FPV Driver Training Days Eastern Creek 28/29 Jan 2004 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2004, 22:23   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

FPV Driver Training Days Eastern Creek 28/29 Jan 2004

So, which members on here attended? I was there Thursday with ManFrom Aus (???), Christo as well as numerous others who I am unsure of.

A superb day, hot clear weather, plenty of Krispy Kremes stacked in the SuperCab section of the ute, Optimax tanked up, and white faced instructors in the passenger seat.

Highlights:
- Rhys in the citric acid GT pulling consistent 31-33 secs in the Motorkhana (cheating thanks to traction control)
- Christo pulling superb runs in the Black Pursuit in motorkhana
- Christo with bonnet raised after getting complaints from James about copping all the oil smoke in the circuit runs (AP's reply: it's got 3500km just keep going - they stop burning oil at 5000)
- AP smashing all the others in the motorkhana with a tyre frying 29.4 second run!!!!!!
- Rhys still getting the win prize for the motorkhana (the highlight was the look on AP's face when that happened )
- The 20 inch wheels and cobra stripes on james' Orange GT-P
- Ian (instructor) experiencing the APete-Brembo brake pedal pump sessions!! mmmmmmm
- AP picking the remains of the tyre valve caps out of the valve stems on arriving home (They melted into the valve core!!! JB guys told us to use metal valve caps and I of course believe them.......)
- The first run in the slalom with someone else driving (okay, I DIDN'T know an FPV could do THAT!!!!!). There's no way my experiences in a Holden/HSV could match that.
- Walking past a black GT with brake smoke pouring out of the back wheels after the circuit runs (I love the smell of brake pads in the afternoon).
- Finding that Brembo caliper paint burns (DOH)

And the No.1 highlight:

- The fact a road car did the circuit session without fuss time after time after time. In fact David Cuff nominated AP as being ready for the LeMans 24hr after seeing the Pursuit never stop the whole session through. This was a plus for FPV and Ford engineering.

Tell us about your highlights!!!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2004, 22:49   #2 (permalink)
FPV GT Owner

Re: FPV Driver Training Days Eastern Creek 28/29 Jan 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
So, which members on here attended? I was there Thursday with ManFrom Aus (???), Christo as well as numerous others who I am unsure of.

A superb day, hot clear weather, plenty of Krispy Kremes stacked in the SuperCab section of the ute, Optimax tanked up, and white faced instructors in the passenger seat.

Highlights:
- Rhys in the citric acid GT pulling consistent 31-33 secs in the Motorkhana (cheating thanks to traction control)
- Christo pulling superb runs in the Black Pursuit in motorkhana
- Christo with bonnet raised after getting complaints from James about copping all the oil smoke in the circuit runs (AP's reply: it's got 3500km just keep going - they stop burning oil at 5000)
- AP smashing all the others in the motorkhana with a tyre frying 29.4 second run!!!!!!
- Rhys still getting the win prize for the motorkhana (the highlight was the look on AP's face when that happened )
- The 20 inch wheels and cobra stripes on james' Orange GT-P
- Ian (instructor) experiencing the APete-Brembo brake pedal pump sessions!! mmmmmmm
- AP picking the remains of the tyre valve caps out of the valve stems on arriving home (They melted into the valve core!!! JB guys told us to use metal valve caps and I of course believe them.......)
- The first run in the slalom with someone else driving (okay, I DIDN'T know an FPV could do THAT!!!!!). There's no way my experiences in a Holden/HSV could match that.
- Walking past a black GT with brake smoke pouring out of the back wheels after the circuit runs (I love the smell of brake pads in the afternoon).
- Finding that Brembo caliper paint burns (DOH)

And the No.1 highlight:

- The fact a road car did the circuit session without fuss time after time after time. In fact David Cuff nominated AP as being ready for the LeMans 24hr after seeing the Pursuit never stop the whole session through. This was a plus for FPV and Ford engineering.

Tell us about your highlights!!!
I wasn't at that one AP, but I was at the one with BOSSGT and eightoftwelve and we had a great day. Glade you meet James, I meet him at Sinclair Ford last week, dont those 20" Mags seem to fill out the guards much better than the standard mags. Did he have the Leather upgrade done yet?

Got to say the motorkhana was a definite favourite and traction control needed to be turned off for the extra fun. I too learnt the same thing at the end when BOSSGT took out the first place in the motorkhana, when I had done a better time than him, but unfortunately consistency let him take the win on the day
Old 01-29-2004, 23:58   #3 (permalink)
BSR

Sounds like a great day and am looking forward to mine!!

12/03 FPV GT 725
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 16:51   #4 (permalink)

Spill the beans Pete what lap times did you do and what speed did you do thru turn 1?
Old 01-31-2004, 03:46   #5 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Very good question matey.......
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 04:05   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH
A little question I am curious about?? I haven't done my track day yet, but what prods my curiosity is Insurance! If one should be unfortunate enough to do damage to their GT on track day, how would the Insurance companies look at it? Anyone bothered to ask before going on track?
Paltry trivialities!!.. For ****s sake, LIFE is a risk.. Everything we do is a risk!
Just relax & enjoy the beast!... Or put it up on blocks & lock your garage!
I really DON'T mean to be "picky" (And NOT directed at you personally JAJH, as this is about the 20th such similar comment) But, PULEASE, will you guys just get out there.. Listen, learn & take note of the expert advice from JB's guys... Give it HEAPS & relax!! This is all about AVOIDING accidents, Not having them!
Who CARES about insurance issues?
Old 02-01-2004, 14:40   #7 (permalink)

Charliewool,
You are being a bit harsh, to the novice, a racetrack is an accident waiting to happen. Its not until people realise what is going on with the car that they learn the fundlementals of carcraft that they realise it its a relatively safe enviroment. You drive to your ability, guys who apex every turn, brake and change gear correctly from the start, will be quicker as they gain confidence at the track. It isnt rocket science brake at the correct point, change gears, turn in to the apex, look to the next apex and excellerate! And the beauty of driver training is ther are witches hats to mark all the points above. It can be as safe/slow as you want.

JAJH,
Most insurance companies will cover you for "driver training" but get conformation in writing.
They wont cover you for anything timed or racing, similar to supersprints etc.
Old 02-01-2004, 14:49   #8 (permalink)

Andrew,

The John Boew guys only let you run the short course and place witches hat chicanes between turns 1 and 2, 3 and 4, and 9 and 10. The short cut runs between turns 4 and 9 (the hairpin is the exit). Also, on every lap the cars must enter the pits hence no turn 1 bravery required.

I wasw pleasantly surprised though at the car's abilities. Unlike the Holden/HSV cars the front tyres on the Pursuit were fine even after a thrashing (minor feathering only) whereas a HSV would have the fronts chewed to bits. SImilarly, no power steering fluid everywhere, no oil breathing issues from the engine. It was very good overall.

'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

Old 02-01-2004, 15:04   #9 (permalink)

Okay Pete,
Still would like a head to head at the Creek thou?
I run 3.5 deg neg on the fronts and still destroy the R spec's, on the shoulders.
Old 02-01-2004, 15:08   #10 (permalink)

The JB crowd says a stock BA GT (even stock tyres and wheel alignment) driven by an experienced driver does 1:58 at the Creek. I would imagine the ute should do the same times.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum