Claytons Carbra - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2003, 04:30   #1 (permalink)

Claytons Carbra

Just thought I'd let you guys know of a relatively new (I think) product which I had fitted to my GTP a couple of weeks ago.

It's a clear plastic-type film that is applied to all the front impact surfaces - all vertical surfaces on the front bar; forward-facing side of the side mirrors; sills; 300mm wide strip accross the bonnet; all lights - including fogs. I also did the door handle recesses, top of rear bar where you load the boot, and a fine strip along the rear-edge of each door. This is not the same stuff as you have been able to buy to protect head lights for some time.

It is a bit thicker than contact (school book covering stuff), but more rubbery in texture. It is computer cut, then slid on via a wet adhesive type stuff, then it dries to a damn-near invisible surface that will protect against stone chips and head/fog light breakage.

If it wasn't for the strip on the bonnet only being about 300mm wide - thus being able to see an extremely fine rear edge, you could not pick it had been applied by just looking at it. The fine line across the bonnet can usually only be seen when the car is dirty - and dirt builds up along the edge of the plastic. It is also easily removable without damage to the paint etc.

You treat this stuff just like your paint - wash it, and polish it if need be.

Here's the URL - http://www.stonegard.com.au/main5.html

Cost was about $550 for the full package, but they have several slightly cheaper packages for less coverage. I believe its also gauranteed for five years etc

Having had a good quality traditional Carbra for my old HSV - which got put on once during the 5 years I had it, the extra $220 for this stuff was well worth it.

BTW - these guys washed and gently buffed the whole car prior to putting the stuff on, then washed it again when finished!!

I got mine done in Sydney (Rydalmere), and I think they may do Melbourne as well??

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2003, 13:53   #2 (permalink)
FPV GT Owner

Re: Claytons Carbra

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsi
Just thought I'd let you guys know of a relatively new (I think) product which I had fitted to my GTP a couple of weeks ago.

It's a clear plastic-type film that is applied to all the front impact surfaces - all vertical surfaces on the front bar; forward-facing side of the side mirrors; sills; 300mm wide strip accross the bonnet; all lights - including fogs. I also did the door handle recesses, top of rear bar where you load the boot, and a fine strip along the rear-edge of each door. This is not the same stuff as you have been able to buy to protect head lights for some time.

It is a bit thicker than contact (school book covering stuff), but more rubbery in texture. It is computer cut, then slid on via a wet adhesive type stuff, then it dries to a damn-near invisible surface that will protect against stone chips and head/fog light breakage.

If it wasn't for the strip on the bonnet only being about 300mm wide - thus being able to see an extremely fine rear edge, you could not pick it had been applied by just looking at it. The fine line across the bonnet can usually only be seen when the car is dirty - and dirt builds up along the edge of the plastic. It is also easily removable without damage to the paint etc.

You treat this stuff just like your paint - wash it, and polish it if need be.

Here's the URL - http://www.stonegard.com.au/main5.html

Cost was about $550 for the full package, but they have several slightly cheaper packages for less coverage. I believe its also gauranteed for five years etc

Having had a good quality traditional Carbra for my old HSV - which got put on once during the 5 years I had it, the extra $220 for this stuff was well worth it.

BTW - these guys washed and gently buffed the whole car prior to putting the stuff on, then washed it again when finished!!

I got mine done in Sydney (Rydalmere), and I think they may do Melbourne as well??
Can you get us some pics of your car with this on. Something I would definately consider
Old 12-01-2003, 00:41   #3 (permalink)

Here's some pics of my car with the Polaris Stonegard fitted.

The front shot doesn't really show much, because its nearly invisible. Unless you're looking for it, you don't notice it, and most importantly no one else does. But it's fitted to all the vertical surfaces of the front bar - including wrapping right around the sides; wraps over the splitter; the small strip above the upper grille; first 300 mm of the bonnet, and extends down onto the guards; all lights; and the number plate (which is completely smooth perspex type stuff - not sure it would go on a regular metal plate).

The side shot shows up the fine line of the rear edge of the bonnet piece - mind you, I came back from Sydney yesterday, through the rain squall, and the general muck of highway travel, so the line shows up more than it does when it's clean.

Bugs and crap come of this stuff much easier than they do if you just had your untreated bumper collecting the bugs - just don't leave them sitting there for days on end, otherwise they're just as hard to get off as they normally are.

I actually went back to see the place where I had this fitted while I was in Sydney on the weekend, as one of my sills had started to bubble a bit at the very rear.

As these guys have had several XRs and GT/GTPs come back with this problem (doesn't bubble anywhere else, only on the sills, and not always both), they contacted Ford/FPV who admitted that the solvents in the sill material/paint can take a while to cure - and can cause small bubbles to appear. Apparently the GT stripes that wrap over the small rear wheel arch moulding that joins the sills also experience this problem!

Nevertheless, they fitted a new piece without question, even though its not really their fault! The fix they say is to remove the offending piece of stonegard, let the sill remain uncovered for a while ( a couple of weeks) then refit. Older cars they say have no problem - mine was fitted at 3 - 4 weeks old.

No other bubbling has been experienced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GTP bonnet with Polaris Stonegard.jpg (44.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg GTP with Polaris Stonegard.jpg (64.5 KB, 91 views)

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
Old 12-01-2003, 01:31   #4 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

That stuff look's good,allmost invisable,I wonder what it would be like fitted to the side's of the car to protect againt's dint's from car door's or scratches and someone keying it,because on their web site it show's how strong it is with the key trying to pearce it.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 04:23   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
That stuff look's good,allmost invisable,I wonder what it would be like fitted to the side's of the car to protect againt's dint's from car door's or scratches and someone keying it,because on their web site it show's how strong it is with the key trying to pearce it.
It'd probably be OK, but on the expensive side to do all the doors etc! Also, I don't know if it would actually stop a small dent from someone opening their door onto yours, but maybe stop a scuff mark from appearing??

As part of their full package, you actually get strips down the rear edge of each door - which really only protects the door if YOU open it onto something - which I am (and you are no doubt) very careful not to do!

It is good at stopping all those pesky stone chips, especially when the paint on these cars seems to chip at the drop of a hat!

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
Old 12-01-2003, 12:39   #6 (permalink)

burnsi,
Did you find that it has made the front of the car paint work look flat. I have a freind that ha sit fitted to an XR8 with Phantom paint work looks like it has glad wrap on the bonnet. Then he has had it done to his pursuit Ute, Black in colour and except that the paint work looks flat it is much better. Maybe on some colours it stands out.
GTP193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 13:36   #7 (permalink)

Burns,

I spotted you this morning turning into tuggers. I drive the silver GT with strips. I believe we both bought them of sniper545 @ gregories.
eightoftwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 22:44   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP193
burnsi,
Did you find that it has made the front of the car paint work look flat. I have a freind that ha sit fitted to an XR8 with Phantom paint work looks like it has glad wrap on the bonnet. Then he has had it done to his pursuit Ute, Black in colour and except that the paint work looks flat it is much better. Maybe on some colours it stands out.
No, it doesn't really look flat, more of an "orange peel" finish if you look real hard, but I find its still quite shiny. I spose it does look like you have plastic stretched over the bonnet - cos you have!, but its a worthwhile compromise IMO - stone chips vs. plasticky looking stuff (if you look real hard). One of my work mates is into cars and couldn't pick it till he touched it.

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
Old 12-01-2003, 22:46   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightoftwelve
Burns,

I spotted you this morning turning into tuggers. I drive the silver GT with strips. I believe we both bought them of sniper545 @ gregories.
Yeah spotted you too, I think you were at my FPV day at Eastern Creek. Yep, got mine at Gregorys too.

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
Old 12-02-2003, 01:14   #10 (permalink)

Thanks you blokes! I've spotted both of you and nearly flipped the van checking out the cars!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum