GT running in oil? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 16:11   #1 (permalink)

GT running in oil?

I've had a quick search of the forums, so I hope this hasn't been covered already. Anyway, I had my 3000Km service last week, and requested that the oil and filter be changed. The service guy said that FPV put Catrol Formula R in from new, so there was no special running in oil used and the oil should be OK until 15,000Kms.

I read the product spec sheet for the oil which stated that it should not be used to run engines in...at least not until 1000km of road use has lapsed. So now I'm a little confused, what does FPV put into the sump from new?? (By the way, I had the oil changed anyway)

Thanx, Cam.
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 20:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: GT running in oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron
I've had a quick search of the forums, so I hope this hasn't been covered already. Anyway, I had my 3000Km service last week, and requested that the oil and filter be changed. The service guy said that FPV put Catrol Formula R in from new, so there was no special running in oil used and the oil should be OK until 15,000Kms.

I read the product spec sheet for the oil which stated that it should not be used to run engines in...at least not until 1000km of road use has lapsed. So now I'm a little confused, what does FPV put into the sump from new?? (By the way, I had the oil changed anyway)

Thanx, Cam.
my understanding is that is that castrol formula r used to be used from new however due to issues non-synthetic oil is now used for running in i would press your service guy for more info
Whingebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 21:11   #3 (permalink)
Previously Black XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron

Thanx, Cam.
I know that a fix for the oil consumption issue was to run mineral oil for one service interval....after that Synthetic will be fine and oil usage should stop....in theory
Old 01-04-2005, 21:41   #4 (permalink)

they actualy changed the ring package........ They are filled from factory with castrol.
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:24   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
they actualy changed the ring package........ They are filled from factory with castrol.
Yes they did that (change piston / ring package). They also now run mineral base oil (since nov 04?) as factory fill to aid ring bed in. 3000km is close enough kms to run the mineral oil, I believe, and would change it to castrol synthetic r at the 3000km
dumbarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:33   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbarse
Yes they did that (change piston / ring package). They also now run mineral base oil (since nov 04?) as factory fill to aid ring bed in. 3000km is close enough kms to run the mineral oil, I believe, and would change it to castrol synthetic r at the 3000km
Well thats kinda strange cos when you get a warranty engine from FPV for one of there cars it gets filled at the dealers with 0/40 castrol synthetic oil..........lol
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:34   #7 (permalink)
MYF6

Had the F6 3000Km service a few weeks ago and asked they drop the oil and change the filter. They told me FPV use Castrol GTX3. They suggested running mineral for the first 5,000 to 10,000 just so everything beds in ok and from then use synthetic.

Imho 15,000Km between oil changes is way too long - especially for a turbo or V8 you drive 'enthusiastically' as they so nicely put it. Fresh oil and filters are cheap compared the effects of running old oil.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:05   #8 (permalink)

It dont matter what oil you use just change it regular i do mine every 5k if you have a heavy right foot like mine $50 each 4th month is cheaper than a set of rings.
Old 01-05-2005, 18:09   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
Well thats kinda strange cos when you get a warranty engine from FPV for one of there cars it gets filled at the dealers with 0/40 castrol synthetic oil..........lol
That's even stranger as my Warranty engine came with Castrol GTX3 Mineral Oil, filled at the dealer. They also recommended changing to Synthetic at 10,000. I've already done my own filter and oil change at 5,000, still GTX3.

BA GT, Manual, Mercury Silver/Stripes, SS CIA, BMC Airfilter, Quad Exhaust.
Rod33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 22:27   #10 (permalink)
Sex on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFOOL
It dont matter what oil you use just change it regular i do mine every 5k if you have a heavy right foot like mine $50 each 4th month is cheaper than a set of rings.
Are you serious? Back when i was a student, i used to use Black and Gold brand oil for the changes in my 180b. Only cost me $5 for 4 litres. Boy what a saving!!! Pity my rings and valve stem seals were shot after 6 months.

Click here to see full size avatar....

Autos are for lazy drivers
GTPChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum