Batten 80mm Helix Plate - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2004, 03:35   #1 (permalink)

Batten 80mm Helix Plate

I had an 80mm Batten Helix fitted today, nice highly polished alloy. The whistle is much less than the 76mm Herrod Plate and the internal swirl pattern is considerably different. Result, by feel of the bumometer the car is more torquey and responsive from down low. At high speed I don't know yet and I don't think I could tell anyway. As it is, sitting on lowered Pedders springs and sports shocks the nose will lift if you floor it above 120klm.
I have to replace my front Manta Y pipe with a 2.5 Kiss Y pipe because apparently without one the car is losing bottom end torque. Had to diplomatically persuade the exhaust to do it tomorrow so its done for the run to Melbourne. Anyway, back to the Batten Helix-if you have an 80mm T/Body then my advice is to get the matching Helix and you will get a noticable improvement. Barry has also got some very not too technical and very interesting plenum mods in development and the flasher is very close now
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
The Real Performance Thing
HSV What ?
and 013, Lightning Strike:
Twin 2.5 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, CAI & Pedders Suspension
Hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2004, 03:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Batten 80mm Helix Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnodoc

I had an 80mm Batten Helix fitted today, nice highly polished alloy. The whistle is much less than the 76mm Herrod Plate and the internal swirl pattern is considerably different. Result, by feel of the bumometer the car is more torquey and responsive from down low. At high speed I don't know yet and I don't think I could tell anyway. As it is, sitting on lowered Pedders springs and sports shocks the nose will lift if you floor it above 120klm.
I have to replace my front Manta Y pipe with a 2.5 Kiss Y pipe because apparently without one the car is losing bottom end torque. Had to diplomatically persuade the exhaust to do it tomorrow so its done for the run to Melbourne. Anyway, back to the Batten Helix-if you have an 80mm T/Body then my advice is to get the matching Helix and you will get a noticable improvement. Barry has also got some very not too technical and very interesting plenum mods in development and the flasher is very close now
Sorry i missed u mate..i was wroking ..and SHHH about our plenum mods..... :)
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:44   #3 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Has anyone tried one of Barrys helix (standard diameter) on a XR8?
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:46   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
Sorry i missed u mate..i was wroking ..and SHHH about our plenum mods..... :)
I might have only been joking Simon, sorry I missed you as well, still when I get back from MELB ay. Barry told me you are a bit of an expert in the exhaust dept and have done a lot of testing. Question, If my Y pipe has been replaced by a 2.5 without a crossover will I be losing bottom end torque? Hope you can help here as there are so any conflicting stories. Cheers mate, I'll call you when I'm back from MELB
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
HSV What ?
Old 05-06-2004, 03:49   #5 (permalink)

I wouldn't have thought that having an 80mm Helix fitted compared to a 76mm Helix would have done much,but according to the Doc it certainly has,very interesting.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:17   #6 (permalink)

Hypno..why don't you just use your original Y piece that came stock on the GT? They are a 2.5 inch kiss pipe. And yeh they do give better torque characteristics.....don't think you'll see much on a dyno but on the bum its got that extra bit of omph.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:35   #7 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
I wouldn't have thought that having an 80mm Helix fitted compared to a 76mm Helix would have done much,but according to the Doc it certainly has,very interesting.
Cheers John
hi John, like myself Doc has a 80MM throttle body thats why he changed to the 80 mm Battens helix..
the Herrod helix he was using is like yours its 76mm, so there is no point of robbing himself of 4mm of air...
i have a home made 80mm helix made by a fitter at my work, i need to get it tested properly to see if it actually works. if it's found not to be working ..
i am going to try the Battens 80mm helix, it has a nice torque curve on there dyno test sheet..

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 15:15   #8 (permalink)

I Believe Herrods have the 80mm Dia Helix plate as well as the standard 76mm.
I would be most interested to see a before & after on the dyno with the Battens helix.
On mine, we actually fitted the Helix spacer with the car sitting on the dyno.. We did 3 power runs before, then fitted spacer & 3 more power runs. Result was 6 rwkw improvement. Maybe 6 kws aint much? but the throttle responsivness was the real difference.
Old 05-06-2004, 17:44   #9 (permalink)
wasting money on cars

any photos of the battens one.and how much is it
dicast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 18:31   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicast
any photos of the battens one.and how much is it
No photos unfortunately, but it is highly polished aircraft alloy (not anodised aluminium), the whistle is less, good for 4 rwkw @ 80mm cost $215 fitted with gaskets. It is obvious to me that Barry puts his love of Fords before HUGE markups, his products get tested throughly and they always make the kW he claims. As he said to me yesterday, if I find something and I test it, if it works I use it if it doesn't I fu@k it off. Seems logical to me. A man with passion for what he does will always give a better result than one who doesn't
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
HSV What ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum