GT & GTP Manual Vs Auto - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Does the GT or GT-P perform better in Manual or Auto
Manual 25 59.52%
Auto 13 30.95%
Can't split em 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2003, 17:32   #1 (permalink)

cool GT & GTP Manual Vs Auto

Hom many manual GT & GTP-S are out there Vs the new Auto?

Some tell the auto is the best by far, even smokes em up with ease. Myself went for the manual thinking to get another 0.5kw of power and so wanting to get the most bang for my buck. Are the auto's better these days given the tip-tronics and can hold them in like a manual etc, i'm sure you al know. What about the power lost in the drive train? Is there any loss?

Whose driven both or compared and can solve add to the dilemna?

Add to the Poll if you like too.......
rbuchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2003, 17:35   #2 (permalink)

cool GT & GTP Manual Vs Auto

How many manual GT & GTP-S are out there Vs the new Auto?

Some tell the auto is the great, even smokes em up with ease. Myself went for the manual thinking to get another 0.05kw of power and so wanting to get the most bang for my buck. Are the auto's better these days given the tip-tronics and can hold them in like a manual etc, I'm sure someone knows. What about the power lost in the drive train? Is there any loss?

Whose driven both or compared and can solve add to the dilemna?

Add to the Poll if you like too.......
rbuchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 18:05   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: GT & GTP Manual Vs Auto

Having driven both under track conditions I'd have to say that under those conditions the manual would be my first choice if only because there is a marginally higher degree of control, a better spread of ratios (for Sandown anyway) and the auto has a habit of not holding downshifts when it gets a bit overheated.

In terms of straight line performance there are only fractions between them in 0-100 and standing 400 m times with most drivers achieving quicker times from the auto due to the difficulty in launching the manual cleanly.

Build numbers to date favour the auto in a 63:37 split but this is probably impacted by the higher number of GT-p sales.

There are greater driveline losses from the torque convertor although they are nowhere near what they traditionally were. Greater impact is likely to come from the overall difference in gear ratios anyway.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 18:36   #4 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

I still find the auto does not respond quick enough.
The manual is also a little quicker if you can man handle a stick quick enough.

I have more control of the whole package with the manual.

But, the auto is improving.......

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 22:57   #5 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

I'll add my comments based on my experiences with an auto XR8. I believe the autos are quicker down the strip than the manuals in both the XR8's and the GT's, although it would be very minimal differences in the GT as both auto's and manuals run the same diff ratio whereas the XR8 manual has a taller diff ratio. I have run a 14.2 in my stock XR8 at Calder which is quicker than any times I have seen for manual XR8's. Manuals aren't geared as well as they should be although the first gear in the autos is too tall, and they are very hard to get off the line without wheelspin, which I think is their biggest problem. An auto will leave the line against the stall at 2500rpm and just chirp the tyres where if you use that many revs in a manual you will most likely wheelspin for a fair distance. Consistancy is also better in an auto where a manual will be all over the place in times as it will either wheelspin or bog down, as finding the sweetspot seems to be very hard. Look how hard Motor had to try to get a 13.98 out of a GT. Just my thoughts, although I'm sure a lot of you will disagree.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 22:58   #6 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Well it all depend's on how you like and want to drive,if you want to race go manual,if you want to cruise go auto,there is a difference in the power loss through the drivetrain it's about 25-30% for a manual and 30-35% for an auto,the auto in stock trim will bogg down of the line compared to the manual,but like I said it all come's down to personal prefrence and just what you want from your ride and how you want to drive it.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 00:27   #7 (permalink)

never a truer word spoken all comes down to personal preferance , manual for me
newgtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 01:25   #8 (permalink)

I just love my auto, it's had the herrods teatment and will have the induction done in about 2 weeks the wheel spin is amazing and its only going to get better.It lays rubber with ease and after seeing Cam's GTP do 13.7 at Calder with ordinary tyres and to much wheel spin of the launch with a better technic that time could come down to the low 13s easy.
I find the auto's in the GT's bullet prove in manual mode they are just great to play with and will match it with most.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 01:32   #9 (permalink)

i agree with ya john
mygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 02:38   #10 (permalink)

Manual for me too.

After owning an auto TS50 l new l could never own another auto V8.

Just wish the manuals didnt have so much driveleine lash.
mondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum