Ford/FPV not serious about performance cars! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2003, 01:35   #1 (permalink)

Ford/FPV not serious about performance cars!

Coming to the end of development on my GT-P without actually cracking open the motor it becomes more clear that The so called engineers that earn great pay packets working for a major car manufacturer dont actually know what the hell they are doing or are told by the cheifs to pull the wool over our eyes.
At the release of the GT we were told that the engine was at the peak of its performance! so WHY is it that i a simple mechanical engineer who runs his own buisness in Sydney has managed to extract a genuine 350kw out of his motor using off the shelf componants from companies around Australia?
These are just engine enhancements and have turned the GT into a True sports sedan. The crapy BA across the range sports suspension was fitted to the GT, Yes the GT has the same sway bar kit as a fairmont ghia 6cyl. Just changing these on my car made driving much flatter through the corners and alot more enjoyable.Adjustable Koni's are fitted at the front but are set on the softest setting for around the streets.Im not one who wants a race car feel but someone who wants a sports car feel thats what i thought i was buying.
Droping the ass of the GT 20mm to level it with the front has made launching the thing a lot easier and unless you park it next to another you wouldnt even notice.As for the absolute crap shift gate it takes 1 whole second to shift from 2nd to 3rd, changing the shifter to the herrod short throw has surely halved the shift time and again makes the car feel like a sports tourer.
Finally the weight if they were genuinelly concerned about the weight why did they fit a wheel package that adds a unneeded 60 kilos extra weight do you honestly think that HSV designed those thin spoked wheels just for looks?
Suming all this up i have a GT-P that has 350kw, weighes 60 kilos less weight,shifts gears a good 1/2 a second quicker and handles its power through the rears better.I will get it timed one day but im sure it will eat any of what HSV has to offer and dissapointingly anything that Ford/FPV has manufactured in australia.So the Big question is do you honestly believe that FPV is interested in building perfomance cars are they trying to see how little they have to put out in order to make a sale?
Ford and FPV should remember the saying "once bitten, twice shy"

Elmer Fudd
BOSSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2003, 01:57   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford/FPV not serious about performance cars!

the boss 290 has much more untapped power than the gen111
mygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:04   #3 (permalink)
V8 ute driver!

Ford/FPV have to make things to a price, i would reckon that it's not the engineers fault but the beancounters that pull them into line.
Plus i would also reckon that there would be alot of political bullshit that effects the cars that hit the road.
I'ts a pity, but it also gives the aftermarket industry something to do, hell it makes the aftermarket/ performance workshop industry exist!!
Any offer considered.
Now driving a 04 BA XR8 Manual Envi ute. Mods to come...
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:04   #4 (permalink)

You 've to remember that FPV have to keep a few tricks up their sleeves for the Series two when that eventually gets released,there's always room for improvements and thats where the aftermarkets fill the void left by Ford/FPV
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:07   #5 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Both FPV and HSV build their car's with cost's in mind, sure you could do thing's to both make's to make them perform much better(like you have)but that's what the aftermarket world is for,
When FPV and HSV say they build performance car's, it's more of a marketing statement than the truth,to me anyway.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:14   #6 (permalink)
FF Moderator

I would agree that the many of the BA Ford performance range is a brought to market a little too mild for my liking and it is disappointing to feel like if we are to lift our heads up high around the competition, many owners will need to make some minor enhancements to do so.

On the other hand when I place my business hat on, they (Ford/FPV) must develop the best product they can and meeting a development and manufacturing budget’s at the same time. This means although we would like to think it, pleasing the end consumer cannot their sole agenda if they wish to be a viable operation.

On the development front there will always be room for improvement with any car (especially Fords and Holden’s) and I’m sure some of the improvements people like you have done will be seriously considered with future updates once some funds are recouped.

Keep up the great work on your GT-P Elmer!

Cheers,

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =

Last edited by CDAA; 11-18-2003 at 02:16.
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 03:12   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

So elmer fUdd your car would weight about 1770kg now with the wheels? The wheels you put on would be 60kg lighter but 30 as you removed the spare wheel and jack alltogether right?

Considering your weight and increased power and torque, providing you get a good launch you should be atleast in the very low 13's, maybe even high 12's? Good luck mate!
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 03:23   #8 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
On the other hand when I place my business hat on, they (Ford/FPV) must develop the best product they can and meeting a development and manufacturing budget’s at the same time. This means although we would like to think it, pleasing the end consumer cannot their sole agenda if they wish to be a viable operation.
I think this is the crux of the argument here. If FPV had unlimited (or even just a lot more) funds, then we would see more specialized gear on them as standard, including lighter rims and more exotic materials.

Going on what the beancounters have allocated to Ford/Tickford in the past, I think FPV have done a superb job with the funds they would have received for development - despite the gripes we may have with them on various aspects.

At the end of the day, the dollar rules and sadly, this is true even for the most specialized supercar manufacturers!
Old 11-18-2003, 03:31   #9 (permalink)
gone

But how many more buyers would have purchased a GTP @ 350kws that handles and performs better?

I must admit warranty is an issue, and a strict EPA compliance would have played a part in the current line up.
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:32   #10 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

You also have to remember that FPV has to ADR it's cars, emissions test, sound test (and pass) and also as already stated still allow for upgrades in the future.

By stressing that modification is not recommended also pushes the point that Ford service is mandatory or important becasue after all they do make their money on the sevice on top of sale of the car. If Mods were freely and easily recommended by Ford they'd show less concern about their own cars and hence give people less incentive to get proper Ford service...

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum