Boss 290 fuel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2004, 23:05   #1 (permalink)

Boss 290 fuel

Gent's, this has probably been done, but could you give views on the best fuel for specifically, Boss 290/260, been using optimax for 2000clicks and its ok. What do you use and why?

Cheers Rob.
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2004, 23:12   #2 (permalink)
In Pursuit of excellence

Re: Boss 290 fuel

I use Caltex Vortex/ Ampol Gold as i have a fuel card for my buisness thru Caltex, occasionly i use Optimax. You maybe should of done a poll on it, don't know if its been done before ?
BA Pursuit, Blueprint,Silver stripes, Prestige sound, Leather, Sports s/wheel
cams290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 23:49   #3 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Fuel poll's have been done before, wether it's on the Boss or not is a different story but me personally I would only use 95+ ron fuel's, even better 98 ron if you can afford it, but I'd never touch plain unleaded if you love your beast, if it's only a work car and you don't care than sure go for it, but otherwise, I wouldn't.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 00:05   #4 (permalink)
Beastmaster

Don't put ULP 91 in a GT, it will be VERY unhappy.
I use BP Ultimate when I can otherwise Opti and then brand X 95 (it is all the same)
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 01:03   #5 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Don't put ULP 91 in a GT, it will be VERY unhappy.
I use BP Ultimate when I can otherwise Opti and then brand X 95 (it is all the same)
It is not all the same, you only get what you pay for. Cheaper fuels, by brand or octane rating, are false economy because each litre will not take you as far as a litre of 98 octane rated fuel. I proved this when commuting by car in a mixture of freeway and city driving that was 150 km round trip daily.

Caltex Votex Gold is only 95 ron. Shell Optimax is suppossed to be 98 but past polls have revealed opinions of inconsistent quality/performance (and I personally experienced this with pinging evident on some tankfuls)

Bp Ultimate (brown pump) and Mobil Synergy 8000 (purple pump) are the only two (in NSW anyway) that claim 98 ron on the bowser. Go figure. Either of these will result in superior idle quality and performance for the right engine.

Have a look at BP's website which has a matrix that tells you the optimum ron rating for any given compression ratio. From memory, 98 ron is recommended for 9.5 to 10 : 1 compression ratio

Since a 290 has 10.5 : 1 ratio, I think it would benefit from 98 ron although I notice in a GT brochure from launch that 95 ron is recommended

Experiment with different fuels and you will notice a difference
Old 04-04-2004, 01:36   #6 (permalink)
Beastmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
It is not all the same, you only get what you pay for. Cheaper fuels, by brand or octane rating, are false economy because each litre will not take you as far as a litre of 98 octane rated fuel. I proved this when commuting by car in a mixture of freeway and city driving that was 150 km round trip daily.

Caltex Votex Gold is only 95 ron. Shell Optimax is suppossed to be 98 but past polls have revealed opinions of inconsistent quality/performance (and I personally experienced this with pinging evident on some tankfuls)

Bp Ultimate (brown pump) and Mobil Synergy 8000 (purple pump) are the only two (in NSW anyway) that claim 98 ron on the bowser. Go figure. Either of these will result in superior idle quality and performance for the right engine.

Have a look at BP's website which has a matrix that tells you the optimum ron rating for any given compression ratio. From memory, 98 ron is recommended for 9.5 to 10 : 1 compression ratio

Since a 290 has 10.5 : 1 ratio, I think it would benefit from 98 ron although I notice in a GT brochure from launch that 95 ron is recommended

Experiment with different fuels and you will notice a difference
Maybe down there it is but I live in country QLD, The PULP for caltex, mobil, shell, bp etc all comes from the same depot in the same trucks.
Only Ultimate, Opti and woolies crap are supplied from different sources.
P.S. no synergy 8000 in QLD either.
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 04:24   #7 (permalink)

I definately got around 70 km's extra/tank on my old '95 ef falcon 4L six on opti and it did perform better, would this be the case with Boss 290? will start my own tests shortly, but anyone notice extra k's with opti in Boss 290.

Cheers Rob
Old 04-04-2004, 04:27   #8 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Mobil synergy or bp ultimate, for me
heard a few bad things about opticrap....

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 04:32   #9 (permalink)

I've used Optimax and Synergy 8000 in the Boss 290. No question Synergy 8000 is better than Optimax. Not tried BP Ultimate yet but will when the oportunity arrises - a lot of good comets on forums for this fuel. I use Caltex Gold in the wifes BMW - better than Optimax and cheaper.
GT-P 0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 04:54   #10 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-P 0006
I've used Optimax and Synergy 8000 in the Boss 290. No question Synergy 8000 is better than Optimax. Not tried BP Ultimate yet but will when the oportunity arrises - a lot of good comets on forums for this fuel. I use Caltex Gold in the wifes BMW - better than Optimax and cheaper.
Caltex Gold thats only 95 ron, isn't it ?

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum