GT Brake ware, is this acceptable?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2005, 22:26   #1 (permalink)

GT Brake ware, is this acceptable??

Ok GT owners, how many k's have you done?
Mine has 50,000 on it.
My GT is being serviced today, just had a call from the dealer to advise me that the front brake pads have about 5k and will need replacing soon, fair enough I was expecting that.
HOWEVER, apparently the rotors also need replacing at the same time as they are down to the ware limit!!!!!!
Bare in mind they haven't ever even been machined!!!
At 50,000 k's this premier Ford product needs new brakes....oh and the price, 'looking after me at a fleet rate': $1700+.
This car is manual too, hate to think what mileage you'd get out of brakes on an auto???
Does anyone find this acceptable.....or would anyone buy a car like this knowing that every two years or 50k's you need to spend that kind of money to replace the front brakes?
Oh and has anyone actually had to do this???
Desa 999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2005, 22:37   #2 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

Re: GT Brake ware, is this acceptable??

are these the brembo option?
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 22:58   #3 (permalink)

No, the FPV slotted rotor and blue caliper.
They'd be a bargain, Brembo's at that price, but still an unacceptable mileage to my mind.
Desa 999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 00:07   #4 (permalink)

Not good enough but about average.

Dont get the brakes done at Ford though, complete rip off. You should be able to get DBA equivalents for a hell of a lot less.
mondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:23   #5 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desa 999
No, the FPV slotted rotor and blue caliper.
They'd be a bargain, Brembo's at that price, but still an unacceptable mileage to my mind.

that surprises me. i thought it was the brembos that everyone was upset about, which is why we shied away from the GT-P.
as mondie says go DBA.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:48   #6 (permalink)
Beastmaster

I had 85,000km on my GT-P when I sold it and it still had lots of breake wear left.
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:21   #7 (permalink)
Injection is nice But

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I had 85,000km on my GT-P when I sold it and it still had lots of breake wear left.

Mate Ford do not make the brake componants. Don't get ford to touch them.Find a brake specilist.

At 40,000klm's I machined the front discs(still in specs) & replaced the pads with Bendix ultimates @ $ 85.00 .

If you have to replace the discs go the DBA rotors.

Now you may pay a little more for someone to do the job. But nowhere near the money you have been quoted.

Brett
BAGTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 16:39   #8 (permalink)

I had an auto AU II XR8 with the premium brakes from 2001 to 2003. I got 45000 from the pads and was told that within 5k the rotors would need replacing. When I looked at them you could see the wear. I don't think that's acceptable. I didn't get quoted for rotor replacement as I was in the process of buying a GTP. It has the brembos as standard and thanks to the forum I know I can get replacement pads from sources other than Ford.

Jim Young
Jim Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 16:57   #9 (permalink)
Beastmaster

Hey guys, remember what brakes do......
If you want to stop quickly and consistantly you will need brake material that is tough and grippy and rotors that are also grippy i.e. lots of friction.
If they are not they will last a lot longer but not retard as well.
Bigger rotors & pads = more area to grip and distribute friction (heat).
Also wear is relative to usage. If you are a "middle pedal pusher" and stop/start all the time you will eat your brakes quite quickly, if on the other hand you coast a lot and estimate rundowns rather than brake late you will achieve a much better result.
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 14:47   #10 (permalink)
Snerlo

I have the premium brakes on my AUII XR8 and had the same wear problem at about 55k km. Rediculous prices to replace the rotors with the same elliptical rotors so I shopped around. Ended up putting Bendix Advance pads in the front for about $100 and bought DBA slotted rotors for about $270 for the pair. I then decided to match the rear rotors up with the fronts and these cost me about $100 for the pair. The rear pads are still the standard ones. I didn't really notice any difference in performance. Maybe a really tiny bit but nothing that you would really notice in real world driving. There is no brake dust on the front wheels which is another bonus. All I can say is that Ford should be ashamed of themselves for providing us fans with cars (with premium brakes) that need new components at such a quick rate. Saying that, I would still buy a car with good brakes. Unfortunately, we as the consumer have to put up or shut up. Just my thoughts.
Leon.
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum