Ford Forums banner

GT Fuel tank capacity ?

7K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  cwarden 
#1 · (Edited)
Twice now i've filled up the fuel tank,when the warning came on according to my trip computer that it has 80 klm left,which is pretty low i would imgine,so i filled it up but could only manage to put in about 55 lts.I thought they are supposed to have a 68lt fuel tank.Anybody else seem to be having the same outcome ?
Cheers John

#4 ·
Yeah John, I was talking about this in the Ute forum the other week aswell. My BA ute has only been able to achieve 70 litre maximum's. And that's after i've done approx 50 or so kays after the DTE thingy has said 0km in the tank???? I guess they are programmed to be on the safe side.

#5 ·
What size fuel tank have the utes got? ,I still think that the GT's should have a larger capacity tank.
Cheers John

#6 ·
I agree, the GT's tank is simply too small. Does anyone know of a (un)official mod to increase the tank capacity.

#7 ·
Re: Re: GT Fuel tank capacity ?

GTP 320 said:
What size fuel tank have the utes got? ,I still think that the GT's should have a larger capacity tank.
Cheers John
The utes are quoted as having an 82 litre tank, but i've never got near that?

#11 ·
I agree, the trip comp’s are pretty conservative, I remember a while ago driving a ute on straight gas for a while nom. capacity 90L, never put more than 75L in it. Also XH Outback the most I’ve put in it is about 115L after driving for an uncomfortably long time with the low fuel light on against stated capacity of 126L.

Might be an idea to drive your car dry while it is still new and hasn’t had crud built up in the bottom of the tank (old wives tale I know). Remember to take a jerry can of fuel with you though!

Eightoftwelve I think you are right, would be great to have a long range tank again. Great to be able to drive a full day’s travel without needing to refuel (done in Outback & XW GT). A big tank for a big country! However the tank under the back seat prevents this, unless possible to have a second tank behind the axle? Bit early for aftermarket yet, but surely that is the only way it will happen.

#12 ·
Thanks outback_ute, good to see other people have common sense about the range of these beasts. Remember, they are GRAND TOURERs.!!

#14 ·
Another thing to remember is that the DTE is a projection based on driving pattern. If you go from cruise-control-flat-highway to city traffic, expect the DTE to fall through the floor very rapidly. If the opposite change takes place, the DTE will increase for a while. It would be good if the system was accurate enough to show litres left, but DTE is easier to understand and a conservative estimate is appropriate – far better than the alternative!

(Now wedges tongue firmly in cheek) To increase the range, wouldn’t it be possible to run dual fuel, with the tanks in the spare wheel well?

#15 ·
I have never run mine dry and I wonder if doing so will cause megagreif ala the commodorees of a few years ago.
When travelling in the bush I use 3 plastic jerrycans that I aquired from a 4WD shop some time ago. Not that you need a screwdriver to push in the flap in the filler hole otherwise it isa VERY slow process refilling.
As far as bigger tank, a lot ot you guys are whinging that the GTs are too heavy now. 1l of petrol is approx .72 kg (+/- 2% depending on mixture) 100l = 72kg etc....

#16 ·
Thats getting a bit technical ?

#17 ·
BA XR8, DTE 30, max fuel in was a tad over 55 litres. I could squeeze 65 litres into an AU XR6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.