendable effort. However in comparison to my AU2 XR8 sedan the rear end is a poor cousin. This is a comment that teels you just how superb the AU IRS and BA sedans really are as opposed to the utes being so bad. RASTUS' XR8 BA sedan was a sweet ride compared to the ride and bump handling of my LSUG cart spring ute!

* The exhaust system is poorly fitting and the exhaust tips hang around 2-3 inches below the bumper slot. FPV are looking into this? If they don't sort it out I'll have to do it myself - not good enough boys!

* The interior. Superb. Classy, Well finished. Some plastic moulds have edges visible which is a negative, however the overall interior is a design highlight. can't say enough about how far Ford have come on this. Leather/suede seats get great comments from onlookers! Makes it hard to remember you're driving a ute!

* The starter button is worth every cent it costs. Watching people trying to start the car and getting confused is a stage act I enjoy immensely (he he ). However, at night the red light reflects off the windscreen and can be a slight distraction.

* Instrumentation is way cool with the blue lighting. Again, well done Ford/FPV. Way cool!

* Bonnet bulge requires washable seat covers when sitting in driver's seat Duly fitted since delivery!!!!

* Radio and air conditioning controls and screen are very well integrated and work extremely well. Love it.

* Radio reception sucks. Even in the city. I guess there's a separate thread running on this issue.

* Brembo brakes. $6000 of overpriced option. However, after using them you just know you can't ever go back. Pedal feel is great, progressive and firm. Plus they look HORN! (when they're clean - expect major brake dust with these brakes).

* Tremec gearbox shifts well. I quite like it and I find every single kilometre on the car makes it better. My only disappointment here is the slight vibes in the clutch pedal and the shifter - minor irritation which you get used to I guess. This box is way better than the Holden or the T5.

* Seating position. Well, just like my AU2 I have to say tall people like myself cannot get close to sitting low enough. The sun visor is unusable because all I can see is the bonnet. The great seats are a consolation here.

* Windscreen on the utes is still an issue with its AU rounded corners. Makes fitting aerials for mobile phones hard as they cannot be mounted close to the top corners. However, the pixelated section in the center top between the sunvisors is a nifty idea!

* Large gap between top of front bar and bottom of headlights is not real good. I have checked a few other XR cars and they are the same. I thought my bar had come off its clips or something but it seems secure.

* Having driven this baby in the wet, for everyday use Traction Control is a virtual necessity. Scary (to other road users that is!!!!)

* Did I mention how good the Boss 290 sounds?

Overall rating: 4.5 stars so far. As a complete package this commercial vehicle (and you have to keep reminding yourself it IS a commercial vehicle) is a great thing. Well done to Ford and FPV. All I need is a few extra kms to open her right up and earn that extra star! Question is, is it worth the money at around $65-$70k????? That's the 0.5 star question........ I doubt it will make it because say what you want, the leaf springs are still there and show it.

[B]Pictures of the car: go to this thread:

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2003, 18:56   #2 (permalink)
EFXR62

Open her up now!! don't wait!

Sounds like a great purchase.. Why are the brembo brakes an overpriced option? I find my normal brakes in the xr6 aren't good enough.. I want an upgrade, but i need bigger wheels first :(

Anyway, congrats on the purchase, enjoy it, live it
Old 04-15-2003, 18:57   #3 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Excellent AP ......sounds like your having fun with your new toy .....or will come reving time

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 19:26   #4 (permalink)

show us pics please
Old 04-15-2003, 20:25   #5 (permalink)
Formerly ELGhiaFury

Pics please!
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 23:41   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Top assessment there AP, thats what i like to hear a real no-nonsence outline.

Good to see your still enjoying your new baby despite the dramas of delivery issues.

Now about the exhaust me smells a visit to the fellows at Tuffy Mufflers.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 23:56   #7 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by XR_Strider_GuY
Now about the exhaust me smells a visit to the fellows at Tuffy Mufflers.
No. I see AP reaching down the phone line and poking Rob herrod in both eyes "That's a twin system please Rob - no singles for me mate".

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 00:25   #8 (permalink)

"That's a twin system please Rob - no singles for me mate". [/B][/QUOTE]

Twin, eh Pete?... Both exiting out the existing cut-out ( R/H side rear?)... Or Twin as in one out each side?...( The ONE thing I like on the R8 Maloo's!!) Also No doubt you already know that the "headers" on these are the same as the 260's?.. ( meaning crap!)..Rob's are a huge improvement... around 22kw.. AND a real bark!
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 01:43   #9 (permalink)
Movin!

Agree with all your points Pete, it does handle with a lot more stiffness than the BA sedan (which is superb) but it is a commercial after all. I dont mind a few bumps, i drive a truck most days!

Wait till you get 1500km's or so on the clock, it will feel a lot different! The motor obviously is nowhere near loosened up properly but it does open up a wee bit as well as the gear shifts get less notchy. Wait till you open it up in 3rd to redline and watch the speedo go round the dial in fast foreward!
Old 04-16-2003, 05:09   #10 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

congrats on the ride AP you have waited long enough now you can enjoy it.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum