Export XR's? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2002, 01:09   #1 (permalink)
mmm...kilomawatts...aargh

Export XR's?

I was talking to a Ford employee the other day and he told me Ford Oz may be exporting the XR6T to the US. Can anyone confirm this? I suppose moving the fuel tank may be part of the plan.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2002, 01:22   #2 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

It does sound like a good idea, some low volume exports wouldn't hurt Aussie production lines. It would rack in a little extra money on the side, as well as sticking it to those yanks, show 'em what good old Aussie engineering can do.

Seem like a good idea, I like it.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:48   #3 (permalink)

Ford Oz can't even keep up with ozzy orders, the order book is already lined up back for months, so i doubt very much they would ever reach the maximum capacity to even think about exporting XR6T's in the volumes that would make the entire deal financially viable. Sorry mate, but i think your friend has got his head in the clouds.
HFV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 03:05   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

The backload will eventually be filled. I remember this every time a new model comes out.The fuel tank is o/k on these new models..BTW the 2002 Mustang has its tank in its ass..I notice the Monaro here has too !! Our Henry. Would definately be good against a Crown Vic... EASY !!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 03:24   #5 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

As Wheels mag said, the only competition for the BA (outside of the local market) is in America, and BA shits on it.
Old 11-29-2002, 13:14   #6 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Wouldn't Ford need to address the small problem of engineering the car for LEFT HAND DRIVE before it can be exported to the USA?

Looking under the bonnet of the 6 cylinder cars, there doesn't seem to be much room on that side of the engine bay (lets not even talk about the lack of space all round in the quad cam V8 Cars!).

Unless more re-engineering work has taken place with relation to the Raptor project (and admittedly $500m for Barra and $500m for Raptor means this could be a possibility), I can't see this happening any time before the next all new Falcon.

Wasn't there also a post somewhere here recently to say they're only building 35 Turbo motors per day? That would only be about 8500 motors per year - hardly enough to make a worthwhile export order after you take out local volumes...:sad:
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 15:22   #7 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Quote:
Originally posted by JR
Wasn't there also a post somewhere here recently to say they're only building 35 Turbo motors per day? That would only be about 8500 motors per year - hardly enough to make a worthwhile export order after you take out local volumes...:sad:
Thats what similiar numbers to what Holden had planned for the monaro too, but pontiac made their day. I think the Barra would be a good export possibility, but it would cost a lot of $$$ to get the car ready. Also has to meet Californian emission controls, which are pretty strict.

Im all for Export though, maybe the falcon will make its appearance in the new ford US model lineup circa 2005/6. The US is working on a new galaxie which will be a mid size rear driver, I originally thought this may have been our falc, but apparently the new galaxie is based on the dew98 platform, which Ive been told the falc isnt on.

As to the fuel tanks, yeah the mustang has a rear tank, but from memory Holden has to change it for the monaro, Im NFI why this was/is/maybe the case. the 2000 mustang definatley has a rear tank, not sure on previous.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 15:22   #8 (permalink)

The risk of exporting local cars to the motherland is that Ford US will re-badge it under lincoln mercury, like the capri which would really hurt the image of the XR. Could you have imagined old men driving around a convertible capri - this was meant to be marketed to the younger market and they put it under a market in which 50+ y.o are the majority? Can you imaging lincoln buyers driving around turbos? I can guarantee that Ford US will not badge the XR a 'Ford'.

Also as mentioned, I think it is best to dominate the local market and not spend money needlessly because high engineering costs does not really justify low volume exports. Hopefully falcon will make it to the US one day if the parent company allows it. I just believe that the falcon will make mince meat of the local product, hence the US unions won't be too happy about. Maybe we can send the LWB over under the lincoln badge...but then again they have that type of vehicle already.

I am arguing against myself. Stop.
Old 11-30-2002, 18:55   #9 (permalink)
turbo4wd

For starters export it to RHD markets like South Africa, Uk and Japan.
Old 11-30-2002, 19:34   #10 (permalink)
disarm you with a smile

isnt the au falc imported to south africa? i think the falcon would sit nicely in the european ford line up

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum

« Gt-p | FPV Limo »