Clutch problems with GT's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2004, 05:11   #1 (permalink)

Clutch problems with GT's

Guys i was wondering if anyone is having the same trouble as i am with my GTP and a customers. When shifting high in the rev range i loose the pedal completely until i pump the thing back up, this only happens when it is wound out. I beleive that the fingers on the pressure plate are warped and at high rpm it pushes back the internal slave cylinder.under normal driving everything is hunkydorey no slipping or shuddering. Just curious if anyone else has had/have this problem? my belief is its from a build up of heat from track days.

Elmer Fudd
BOSSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2004, 05:39   #2 (permalink)
BattensPerformanceTuning

Re: Clutch problems with GT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSGT
Guys i was wondering if anyone is having the same trouble as i am with my GTP and a customers. When shifting high in the rev range i loose the pedal completely until i pump the thing back up, this only happens when it is wound out. I beleive that the fingers on the pressure plate are warped and at high rpm it pushes back the internal slave cylinder.under normal driving everything is hunkydorey no slipping or shuddering. Just curious if anyone else has had/have this problem? my belief is its from a build up of heat from track days.

Elmer Fudd
I have found the same thing and also two other customers of mine who are on this forum also mentioned the same condition.

I could only put it down to he fact that now the engine revs more responsively that the clutch springs cannot cope with the inertia that is exerted on them.

The condition has been reported so extream in cases where you cannot even make a shift untill the power is off the pedal.

I don't think these so called heavy duty clutches can handle the extra torque we are generating from the mods we bolt on.

Barry
Also known as edxr8ebgt, BA GT #16, Blueprint, Premium Sound, Leather.
GT-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 13:36   #3 (permalink)
Movin!

Mine has done it once or twice at calder after a burnout with the brakes applied, and it was spongy during the run resulting in slippage through to 2nd gear, but straight afterwards it was fine again
Old 05-27-2004, 17:03   #4 (permalink)

Damn.......you beat me Elmer :)

Yes, mine is the same, it's that bad that over 4800 - 5000rpm, the pedal hardens to the point it pushes against your foot then softens right off, change gear and your left flopping in neutral until load peels off, give the pedal a pump or two then it will pick up a gear. Very annoying.

Will keep you guys posted on any outcomes, off to the Service Department now (Hi, ho, hi, ho, it's off to 'war' we go!!!!)
Old 05-27-2004, 18:37   #5 (permalink)

OK,

Back from the dealer, could'nt do enough to help me. They spoke to Ford HQ and they want the Service people to check the clutch and the self adjuster, if in doubt change them out. I'll go with this while the car is under warranty and see how it goes.

On a brighter note, for a really good feel to the gear changing do yourselves a favour and get the Tremec short shifter..........excellent!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 18:50   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk
OK,

Back from the dealer, could'nt do enough to help me. They spoke to Ford HQ and they want the Service people to check the clutch and the self adjuster, if in doubt change them out. I'll go with this while the car is under warranty and see how it goes.

On a brighter note, for a really good feel to the gear changing do yourselves a favour and get the Tremec short shifter..........excellent!!!
Happened to me a couple of times after a good hard run from start. I can't be bothered waiting for FMC to do anything and its not that bad a t the moment. I'd rather just replace the whole shebang with a decent clutch so the prob is gone. Ideas anyone
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
The Real Performance Thing
HSV What ?
and 013, Lightning Strike:
Twin 2.5 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, CAI & Pedders Suspension
Hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 19:17   #7 (permalink)
X-DM!!

I wonder if it has happened to a car that hasn't been modded?..
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 19:41   #8 (permalink)
BattensPerformanceTuning

This is my second box, the first one would pop out of first gear at high load at about 4500rpm.
Is ok since the short shift put in.

Bit worried about the clutch though, might have to invest in a better setup.
Also known as edxr8ebgt, BA GT #16, Blueprint, Premium Sound, Leather.
GT-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 20:51   #9 (permalink)

hypnodoc,

Talk to Mal Wood (in Qld) 07 466 13548
Old 05-27-2004, 23:02   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk
hypnodoc,

Talk to Mal Wood (in Qld) 07 466 13548
Thanks Al, rang there did that. I have a new setup, clutch & pressure plate & a Tremec S/Shifter leaving Bris on Tues. I can't be bothered waiting for FMC to doodle about so I'll buy the parts and just replace it, I'll let them fit the S/Shifter as well, according to Mal it should take 45 mins maximum.
He didn't have very much nice to say about the standard clutch setup and reckoned they only make @ 1000kG of pressure, theirs makes 2200 so slipping should become a non issue, he also said they were making a much better pressure plate and spoke non-understandable mechanic language to me but definately knew what he was on about and also owns an XR8 ute. The hint on the oils in the diff and G/Box contributing to backlash was interesting. I'll do the honours for those interested in the oils. In the manual trans the Tremec recommended oil is Castrol Transmax Z and for the diff we have Shell LS90. I'm going to change both and see if "The Boss" gets a little more smoothness on the bum.
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
The Real Performance Thing
HSV What ?
and 013, Lightning Strike:
Twin 2.5 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, CAI & Pedders Suspension
Hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum