Finally! T3 engine mods under way - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2006, 01:21   #1 (permalink)

Finally! T3 engine mods under way

Guys,

It is with great pleasure and a little nervousness I announce the car is now in the process of having the engine mods carried out by Ford.

We are fitting a set of 185cc AFR CNC'd alloy heads, YT shaft rockers @ 1.65:1 ratio, upgraded crane double valve springs, new lifters and chrom moly hardened pushrods, ARP heads studs, Full felpro gasket set, Rollmaster double row timing set with nitrided gears and a comp cams custom XFI stroker camshaft with .600" lift.

We will be using the awesome standard intake and just the usual Tickford CAI aux snorkel mod, along with an upgraded Extreme clutch whilst the engine is out. I am not confident I'll have any change for the 3.9 diff gears I want/NEED to make the most of this setup. There is also a better than good chance I'll have to upgrade the fuel pump too- hopefully the injectors should be good for the HP- 24lb in a V8 should be good for about 480hp (that's about right isn't it?)- I'll be a happy man if I max those out, cause it means I'm making more power than that. We'll see what the results are first but we think the rev-limit will be set at 6500rpm although it should make power past that with the combo and .600" lift.

The tuning tool will be the AU Edit and all going well should have some reults within a week.

I was going to wait til it was done to post- but I can't help myself and hopefully for the more passionate out there, it will give you guys something to look forward to as well!!

Bring it on- I can't wait (and I don't want to drive our Kluger for another week!)
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2006, 05:16   #2 (permalink)
ESP Man

Re: Finally! T3 engine mods under way

35 views and NO comments so far Jim. You have got them wondering! Ford who are doing the build?

I'm also wondering about the 1.65 RR's when the std YT's are 1.7. Is this to match the custom cam?

600 lift eh. I think she may dance around a bit at idle and be a bit cranky up to 2000 or so.

Anyway good luck with the build mate. Get a few pics as you go. Would be good to see the old and new heads side by side for comparo.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:25   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
35 views and NO comments so far Jim. You have got them wondering! Ford who are doing the build?

I'm also wondering about the 1.65 RR's when the std YT's are 1.7. Is this to match the custom cam?

600 lift eh. I think she may dance around a bit at idle and be a bit cranky up to 2000 or so.

Anyway good luck with the build mate. Get a few pics as you go. Would be good to see the old and new heads side by side for comparo.
shayne- thought there might be a problem with the computer- or I had no friends! lol

The fitted rockers are the 1.65 YT Stealths- I had a set of YT Platuinum twin shaft rockers made up @ 1.6 ratio- to find out they won't fit the heads (have a 5/16 stud from memory)- back to using the standard rockers- BUT with the change ($1045 for the rockers!!) I got a clutch and half the cost of the 3.9 diff gears.......

I can't wait to see how this idles- and I don't care how hard it is to drive- I really don't think it will give a problem at all.

It was interesting to read in the mag scans on the t series site with the engine build- they kept re-iterating that tickford tried to keep the torque at the pre-determined 500nm and had a cam profile with the lobes retarded 3 degress built to make sure this would happen- because of the limits with the auto-

wonder how much they would have liked to get out of the engine given the same power handling capabilities of both auto and manual transmissions......

will keep you posted..........

maybe I spoke about this enough over the years and everyone looks at it and says "oh yeah, right, sure..." lol
Old 01-08-2006, 06:30   #4 (permalink)

cam specs are

Comp Cams XFI 236HR-14

duration 286/300
duration @ .050 236/248
lift .579/.579
lobe separation is 114 deg.

with a 1.6 rocker ratio- we are running 1.65's so a .600" lift
Old 01-08-2006, 15:33   #5 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
It was interesting to read in the mag scans on the t series site with the engine build- they kept re-iterating that tickford tried to keep the torque at the pre-determined 500nm and had a cam profile with the lobes retarded 3 degress built to make sure this would happen- because of the limits with the auto-
Does this mean the cam was ground like that or has it been installed 3 deg retarded?

In other words can you just reset the cam timing to get more torque?
Old 01-08-2006, 17:25   #6 (permalink)

no it was ground retarded- looked at doing that myself- SVO F1ZE cam specs were duplicated locally by Crow Cams but with lobe timing retarded the three degrees to keep the torque to 500nm.......
Old 01-08-2006, 19:03   #7 (permalink)

F A R K Jim, big enough cam.............. thats a monster man............... 236 248 @.050

OMG you better put that crack pipe away i think.
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 19:04   #8 (permalink)

p.s are they changing the comp ratio.......
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 23:42   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme F6
F A R K Jim, big enough cam.............. thats a monster man............... 236 248 @.050

OMG you better put that crack pipe away i think.
that's the funniest thing I think I have ever heard you say!! Thanks for having a sense of humour mate- the funniest thing is you have to tune it hahaha- $10 says you can't get it to run lol

(though I hope you can)

you can handle it mate- I've seen what you can do.......

BTW they do another one for the strokers too- thought it was too big though

304/314, 248/258 @ .050, .608/.608 lift with 1.6 rocker ratio
Old 01-09-2006, 03:22   #10 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Sounds amazing.

Will be great to see some pic's .

Will this be doing some quarter mile runs?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum