Ford Forums banner

Falcon GTR Coupe

6K views 51 replies 33 participants last post by  xageetee 
#1 ·
Myself and a few mates were talking about the popularity of the new Turbo 6 and a few of my mates own skylines, one of them being a R32 GTR,and one of them has a new 350Z. We all thought how awesome a Falcon coupe with a turbo would be and one of them said yeah a Falcon GTR Coupe. Ford could build a world class coupe to take it to the worlds best two door sports cars. I mean with 4L of engine 1000hp from aftermarket tuners is within reach as 2.6L from the skyline and some of them get 1000hp, Picture this you walk in to a ford dealer and there sits a phantom coupe with big shiny front mount intercooler, 19 inch chrome wheels, sunroof, full leather interior, Brembo brakes,Sat Nav, Premium Sound,Climate control, and dirty big GTR badge on the back. This car would be better equiped than any exotic coupes on the market and could be sold for between $60000 to $75000 depending on options,I for one Would Set up camp outside the ford Dealer to put in the first order and so would alot of people i talk to:bsr: I know some might not agree with me, but tell me the sight of it driving on the road wouldnt send a shiver down the spine

#4 ·
They could use the name GTR as nissan have a GTS Skyline and holden have a GTS sedan

#5 ·
GT & GTS is a named shared by almost all car manufacturers. One car from their line up has no doubt had that badge affixed to the body at one stage, from the factory.

The GTR name on the other hand has only been used a few times around the world, and Nissan now is the only car produced that uses it, to my knowledge anyhow. To use the GTR name would mean millions of dollars paid to nissan as they have the rights of that name.

Just like somebody owns the GT40 name, Ford named the new model FordGT simply cause they didnt want to pay millions for the GT40 title to be used.

#7 ·
Subaru has a forester named GT, as for the GT 40 that was its original name it was not known by any other name, just like the name Falcon or Commodore is copyrighted but the name Executive is used by heaps of companies as in Magna Executive or Commodore Excutive.
Nissan and Skyline are protected but GTR is open Slather

#10 ·
what about GTS, there are a few manufactures using that.
CAN"T THEY SHARE!

#11 ·
EATURBO said:
Subaru has a forester named GT, as for the GT 40 that was its original name it was not known by any other name, just like the name Falcon or Commodore is copyrighted but the name Executive is used by heaps of companies as in Magna Executive or Commodore Excutive.
Nissan and Skyline are protected but GTR is open Slather
You are wrong. GT40 was called the GT when it first came out, but was dubbed "GT40" later on becasue of it's 40" height. 2003 GT sits at 43.5" anyway so the 40 bit woudn't mean anything.

As for GTR, why call a Falcon a GTR? It's too close to GT anyway, but besides that Nissan DO have the rights to that name (or so I'm led to beleive) and I reckon a bit of originality is good.

#12 ·
What other names could you call it T Max,TR6 GR6,FTR6 FTR8 for V8 any suggestions

#18 ·
people get so carried away with names that sound cool.
A performance Ford is Falcon GT in Australia, to try and give it a GTR, Type R or whatever would just degenerate the name.
I think Holden have captured and fixed up the coupe market in Aus, the rest will have to be happy with jobs from the Hillier boys. I can't see Ford being able to get the market share to justify the expenditure required to bring a coupe to the market.
Having said that, I hope I am wrong and I would be VERY disappointed if it was turbo only too. The V8 will sell well regardless of the performance variance as the Holden Ad said " There's nothing quite like a V8"

#19 ·
Personally I am about to purchase an R34GTR or a 350Z but if Ford had a locally made i6 turbo coup it would definitely be high on my list as my last two cars have been Fords.

I know one persons input isn't going to change Ford Australia's minds on the coupe buy if enough of us let them know what we want, you never know.

#20 ·
LOL, of the 19 posts there is probably one that is related to the original subject. The rest are debating the irrelevant name badge put to the discussed vehicle.
If ford build a turbo coupe the should offer it with a 4WD option as a genuine contender to the Skyline GTR.

#21 ·
Finally some good replies but sorry XA Coupe i dont agree with you,a car like the GTR Falcon turbo would indeed attract a new customer base to ford with the owners previously owning STI and Nissan GTR or GTSor 350z or Monaros.Do you think the Nissan GTR would have been as popular if it was V8 that was harder to extract power from. As Contempt has said he would love a Falcon GTR as the Turbo 6 has apeal that no other falcon Engine has had before.Never has ford had an engine this good in Aus maybe nowhere in the world. Ford has always had V8 (Except xf ea) but that hasnt lured Holden drivers into a ford,but i now know Holden drivers driving XR6T and love them. Now days when you go down to the pub you hear a few remarks about the Gen3 and 260Boss but the big talking piece is always the XR6T. I firmly believe that if ford built the GTR that a V8 would have to be part of the line up as XR8 and SS owners will always buy an 8. Shear numbers in Australia have proven that Aussies have always Talked V8's but driven 6's, but maybe now there talking and driving 6's

#22 ·
you are entitled to your opinion EA, we just have different opinions.
A Falcon GTR would be a wannabe .. The Nissan GTR was such a sucess they imported a few hundred (R32) into Australia and ended up basically giving the last ones away because they wouldn't sell. Just because they are popular ( and rightly so ) in the second hand market, it doesn't necessarily follow that the will be popular in the new market, as has been proven.
Why would holden drivers be lured into Fords when Holden has always had a V8 of it's own !! the exact opposite DID happen. Ford people that wanted a V8 were forced to turn to Holden.
People talk V8s and drive STANDARD 6s. The talk you get at the pub is by family men or people with lease cars. The people who want and buy a 6T are not the sort who would talk 8 and drive 6s, they would talk 8 and drive 8, now they have a second choice that's all.

#23 ·
One thing i like about this forum is that we can agree to disagree and still be civilized and Mates as such. Thats exactly what i mean XA Coupe Holden owners have never needed to buy ford because holden have always had a V8, but they dont have a turbo. Holden sold 1000s and 1000s of Turbo's and had and still do have a strong following and these people who arent loyal Holden owners and owned VL Turbos are jumping ship like no tomorrow along with some loyal holden owners Because the XR6T is different. I will be honest with you as you can be with me XA, I have been so close to buying a Monaro on say 5 occasions but carn't quite do it ( Gen 3 oil probs,Its a holden, its not a ford,its a holden) but i love the coupe as obviously you do and have never been keen on the ute as i need a 4 seater, i admit it will probably never happen but i have been dam close to ringing the hillier boys before its just that a car worth $70000 and no warranty and than theres the thought a crashing it and no parts is not worth the hassel

#24 ·
Funniest thing is I quite like Holdens, particularly the monaro ... but given what Ford have to offer at the moment I couldn't bring myself to get one. Go back a year though .... I am glad I waited for the BA range.. I would have kicked myself if I had given in.
You yourself say the XR6T is different.. it does appeal to someone new to Ford and it's doing damned well in it's own right ! I just can't see the market share required for a two coupes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.