FPV a true performance arm rival to HSV??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2004, 04:35   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

FPV a true performance arm rival to HSV???

After seeing how much Xr8's and GTs go for 2nd hand, and the fact that the XR6 turbo has got all the hype, i can't help thinking that perhaps Ford still don't have the right formula to tackle HSV.

Reading about the HSV sales, they are stronger than ever with even better products to comeout to satisfy the V8 performance enthusiast (4wd coupe and 4 wheel drive v8 sedans).
Now, on the up side we all know that as a package the Ford is alot better in terms of handling, real world tractable punch). However i can't help but feel here only 1 step ahead that will deminish when the LS2 comes out.
Also as much as i like the Territory it seems Ford Aus are catering for the general public rather than performance enthusiasts.

My question is, are there any news that Ford will change their strategy yet again (aka Tickford to FPV) or am i expecting too much from FPV, ie. HSV have started since 1988 and has matured.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2004, 00:46   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

Re: FPV a true performance arm rival to HSV???

All I can say is that Prodrive are lost...the Typhoon buzzbox will help balance the books somewhat in the short term for FPV but the effect it will have on their current and future customer base is unclear.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:45   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Nope ... the HSV, for all it's tackiness, poor ride and wierd arse tyre wear ... is faster .. It also seems that the ricier they make the body kits on the HSV the more the cletuses lap them up.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:52   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Those who don't like long posts can stop reading now.

Typhoon will be an undoubted success, it will offer the right combination of performance and price to ensure that it finds a very healthy niche market for itself - and it deserves to.

I suspect, however, that the proximity in price to the current GT will only exacerbate the already slow sales of that vehicle into a crawl. Certainly there are a few diehards for whom only an '8' is good enough but there are a lot more who will simply see the performance figures and decide that the Typhoon is a better thing for less money.

I've been considering this whole FPV marketing thing and there are a couple of elements that have me puzzled.
The first of these is the initial pricing strategy for the cars ~$60k for the GT and ~$70k for the GT-p was well below the expectations of the target audience and clearly aimed to go head to head with the Clubbie and R8 thus leaving the XR8 to play with the SS. This was somewhat in line with the final T-Series pricing but not the early ones where the TS series of cars were closer to $85k (and the TE $65k). I don't know whether the additional money would have given us better performance but it could have provided a better pair of gearboxes to make use of the available grunt.
It goes against the grain to say it but I have to wonder if this aggressive pricing strategy wasn't a bad idea in hindsight. A GT-p that was 10k dearer but which gained in performance for the money might well have given the dark side a better run for their money. I guess we'll never know.

The other thing that continues to puzzle me is the development of the Typhoon and the proximity in price to GT assuming the scuttlebut ends up being correct. For a few dollars more than XR8 (which will no doubt suffer worst) and a few dollars less than GT this vehicle will offer more performance than either and with fairly similar kit. Only a couple fo scenarios make sense to me here: 1. the GT will end up a dead duck or 2. the GT will see a reasonable hike in price in return for something (hopefully more actual go). Of course I don't have the wisdom or crystal ball gazing skills of the FPV team so I am probably wide of the mark here but it just doesn't make sense on any other basis unless the tea leaf readers are really convinced that these are different target markets.

I guess time will tell.

Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:05   #5 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
...I am probably wide of the mark here but it just doesn't make sense on any other basis unless the tea leaf readers are really convinced that these are different target markets.
Sad thing is mate, I think you're right on the money. FPV are definately thinking that these vehicles are targeted at two completely different crowds. Hence the Ricey "F6" tag for the Typhoon.
To quote a Customer relations person from FPV...
"Our focus groups have shown us that the Techno market (ie Rice) identify with the digit id's such as R32 for the Skyline. That is why we've decided to name it the 'F6' Typhoon."

Personally I think the Typhoon will sell well, kill the XR8, GT & GT-P into being irrelevant dinosaurs & leave FPV with no-where to go but to up the herbs on the GT & GT-P.

Glad I'm not in their shoes...
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum