Ford Forums banner

Gt Speed Limited ?

7K views 79 replies 41 participants last post by  sniper545 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard if the GT's are to be speed limited or not? I was told today from the dealer that the XR6T are limited to 170kph. If so can i get the factory to remove it before i take delivery as it will be disapointing when i do the odd track day.

Mick.R

#4 ·
I don't see why they need to speed limit the cars to 230km/h. If you're doing 230km/h on normal roads you're a dead set idiot anyway. But speed limiting them, which might only take 30kays off their top speed, takes alot of bragging rights away from us.

#9 ·
Limiters are there for a few reasons I think you'll find. One reason is that the manufacturers have to cover the warranty on the car at what ever speeds it can do. If you travel at these speeds for a long time the temp of everything goes up heaps. Engine oil temp goes through the roof as well as all other fluids. This can cause premature wear if not controlled. The easiest way to control it is to limit speed and RPM, which is what they do! Secondly I think the manufacturers have some responsabliity to limit the speeds people can do for the consumers own safety. We all know some people are idiots!! 230km/h is very fast if your coming up to a car thats doing 100km/h. I have been doing 260km/h on my bike past cars and the distance you travel in 1 second is huge compared to 100. Some people can't cope with the difference and get them selves into trouble, possibly with other people involved.

I also think its funny people wingeing about the limits put on cars in Australia. Have alook at BMW's, Merc's and the like. Almost all the cars except for the outright sports cars are limited to around 250km/h. And its been that way for a long time. Its the same as the japanese power limit of 206Kw. Its a limit that they allmost all stick to.

Its fun to go extremely fast in they right conditions, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to be taken out by an idiot in a car, who has no experience doing 200km/h+ when I'm out on a drive with the family. These cars with there limits where they are more than fast enough for the average Joe, and if your playing on a race track or the like its easy enough to override the limiters!!!

#10 ·
Couldn't have said it better harasn.

Speed limiters are only an issue if you're a serious track enthusiast, not a road enthusiast... and even then, it would take a good track with a long straight to get over 230kph!

Removing the limiter for road use is pretty stupid IMO :rant:

#11 ·
Mr Sparkle said:

Speed limiters are only an issue if you're a serious track enthusiast, not a road enthusiast... and even then, it would take a good track with a long straight to get over 230kph!

I think someone on here said that they can "only" get a XR6T to 170km/h on the straight at sandown race track if I remember right. So whats the point even then! The GT i think will be limited to 250km/h I think. Fast enough for me!

PS. Sparkles I like youe Avatar!!!

#13 ·
If the limits are hadly every achieved then why have them at all? The idiots on the road who kill the innocents do it at speeds only 30-40km/h over the limit anyways so its not like top speeds are the problem.

Another thought I have is when entereing any of these vehicles in targa tasmania, procar events or even for your average weekend racer they will not be able to match the speeds of the other cars on the longer streches of the track... or do the regs allow this to be taken off for racing?

#14 ·
In relation to speed limiters on cars.. Can you tell me when & how often you are going to take an XR6T or an XR8 above say 150km/h on a regular basis? Not all that often.

As harasn & Sparkles have said.. Speed Limiters are there for a reason. I for one am thanking christ that they are..

#15 ·
FALCON COUNTRY said:
only 250????
thats noo way near enough
i heard the ss goes up to 260
I'm sorry, but I still don't see what relevance top speed has apart from WANK VALUE :wank:

As I said before, even in track use, you'd be lucky to see over 230kph even in Targa Tassie. I'm sure though that limiters can be removed for some classes in motorsport... where it is deemed necessary.. unlike doing it for road use!

#16 ·
Mr Sparkle said:

so considering you live in melbounrne you'll be happy with a 110 kph speed limiter put on your car?

#17 ·
Can it not be equally argued that 0-100km/h and 400m times are just as irrelevant as top speed? The times recorded in magazines are from one guy only... he could have got a dud of car X and a pearler of car Y, car X doesn't suit his driving but car Y does, etc etc. It could significantly change times he recorded.

Everything is just about bragging rights with your mates, or wank value as you put it, but what else have we got to argue with? "I really like my car cos its brand x and it rocks" just doesn't cut the mustard.

Now I'm not going to care that much if the limits stay forever, but until I see proof of guys getting up to such speeds on open roads and killing people then I won't be converted into thinking that they are a good thing.

And if the cars are delimited then it would at least make one magazine article a year a bit more interesting and eliminate all discussion like "I wonder how fast it would have gone" or "haha your car is limited".

I know not many people agree with me and I'm young but that is just my opinion.

#19 ·
quarter mile times are wank value. I never race people for a quarter mile on the road. It's normally to a certian speed (say 80 or at the very most about 130)
Which is funney because there are a lot of cars that will punch it to 60 or 80 super quick but still take the quarter at more than 16sec.

#20 ·
Why would any sane person have the need to drive a car so fast (200km/hr+)? Limiter or no limiter, who has ever really had the need to hit that speed? :eek:hman:

#22 ·
My sort of cousin has had the need to hit that speed, he took me to 205km/h in his VS SS!!!!!!

But he did this in nowhere land, so it isn't as bad as doing it on a road in suburbs. I don't know why, but people just want to do those speeds, and i don't have problem with them doing those speeds unless of course, its in a public area!

anakha, i plant it to 100km/h on the ramp, because my gemini won't go much further!!!!!!! ;)

#23 ·
Its interesting to read some of your replys to the speed limit thing. I actually thought that the majority would say I was an idiot but it would appear that the majority are realistic in their self imposed speed limits. In every day driving 1/4mile times and the like mean absolutly nothing. If its down at the pub you need "bragging rights" then start riding a motor bike. Its the only way to get affordable performance and "bragging rights" if thats what matters to you.

I have previously had a car that was speed limited to 180km/h. I never once hit the limiter. The highest I got was 160km/h on back roads. Ironically after signing up for a BA and then having to rush to work. I would never do these speeds normally in the real world as its unsafe unless the road has been shut off like in a rally or something. Even then its unsafe due to wildlife not being able to read signs. Kangroo's are stupid as you all know. At the same time though I know I'm lucky in that the job I have allows me to do 200km/h+ in a somewhat safe environment.

Personally, apart from when overtaking I never go over 115-120 due to police fines and the like.

Now if they give everyone the same training that I have had to travel at speed and improve the roads then they can increase the speed limits by all means. Thats something that you need to realise to is that at speed that small almost unfeelable bump in the road can really upset the car handling and ride. A strong wind up the bum of the car make them feel damb nervous when going fast!!!

I wonder what Laminge will limit his car too.

#26 ·
listen guys if im paying all this money for a high performance GT and i want to do a BLUES BROTHERS up the east coast of NSW than its my perogative!
Now seriously i have done many track days before and i was told from the dealer that it was limited to 170 or so but if its 230 or near to it than thats fine so stop arguing over nothing. i think we should be more concerned with the majority of drivers sticking to the limit who fail to indicate or pull out in front of you because they may be one car behind.

mick.r

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.