AUIII TS50 vs BA GT-P - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2003, 23:04   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

AUIII TS50 vs BA GT-P

Only really want Opinions from poeple who have driven or owned BOTH of these cars. I have driven a few GT's and so on, but never the TS50. I have driven an AUIII XR8 Auto but not for the prolonged period of time like they many fine GT examples I have driven. So I really have no expereicne on how good the AU Double Wishbone IRS is.

I want to know from the guys who own/drive both these cars which is the better ultimate grand tourer sports sedan. I would say for manual only because it's obvious the BA Auto would be better. And for a comparison like this Manual should only be compared.

Statistically they are pretty even. Both have the same brakes (well Brembos were optional on the TS50), Same gearbox, same size wheels, very similar front suspension. Rear suspension is different, Engine is different. While the GT-P weighs around 100kg more, it has 40 (rated) flywheel kw more power and 20nm more torque so the power/weight ratio is also pretty even.

That being said, you would presume they would be also very close on a 400 metre sprint. Havn't seen any live runs of any of these cars, but basing times on what I have read in magazines and heard from owners, both these cars in both manual and auto are good for high 5's 0-100km and high 13's for a 400 metre dash.

I have sat in a T-series but thats about it. Although I love the interior, it still has nothing on the GT-P. I find that the GT-P's seats have so much more lateral support, and the gearstick has a shorter throw (nothing a Herrod short throw kit wouldn't fix).

Looks? Now that is subjective too. I prefer the GT-P just becasue I beleive it was a much better looking base to start with. But not to be outdone, the TS50 has done a fantastic job to turn a relatively ugly AU into a tough modern grand touring sedan, and also the best looking AU by far (although AUIII XR's with the racing bodykit and Pursuit utes are also nice).

I am hoping to get out of this thread the following :-
Whcih car is better in a drag (take off, rolling start).
Which car likes the twisties better.
Which standard up to the rigours of hard braking.
Which turns the most heads.
Which car feels better to drive and is more confidence inspiring.
Which car you would generally rather own (only if you have driven both).

Yes I know I ask alot. But I really think these are two very evenly matched vehicles with thier vastly different engines and rear suspension, and both showcase the best Ford and Tickford/FPV have to offer.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2003, 01:29   #2 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Re: AUIII TS50 vs BA GT-P

Ok here we go, I own a T3 and I drove a GT in the resent Dutton Rally so I think the differances go like this,
1- there is nothing in the straight line perfomance,
2- the T is a lot lighter so it is a bit better off the line & on the twisty stuff.
3- I think the GT has a little better brakes,
4- GT has by far the better seats & trim no dought,
5- As a balls out weekend racer the Ts the thing.
6- the T gets a bit better drive with its IRS
7- The GT is a sweeter all round car.
As for which car I would own, it depends what you want? the T is for weekend thrathing they go real hard handle well and are pretty comfy.
The GT is all GT, an all around sweet, fast, motor car,
So this still doesnt answer you, I dont know which car I'd own,all I know is they a have both got there strengths & weeknesess, Im hanging on to my T for a while and see what the GT series 2 is like, as far as I can see, all FPV need to do is take 150kgs out of the GT and it would be a 1 horse race, it would be the GT by a mile, but now its to close to call...
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 13:44   #3 (permalink)
Own the road

I also own a T3 and have driven the GT.
Here are my thoughts.

1. Drag, pretty much the same. It comes down to the driver.
2. T-series felt better and had better feedback through the steering wheel.
3. I think the T-series, same brakes and lighter car
4. Both cars currently turn heads, but in a years time I think the T will turn more heads, being a low volume car and all.
5. Depends what you like.
If you like a smooth more refined ride the GT.
If you like a bit of rock and roll from your engine the T.
The GT is more refined and smoother to drive. The T is a bit more rough, it has a lumpier idle, but also feels more responsive and gives you better feedback through the accelarator pedel.
6. The T-series. Its a low volume model, has a history(last windsor, last Tickford) and I think is closer related to the traditional ideas of what a GT is. The current GT is a totally new concept. it uses alot of tech that has not been used in ford before such as adjustable pedals and drive by wire(which I don't like).

