Ford, Its not too late!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2002, 00:05   #1 (permalink)
Ford Parts Interpretor

Ford, Its not too late!!!

Before you flame for what I am about to say, I am a long term, die hard Ford fan, an employee of a Ford dealership, and would never buy a Holden. That said...
Today like everyone else I waited to see what the GT would be like. Power wise its great, but styling wise I felt a little let down as I think that it looks a little too much like the XR8. In the GT documentry on Foxtex last week there was a designer who said they designed the last 2 GT's to be instantly recognisable from over 50 meters away. Like them or not, there was no mistaking them for anything else. Where was that guy when they were designing the BA GT???

I think its only going to be the hardcore fans like us who will notice the different front bar and skirts etc between the XR8 and the GT.

Then I got the Mellors auto guide and that put photo's of the new GT and Holdens new SSX almost next to each other. Sorry guys but compared to the macho lines of the SSX, the GT looks like a pussycat and I am not happy about it!!!

FPV, please tell me that what you released today is a special version of the XR8 and in between now and the release date in FEB you will roll out a monster looking car that deserves the GT badge.

What do you guys think?
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2002, 00:09   #2 (permalink)
bhr
FPR *Drooooooool*

Sorry, doubt it will happen, its not THAT horrific, the GT is a great car.
bhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 00:20   #3 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

look i see what you're saying, but i think there is enough differentiation there for the price. To make the sort of differentiation i wanted would cost big dollars and manufacturers like Holden and Ford just don't do it. They now use plastic body kits etc...

The old days were different, now i wasn't around in the days of XY GT's and classic mustangs etc, buyt from what i can see in terms of design, the masculine look of the old muscle cars is lost in the new cars because of the lack of metal, replaced with plastic, and the use of chrome.

Your point about buyers not knowing the difference shouldn't be a problem, the people that will buy these things will be enthusiasts, they'll know the diff.

So, i think what we've seen today is fantastic, and there looks like there will be a bright future ahead for Ford/FPV.

Expect the HO to have the styling changes...
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 00:28   #4 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

I here what you are saying ADZ351, and I too think the SSX makes the GT looks a little limp.

But the design of the GT is typically Ford I think you will agree and Holden have always have a more aggressive design philosophy to their hero cars.

I suppose the only good thing to come from this is that the SSX is at least 2 years away, and should be priced out of the equation.

I am happy with the look of the GT but was blown away by the look of the SSX... I never saw it coming.
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 00:29   #5 (permalink)
ex-Ford owner

ADZ351, I agree with you 100%.

The pics from SMS look better than that first pic we saw, but not all that different to an XR8.

I bet they wouldn't want to put the 2 cars next to each other, as it would be hard to justify the extra $$$ for the GT (without looking at mechanical specs).
XYFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 00:31   #6 (permalink)
Crikey

Give me subtle, sleeper looks any day. Besides this car will attract the buyers who want the sporty power to weight ratios and all round driveability. After all it still needs to fill the roll of the family car. Boy racers will not be able to afford the GT or GT-P anyway.

I always thought the last 2 GT's let the show down badly. One thing that always impressed me was Ford's subtle elegance and the GT has it in loads.
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 00:38   #7 (permalink)

mad DISSAPOINTED or NOT????

as the first person to post a thread in this thing i am exactly the same as he is in the first line. however i fell very let down from the new gt. i admit the gtp is a good lookin car but wats of that crap lookin pic of the gt on www.carsales.com.au??? its so high and has such thick wheels as in profile. there has been so much hyp and speculation over the new ford gt series. and i for one dont like it as much as i would like to. what happened to the big massive spoiler??? wat happened to 20inch mags???? wat happened to the great monster lookinn bodykit???? and exspecially wats with the shit lookin power figuers??? the same figure for all 3 cars??? i expected 290 for ute. around 320 for gt and 370 supercharge for gtp?? i am very disapointed!!! i am very sorry to say i am leaveing my long loyalty to ford and moving somewere else. all use ford fans have taken SO much crap from holden and holden fans wen we were at our low. now there isnt goin to be much differance. i like the ba series very nice im sure that will win against holden but with special vehicles holden will win. all their designs are monster like and powerfull lookin. look at the ssx. less then 2 years of havin cars liek that ???? sorry GP but u have lost a very loyal ford fan. i suppose teh thousand posters, pictures and brochures are all going to be recycled.
HecticWogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 00:48   #8 (permalink)

good riddance then...
Old 10-17-2002, 00:56   #9 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

Re: DISSAPOINTED or NOT????

Quote:
Originally posted by HecticWogg
as the first person to post a thread in this thing i am exactly the same as he is in the first line. however i fell very let down from the new gt. i admit the gtp is a good lookin car but wats of that crap lookin pic of the gt on www.carsales.com.au??? its so high and has such thick wheels as in profile. there has been so much hyp and speculation over the new ford gt series. and i for one dont like it as much as i would like to. what happened to the big massive spoiler??? wat happened to 20inch mags???? wat happened to the great monster lookinn bodykit???? and exspecially wats with the shit lookin power figuers??? the same figure for all 3 cars??? i expected 290 for ute. around 320 for gt and 370 supercharge for gtp?? i am very disapointed!!! i am very sorry to say i am leaveing my long loyalty to ford and moving somewere else. all use ford fans have taken SO much crap from holden and holden fans wen we were at our low. now there isnt goin to be much differance. i like the ba series very nice im sure that will win against holden but with special vehicles holden will win. all their designs are monster like and powerfull lookin. look at the ssx. less then 2 years of havin cars liek that ???? sorry GP but u have lost a very loyal ford fan. i suppose teh thousand posters, pictures and brochures are all going to be recycled.
Good to see someone like you to go....we don't need you!! If you had half a brain and knew anything about cars KW don't mean shit, on the track (streets whatever) this car will rip HSV's, thats where it counts not the 1/4 mile!! I for one am happy Ford created a car like this, nothing like the rice burner crap HSV have done, thats overkill and a half.
Night_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 00:59   #10 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Re: DISSAPOINTED or NOT????

Quote:
Originally posted by HecticWogg
as the first person to post a thread in this thing i am exactly the same as he is in the first line. however i fell very let down from the new gt. i admit the gtp is a good lookin car but wats of that crap lookin pic of the gt on www.carsales.com.au??? its so high and has such thick wheels as in profile.
Ok you are dissapointed that the GT is not all you expected it to be, i can live with that, but the rest of your post?!?

Quote:
there has been so much hyp and speculation over the new ford gt series. and i for one dont like it as much as i would like to. what happened to the big massive spoiler??? wat happened to 20inch mags???? wat happened to the great monster lookinn bodykit???? and exspecially wats with the shit lookin power figuers??? the same figure for all 3 cars??? i expected 290 for ute. around 320 for gt and 370 supercharge for gtp?? i am very disapointed!!!
Hype and speculation is just that, hype and speculation, it is not fact, nor has it ever been. You want a massive spoiler? what would be the purpose of having a spoiler say, 1/2way up to the roofline of the vehicle? It really does not make a difference to performance, if you want it for looks wouldn't it be much better to have a spoiler that is integrated and fits in with the rest of the kit, just like the one on the GT at the motorshow does?
Great monster looking bodykit? well there are practicality considerations to take into account here, what is the point of having huge chunky plastic addons when they will only achieve the purpose of smashing themselves to bits over the roads? not much IMO.
Shit power figures? Please wake up, what is not to be impressed about with 290kw? at a time when 185kw was considered enough not that long ago, power outputs have come a long way. 370kw in a supercharged GT-P? I never heard that rumored for the GTP, maybe it will come on the GTHO down the track, but I cannot see any reason to be dissapointed with "only" 290kw.

Quote:
i am very sorry to say i am leaveing my long loyalty to ford and moving somewere else. all use ford fans have taken SO much crap from holden and holden fans wen we were at our low. now there isnt goin to be much differance. i like the ba series very nice im sure that will win against holden but with special vehicles holden will win. all their designs are monster like and powerfull lookin. look at the ssx. less then 2 years of havin cars liek that ???? sorry GP but u have lost a very loyal ford fan. i suppose teh thousand posters, pictures and brochures are all going to be recycled.
If you are leaving the brand because the GT has dissapointed you because you believed too much of the speculation, how true a fan were you in the first place, the GT is an awesome car and more than worthy of the nameplate, and to leave the brand cos it doesn't have massive spoiler, 20 inch wheels or as it has "only" 290kw is rather weak.....
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum