FPV Mk2 vs HSV Z-series - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2004, 01:28   #1 (permalink)
V-man

FPV Mk2 vs HSV Z-series

After looking at the new Mk2 FPV range, I was delighted when I read the improvements that have been done to it. The new gearbox, clutch and tuned suspension should easily overcome anything HSV has to offer.

But a few days later I seen and read about the new HSV Z-series and was atonished that they have the new GenIV 6litre V8, which was not intended to be in Australia until late 2005. This engine is 295kW straight out of the box and with a lot of power waiting to be extracted. HSV is already saying it can get 375kW out of it for the new GTS wich comes out around April next year. HSV has surely hit FPV back with the new z-series which now has 5kW more. It would be good to see how they compare next to each other.

Would this start a new Horsepower war like the one in the early 70's? It looks like its going in this direction. Remember the last time this happen, it saw the death of the lengendary GTHO, which could easily happen again to FPV and HSV.

V-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 02:08   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: FPV Mk2 vs HSV Z-series

Long as we finsish on top again which doesnt look as though it will happen based on current figures.

It will get to the stage where alternative fuels are the go anyway.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:26   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man
After looking at the new Mk2 FPV range, I was delighted when I read the improvements that have been done to it. The new gearbox, clutch and tuned suspension should easily overcome anything HSV has to offer.

But a few days later I seen and read about the new HSV Z-series and was atonished that they have the new GenIV 6litre V8, which was not intended to be in Australia until late 2005. This engine is 295kW straight out of the box and with a lot of power waiting to be extracted. HSV is already saying it can get 375kW out of it for the new GTS wich comes out around April next year. HSV has surely hit FPV back with the new z-series which now has 5kW more. It would be good to see how they compare next to each other.

Would this start a new Horsepower war like the one in the early 70's? It looks like its going in this direction. Remember the last time this happen, it saw the death of the lengendary GTHO, which could easily happen again to FPV and HSV.

Hypnodoc and others have achieved these power levels without even opening the Boss, or using the edit, so it has just as much if not more potential than the new low tech 6 litre Holden, if Ford chooses to utilize it. It will be interesting to see if either manufacturer breaks the rumored unofficial Government KW limit of 300, if HSV does FPV will simply continue to match/exceed the opposition, I would think. Surely 375kw of HSV would need chassis/brake/gearbox/suspension upgrades and along with it price increases. At $95+k now for 300 GTS, how much for 375kw version. $100 plus k for an Aussie banger, not this little black duck, niether Ford nor Holden, but will great fun to watch from the sidelines
Old 10-12-2004, 02:32   #4 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

The only real thing that I feel will hurt FPV is the marketing of the new genIV 6ltr, I can feel the power those of cube's allready, nothing beat's displacement.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:50   #5 (permalink)

I read in Wheels July that Ford were developing a 6.2 litre engine in the USA for the F150 truck range. Maybe this has some potential for FPV? Anybody heard any more details?

Jim Young
Jim Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:34   #6 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

Taken from another thread

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...b01-165355.htm
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:38   #7 (permalink)
one day.......maybe

the new Z-series HSV has 305kw if measured the same way as the GT.

So that's a 15kw advantage plus 10Nm (i think) plus less weight = ford are screwed unless they do something soon...
FordXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:50   #8 (permalink)
Magnificence in Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Red
Hypnodoc and others have achieved these power levels without even opening the Boss, or using the edit, so it has just as much if not more potential than the new low tech 6 litre Holden, if Ford chooses to utilize it. It will be interesting to see if either manufacturer breaks the rumored unofficial Government KW limit of 300, if HSV does FPV will simply continue to match/exceed the opposition, I would think. Surely 375kw of HSV would need chassis/brake/gearbox/suspension upgrades and along with it price increases. At $95+k now for 300 GTS, how much for 375kw version. $100 plus k for an Aussie banger, not this little black duck, niether Ford nor Holden, but will great fun to watch from the sidelines
Thx sweet red. I called it low tech too the other day and some holden lover who says he owns a Ford jumped all over me. Glad to see some unification from the Fordies...go the blues!!!

I said to the ICWS ( In Car Whingeing System )
"What's the problem, it's a victimless crime...except for him, he lost!"

XcelR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:08   #9 (permalink)

Let HSV have all the kw of power they want. We have the chassis and torque and thats what matters. 6.0ltrs to generate 530nm, talk about inefficiencies.
Old 10-12-2004, 15:09   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr220
Let HSV have all the kw of power they want. We have the chassis and torque and thats what matters. 6.0ltrs to generate 530nm, talk about inefficiencies.
Not sure what you are talking about with the GT producing 520nm

These two cars are what I am considering specifically the GT-P and The R8 At this point in time the Ford web site doesn't appear to have the level of detail to allow me to make a complete account.

Obviously I will wait to drive the cars myself. I have a feeling the LS2 might transform the driving experience from the LS1 with much better bottom end urge.

The R8 is 70990 and the GT-P is 70200. I have decided it is between these two models. I am assuming the GT-p will cost me another $2750 for leather which the R8 has as standard. I would want a sun roof which the Ford offering is 300 cheaper. On paper the R8 has a 10 speaker sound system with the GT-P has 6. The HSV actually comes out cheaper and most likely faster.
warrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum