GT-P AUTO test drive- lack of reel RUSH! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2004, 23:30   #1 (permalink)

GT-P AUTO test drive- lack of reel RUSH!

Thismorning i took out an auto GT-P. i have driven a manual GT before but not an auto GT-(p) until now. firstly i have to say that the auto is fantastic....but i honestly cant see why you would get one with a car like this. the manual GT i drove previously was fantastic...did all the right things...was a real street muscle racer. the auto is perfect for cruising....but i have to say that driving my turbo is more fun! (not just because i put my own money down for the turbo either!!)
Motor magazene rated the turbo Aus's best Muscle Car...because it FEELS like its going harder than anything else, it gives you the rush. well i have to say the auto in the GT-P today gave me no rush! it sounded great and still went like a cut cat...but just didnt do much for me. the manual GT-(p) is so much more fun to drive than the auto its not funny!
i also noticed that it lacked a fair bit of go from about 2700-3500revs when compared to the rest of the rev range.
other than that, the brakes were AWESOME!! my hair is still pushed forward from the negative Gs!
i know this was an auto, but the manual GT felt ALOT quicker.....is it the 'box...or is it true that the standard GT is quicker than the GT-P regardless of the gearbox? in magezenes i have not seen a GT-P get under about 6.2 0-100 (or crack a 14sec 1/4). Whereas the GT i have read can do 0-100 in 5.8 and 1/4 in 13.9
all in all ide save $4K and get a standard GT with brembos...(manual ofcourse!)
just my thoughts guys. (wish i had a BA GT!)
Venom XR Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2004, 02:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: GT-P AUTO test drive- lack of reel RUSH!

All to our own ,there really isn't much difference between them at all and just because you drove an auto for 5 minutes or so i think your a bit harsh in your criticism,what you have to do is play with the seqential shift,i certainly have no regrets about getting an auto they are really fantastic a bullet proof box and Cam's GTP has done under 14s
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 02:40   #3 (permalink)

I would think that the major difference in performance would be the Auto Vs Manual rather than Gt Vs GT-P. The GT-P is marginally heavier than the GT but for all other parameters that would effect straight line go they are identical. I chose the GT-P (manual) over the GT (Note that more GT-P's sold than GT's) for the extra creature comforts. The GT-P is a car that can be driven and enjoyed like a luxury car or driven hard like a genuine muscle car, almost two distinct personalities.
The real joy of a GT-P is country touring. I recently drove from Melbourne up into the Snowy Mountains. In the steep and winding roads up in the snowys it performed just magic. No need to push hard, just squeeze the accelerator and let the torque of the Boss 290 propel the car easily up the steepest sections. No problems either with the seemingly endless downhill sections, the Bembros just keep on performing without any hint of fade. These cars deliver the true Grand Touring experience, I think it is a mistake to get too wrapt up in 0-100 or mile performance, these cars are GTs not street racers.
GT-P 0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 16:51   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Isn't the 1st gear a very tall gear in the autos? That would account for what you perceived as a lack of punch off the line, though the difference would probably be marginal if you factored in an average launch and an average change to 2nd.

IMO, the GT is wasted on the 1/4 mile. As suggested, it's a grand tourer... the joy of driving a GT is to plonk it on a nice secluded strip of winding road and cruise effortlessly along it. My XW GT never saw a 1/4 mile strip, but I've never had a car before or since that rivalled the pleasure of driving nowhere in particular for no good reason, Bulli pass was darn hairy though.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 22:37   #5 (permalink)

i know what your saying rodp, the GT is fantastic for touring and still has balls...but it is meant to be the car taking it to the HSVs...which it aint doing to well! a hell of a hot of people buy these cars because of how quick they are in a straight line...and how fast they are/feel, which is why i went into the matter that it was a little dissapointing with the amount of go it did have. i just reckon it SHOULD have been/felt quicker.
Venom XR Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 02:21   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom XR Turbo
i know what your saying rodp, the GT is fantastic for touring and still has balls...but it is meant to be the car taking it to the HSVs...which it aint doing to well! a hell of a hot of people buy these cars because of how quick they are in a straight line...and how fast they are/feel, which is why i went into the matter that it was a little dissapointing with the amount of go it did have. i just reckon it SHOULD have been/felt quicker.
As I now own two of them, the new one has 1400k on it already, it feels the same as mine already in the power range. The GT has enough creature comforts for me, there is a very marginal difference in the dash set up. As for power, each car is different, the manual has definately got abit more pull than the auto. I have done the cold air and cats back on both cars, ive said it before and I will say it again, the cold air system is the best mod you can do. It gives it that kick in the backside that it needs, HUGE DIFFERENCE, its very noticable. As for the weight of GT to GTP, bugger all, its all down to the box and the individual car. I drove a stock GTP manual recently, what a slug compared to mine, the dealer was hanging on for dear life, I just laughed at him, and said, mine would eat it for breakfast, no cold air or exaust on that car. As for the rush, no stock turbo would slam you back in the seat as hard as mine would, 4000rpm in second, then boot it, see how it goes then.
Adventra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 02:43   #7 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

This should really be a comparison about Auto V's manual not GT auto V's GT manual because no matter what make or model vehicle it may be the manual will feel better in the performance area(speaking manufactured vehicle's here not F1 or the like)and plus it's not all about speed these day's it's the overall package which in my mind the AUTO GT-P win's hand's down.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 03:15   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
This should really be a comparison about Auto V's manual not GT auto V's GT manual because no matter what make or model vehicle it may be the manual will feel better in the performance area(speaking manufactured vehicle's here not F1 or the like)and plus it's not all about speed these day's it's the overall package which in my mind the AUTO GT-P win's hand's down.
Well said,your right on the ball.
Cheers John

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
Old 04-18-2004, 03:19   #9 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
Well said,your right on the ball.
Cheers John
Cheer's mate, and might I add "I love your vehicle" what you have done to your GT-P is exactly what I would have done, had I bought one.both you and Cam, awsome vehicle's.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 03:23   #10 (permalink)

I owe you a drive lol
Cheers John

www.fpvxrclub.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum