Ford Forums banner

Best power seen from a manual Gt-P

6K views 71 replies 20 participants last post by  aps 
#1 ·
Hey guys installed a Unichip computer today for a FF member and tuned his manual GT-P and I'm happy to report that the GT-P made a whopping 286.7 RWkW's...........the most powerful manual GT that I've seen to date.:cool:

Now the GT-P had all of the normal mods like headers,exhaust, cold air intake, larger throttle body, underdrive pullies, etc, etc, and produced as presented to APS 262 RWkW's............awesome power I reckon for the mods involved. :bounce:

Now to ensure the most accurate and consistent dyno power tests possible APS ran 3 dyno tests prior to installing the unichip, we then use the average of the three tests as the real power figure.

The manual GT-P was left on the dyno whilst the Unichip was being installed this way the GT-P would produce a true back to back dyno test...........the most accurate way to achieve true and consistent dyno power tests.

Now after the engine was mapped and fully tuned the power result was fantastic and I was really thrilled to see the power that the GT's are now producing. ;)

The GT-P was using mobil 98 synergy high octane premium unleaded fuel and the engine had barely 6000kms on the odometer...............looks like good times ahead for the big Boss.:hi5:

Peter

APS

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent results there Peter,looking forward to get mine done.
Cheers John

#4 ·
aps said:
Hey guys installed a Unichip computer today for a FF member and tuned his manual GT-P and I'm happy to report that the GT-P made a whopping 286.7 RWkW's...........the most powerful manual GT that I've seen to date.:cool:

Now the GT-P had all of the normal mods like headers,exhaust, cold air intake, larger throttle body, underdrive pullies, etc, etc, and produced as presented to APS 262 RWkW's............awesome power I reckon for the mods involved. :bounce:

Now to ensure the most accurate and consistent dyno power tests possible APS ran 3 dyno tests prior to installing the unichip, we then use the average of the three tests as the real power figure.

The manual GT-P was left on the dyno whilst the Unichip was being installed this way the GT-P would produce a true back to back dyno test...........the most accurate way to achieve true and consistent dyno power tests.

Now after the engine was mapped and fully tuned the power result was fantastic and I was really thrilled to see the power that the GT's are now producing. ;)

The GT-P was using mobil 98 synergy high octane premium unleaded fuel and the engine had barely 6000kms on the odometer...............looks like good times ahead for the big Boss.:hi5:

Peter

APS
Peter
Can you post the Dyno graph I would like to compare my graph with this one. I have not install a processor in my GT yet.

#6 ·
GTP 320 said:
Excellent results there Peter,looking forward to get mine done.
Cheers John
Thanks John and I'm really pleased to see a number GT's finally making some good grunt, maybe it's the well matched combination of tuning parts that's producing the results............sure is pleasing for the owner and APS.

Peter

APS

#7 ·
Peter i have a question, I am racing my GT-P in the East cost targa at the end of this month and have had it to two of your tuners in Sydney yet none of them are able to get near this sort of power figure out of the thing with all of the mods you have listed above. Why is it only you are able to achieve these amazing power figures from the UNI chip are you running the fuel curves really lean in order to get these figures? As all tuners know getting power is one thing but power and reliability is another.
im just interested as you can understand i want the most for the race.

Elmer Fudd

#8 ·
aps said:
Thanks John and I'm really pleased to see a number GT's finally making some good grunt, maybe it's the well matched combination of tuning parts that's producing the results............sure is pleasing for the owner and APS.

Peter

APS

Yeah....I bet the owner was stoked with that result.....I would have been.

Cheers...

#9 ·
svo347 said:
Great news there .. Especially for the owner involved..
Yeah and I hope that the customer is really stoked with the tuning/power result...........I know that we at APS are and I'm looking foward to hearing from the owner after he's had a chance to give the GT a good test run.

Peter

APS

#10 ·
RACEGT said:
Peter
Can you post the Dyno graph I would like to compare my graph with this one. I have not install a processor in my GT yet.
Will post the power graph for you tomorrow and the power was increased across the entire rpm range which is particularly pleasing............sounded real strong when leaving APS and smoked the tyres all the way through 2nd gear...............maybe the throttle was stuck open as I'm sure the customer would not normally drive the GT in this manner.........lol :wnc:

Peter

#12 ·
BOSSGT said:
Peter i have a question, I am racing my GT-P in the East cost targa at the end of this month and have had it to two of your tuners in Sydney yet none of them are able to get near this sort of power figure out of the thing with all of the mods you have listed above. Why is it only you are able to achieve these amazing power figures from the UNI chip are you running the fuel curves really lean in order to get these figures? As all tuners know getting power is one thing but power and reliability is another.
im just interested as you can understand i want the most for the race.

Elmer Fudd
Elmer this is the best power from a manual GT that we've seen at APS and we are fairly amazed at the power generated by this particular GT-P.

We only tuned the engine so I'm not sure what the exact brand of tuning parts were utilised by the owner though I know that this GT-P made good power (approx 262 RWkW's) prior to the Unichip install and dyno tuning.

I'm not sure if this GT-P has a freak engine or if in fact this power level is going to become the expected power level as time goes on and engines and drivetrains free up and start to produce higher power.

The air/fuel ratios are still quite fat after the Unichip tune and maybe I can post the air/fuel ratio graph for you tomorrow.

I know that the power generated and measured is on the high side from what we have seen from GT's previously though all we do is tune the engines that customers provide............maybe some engines are better than others.............all we can do is achieve the best tuning strategy for the car as presented.

Thanks

Peter

#13 ·
aps said:
Yeah it would be awesome if the power continues to improve as the engine is fully run and freed up............let's hope so............maybe 300 RWkW's is closer than we all think. :wnc:

Peter
Just how much of a difference in RWKW or % could you expect to see in a brand new motor against one thats done 2000km and one thats done 10,000km...ie are we talking big differences or only small ones ??

#15 ·
XR8888 said:
Just how much of a difference in RWKW or % could you expect to see in a brand new motor against one thats done 2000km and one thats done 10,000km...ie are we talking big differences or only small ones ??
I have seen cars improve by up to 15 RWkW's as the engine and drivetrain frees up, say between brand new and 10,000 kms old.

I think much depends on how tight the internal engine clearances are from the factory, if the engine has very tight clearances then the engine will most likely start out with low power though improve over time and as the owner puts more kms on the car.

Peter

APS

#16 ·
aps said:
Yeah and I hope that the customer is really stoked with the tuning/power result...........I know that we at APS are and I'm looking foward to hearing from the owner after he's had a chance to give the GT a good test run.

Peter

APS
:AAHHH: Are you kidding me!!!
Is a frogs ass watertight!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 ·
aps said:
I have seen cars improve by up to 15 RWkW's as the engine and drivetrain frees up, say between brand new and 10,000 kms old.

I think much depends on how tight the internal engine clearances are from the factory, if the engine has very tight clearances then the engine will most likely start out with low power though improve over time and as the owner puts more kms on the car.

Peter

APS
Pete, would this explain why some of the motoring mags failed to achieve decent 1/4 mile times with the 260/290's in their testing against the equivelant LS1 powered cars ? I suppose a quad cam motor has a lot more friction in the first place, not to mention the time it takes to loosen these motors up, mine has 11,000k on it now and is still stock but feels heaps better than it did at 5000k's

#18 ·
cams290 said:
Pete, would this explain why some of the motoring mags failed to achieve decent 1/4 mile times with the 260/290's in their testing against the equivelant LS1 powered cars ? I suppose a quad cam motor has a lot more friction in the first place, not to mention the time it takes to loosen these motors up, mine has 11,000k on it now and is still stock but feels heaps better than it did at 5000k's
This may well be the reason why some of the Fords fail to record fast times at the track. If Ford thought about it for a moment the marketing department should ensure that the engine and drivetrain is fully run in prior to motoring magazines testing the cars.

No doubt some cars will improve by up to 15 RWkW's over the first 10 to 15K kms.

At APS we always ensure that that the engine is well run in before giving cars to motor magazine to test............it's common sense to do so.

Peter

APS

#19 ·
aps said:

Peter

APS
Peter cant stop smiling even the accountant/housekeeper is impressed with drivablilty
Mods are Herrod exhaust,Herrod 75mm spacer, Bmc air filter, SS CAI (opened up) BPT Underdrive pulleys, BPT Thermostat & UNICHIP.
Throttle body is stock
Thank you

#20 ·
AU1XLS said:
Peter cant stop smiling even the accountant/housekeeper is impressed with drivablilty
Mods are Herrod exhaust,Herrod 75mm spacer, Bmc air filter, SS CAI (opened up) BPT Underdrive pulleys, BPT Thermostat & UNICHIP.
Throttle body is stock
Thank you
Thanks for that info Gary as I was not 100% sure what total mods you have on the GT-P.

Excellent to heat that the BOSS (that the wife not the engine) is happy with the driveability...............I would be very pleased if you would provide a further update when you've had more time to evaluate the GT-P on the open road.

Thanks also for the opportunity to Unichip and tune the GT-P............greatly appreciated.

Peter

APS

#21 ·
Great work there from Robert (APS Tuner) he is the best and knows how to tune the Unichip.....
Gary you are one lucky man your car is a real weapon, and a very nice looking machine..
when i spoke to you last week i told you that you were in good hands, next time you are around we might coax you to go out for a run at Calder.....:hy:

#23 ·
XRFPV8 said:
when i spoke to you last week i told you that you were in good hands, next time you are around we might coax you to go out for a run at Calder.....:hy:
Hey Mark now I'd love to see this GT-P have a few runs at calder.............maybe you guys could convince Gary to give the white rocket a few runs down the strip.............might help to blow a few cobb webs out of the engine. :AAHHH:

Would be awesome to see a white manual GT-P break into the 12's. :wnc:

Peter

APS

#24 ·
AU1XLS said:
Throttle body is stock
Thank you
Excellent result Gary looks like you will attend the next club run? :wnc:
Cheers Alex.

#25 ·
aps said:
Hey Mark now I'd love to see this GT-P have a few runs at calder.............maybe you guys could convince Gary to give the white rocket a few runs down the strip.............might help to blow a few cobb webs out of the engine. :AAHHH:

Would be awesome to see a white manual GT-P break into the 12's. :wnc:

Peter

APS
i am not a fan of the White color cars but this is one i would happily own it has like a white shinney glow all over it....i think with his grunt he would need some real rubber on the rear for a run down the quarter......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.