The seats are way better in the GT.

As you said both very nice cars, but also both very different cars. The T uses older tech and I think is more of a traditional all out road racer complete with dumps and all. The GT is too smooth and although it performs great the drive in a T-Series brings a bigger smile to my face and feels faster.

225.7rwkw with BluePower tune
myte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 13:45   #4 (permalink)
3dr zeTEC

Journos said the T3 was the best thing Ford Ever built! Then came the BA GT. The one reason most of my T-series customers don't want to up-grade is because the Windsor has that aussie sound that just commands respect. Not to take anything away from the new high tech Quad cam 5.4, but Aussie muscle car supremacy was faught with pushrods, and I'm glad I grew up while this was going on! Chosing between the T-3 TS50 and the BA GT-P is like having to chose between winning Lotto or Powerball, Either way you can't go wrong!
Old 11-21-2003, 13:48   #5 (permalink)
Own the road

Well said sniper, this is what I was trying to say about the T having a history.

225.7rwkw with BluePower tune
myte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 16:03   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Having owned a stroked T1, driven several T3's and presently owning a GT-p; I'll add my two cents worth.

Performance wise their is probably very little to choose between them, they deliver their power quite differently and the 400m sprint will probably just favour the T-Series by the narrowest of margins.

Top end power is all the GT's way by a fair margin and it probably makes a better track weapon as it has more rear end mechanical grip than the T.

Handling balance I would score to the T-Series by another narrow margin. In my view (although most disagree) the T had better initial turn in and the relative absence of rear grip made it easier to balance on the throttle. It was certainly the more fun to drive hard.

Looks are subjective (of course) but I'd score a narrow win to the GT for being slightly more cohesive overall. Interior is a hands down win for the GT, however, with better materials and considerably more style.

Overall I'd have the GT (having made that choice already) but for the sum of its parts rather than any particular individual feature. I miss the low down grunt of the T-Series but that can be fixed and I also miss the throttle steerability and that probably can't.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 16:32   #7 (permalink)

Well said Russ

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 18:11   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Having owned a stroked T1, driven several T3's and presently owning a GT-p; I'll add my two cents worth.

Performance wise their is probably very little to choose between them, they deliver their power quite differently and the 400m sprint will probably just favour the T-Series by the narrowest of margins.

Top end power is all the GT's way by a fair margin and it probably makes a better track weapon as it has more rear end mechanical grip than the T.

Handling balance I would score to the T-Series by another narrow margin. In my view (although most disagree) the T had better initial turn in and the relative absence of rear grip made it easier to balance on the throttle. It was certainly the more fun to drive hard.

Looks are subjective (of course) but I'd score a narrow win to the GT for being slightly more cohesive overall. Interior is a hands down win for the GT, however, with better materials and considerably more style.

Overall I'd have the GT (having made that choice already) but for the sum of its parts rather than any particular individual feature. I miss the low down grunt of the T-Series but that can be fixed and I also miss the throttle steerability and that probably can't.

Cheers
Russ
What Russ said^^^^^^
Old 11-21-2003, 19:31   #9 (permalink)

I bought a manual t3 te50 with brembos and konis 14 months and 48000km ago- nothing ford will ever make will have the all out sex appeal and balls back to the roots of what a true aussie muscle car has ever been.

It's a new age now, and things are changing- ford built the GT to build as many as they can sell- the T was so low volume that it will always be special and remembered among fans (although the majority of the public have NO CLUE what a TE50 is). It is a drivers car and offers a far more rewarding drive- in my opinion Ford have revived the GT name to sell cars- The T series is the essence of everything the GT name has ever stood for (and I dont think the new GT is)
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 21:09   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Some very good points raised. It seems a trend amoung everyone whos driven these two that the TS50 is a more traditional, more fun, less civilised beast that just so happens to be the last incarnation of what 20th Centruy performance was all about. GT on the other hand is the start of something new, something different. The start of what will come to be known as 21st Centruy performance.

Myself, it is too hard to choose between the two, even having not driven the TS50.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum