Ford Forums banner

Ford Performance Racing

4K views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  The_RAT 
#1 ·
Guys,
We’ve brought you the GT, now here is the next exciting news for 2003.

Have Fun!

Happy Jack

New Ford V8 Supercar team announced

Melbourne, January 29, 2003… In a move that is sure to generate excitement amongst Ford fans and create unprecedented interest in the V8 Supercar category, a new Ford team is about to launch a three pronged attack on the Australian Touring Car Championship.

Ford Performance Racing (FPR) is the final component in Ford Australia’s revived commitment to race-bred performance in its road car range.

FPR will ultimately feature three Ford BA Falcon V8 Supercars to be driven by star drivers Craig Lowndes, Glenn Seton and David Besnard.

FPR, which is 100% owned by Prodrive’s Australian operation, builds on the relationship between Ford and Prodrive, and follows the formation of Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) in September last year.

Ford Australia President, Mr Geoff Polites, explains: “It was always our intention to draw on the same international Prodrive resources available as part of this partnership to boost our motorsport activities.

“It was also important to us that there was a direct and highly visible link between our new road car range and our motorsport activities. The timing of the new team is perfect, coinciding with the debut of our new BA Falcon V8 Supercar under the new Project Blueprint rules and the release of the first FPV road car range.

“It's also appropriate that the launch of this new team coincides with global centenary celebrations for Ford, the company that had its origins in motorsport.”

The Managing Director of Ford Performance Vehicles, Mr David Flint, will also head up the new race team.

According to David Flint, Prodrive’s ownership of the new team opens doors to an unprecedented level of expertise and resources and further demonstrates Ford’s commitment to win.

“We looked at the many options of how we could enhance Ford Australia’s motorsport activities. The establishment of FPR with the depth of talent and professionalism available to us through the combined resources of Ford and Prodrive really was our optimum route.

“We are in this to win and will do whatever it takes to get to the top of the field. However, we are not under estimating the difficulty of the task, or how long it will take.

"We are making this announcement with only a few weeks to go to the commencement of the new season and we are starting with Glenn’s 2002 resource, a one car team, in Dandenong.

“Ideally, we would want to contest the first race with three cars developed from the BA base. That will not be possible and it will be much later in the season before our drivers can be equipped with three equally specified BA Falcon Race Cars.

"My staff are working very hard forming the new extended team that will be based at the old GSR, Rhur Street premises for season 2003," said Flint.

"In parallel with the activity at Dandenong, new purpose designed premises at FPV’s site in Campbellfield will soon be under construction.

“As for race car livery and sponsorship – that will be revealed in the near future," said Flint.

See less See more
#4 ·
Great news David, Geoff, and the whole team involved. This is what Ford needs to really get back into the track and sales race. I think with the committment you guys put it in it should be a success! Stick it up to HRT and the dark side! The racing should be very healthy this year!

:s6: :s6:

I look foreward to seeing plenty of blue white and grey jackets this and thew coming years, particularly on the winner's podium!:bowd: :bowd: :bowd: :king: :king: :whiskey:

#8 ·
I'm confused how the FPR - 00 Motorsport - GSR - SBR entities tie up with these changes. Are the base teams still supporting their drivers and the FPR is a 'front' for an apprently combined attack? Is this merely a marketing move?

Shows how little I know.........

One thing for sure - the 00 Motorsport facility is way ahead of GSR's and I would have thought it would be better for a three car 'team'.

#9 ·
A very big step in the right direction.

So now we have FPR/Prodrive vs HRT/TWR - very similar base concepts. Who was it who said "if you can't beat the bastards then at least learn something from them/"

Congratulations to all concerned.

Russ

#13 ·
FPR V HSV

Congratulations to David and the team at Ford.
Now we have a super strong "factory" based team that will take on the "Dark Side" and beat the bastards at the game that they took over from the Blue Oval only a few years ago.
Bring on the new series of the V8 Supercar Championship along with Bathurst and let's show them how to really play this game!!!
We will all be there to support you and the team at as many events as the bank balance will allow.
Only 36 weeks to Bathurst!!!!!

#15 ·
This is great news. It was definately a long time coming, but expected as of all the hype round the last few weeks.

So there will be 3 cars eh? I thought you could only have two this season? Can someone explain?

#20 ·
jaytyn said:
Does this mean the teams will 'merge' and race under the same livery?
Both GSR and Rod Nash Racing have merged.

It's not known yet if all 3 cars will be wearing the same livery because all three have different sponsors.
Lowndes -CAT, Seton -Ford Credit, Besnard -Caltex

#25 ·
FPR... Floored, Peaked, Redline

BRING ON THE 2003 V8 SUPERCAR RACE SEASON All I can say is I'm exstatic with the news David. Now all we have to do is declare a vote of "No Confidence" in the AVESCO board and kick everybody off who has an infested interest in the catagory (but wait, you say, that would mean EVERYONE on the board would get a stern kick up the backside off the round-table) In any other sport around the world a Inquiry would have been setup to establish How and When people with a financial interests in Ford and Holden were allowed onto the bench which controlls the racing catagory. It's sickening :puke: I'm also worried about the small 1-2 car teams in the catagory. What are they going to do now? 2002 was bad enough for these people with the format laid down by AVESCO but this will only make it worse. Two HUGE teams on eitherside of the wand and a bunch of the little guys in the middle fighting for track positions.

All that negative stuff aside - this is wonderful for Ford and FPV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.