GTHO, Superchargers and THE BULGE - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2003, 15:37   #1 (permalink)

GTHO, Superchargers and THE BULGE

Finally just got myself registered, so excuse me if this is old news, but a few pieces of a certain puzzle have been coming together for me.

I read somewhere (Motor last month?) that "train spotters" will note that there has been a change in the profile of the BA bonnet bulge since the pre-launch cars. The bulge now goes right down to the front bonnet line, and is reportedly "65mm higher" than previous.

Hard to check when you consider that all the XR8 ads seem to have the bulge right on the staple lines in the double page spread, but then they ran the ute TV ad again this week and the difference is completely obvious.

So then you get the GT story that says that the chief engine guys say that the GT engine is "already very, very efficient", which mean that there is no more power there in normally aspirated form.

The theory then is that the new bulge can only be because of the extra space needed to fit in teh blower!!

Early times for the GT of course suggest that this is the least that FPV will need to do to claim HO status......
two4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2003, 17:25   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

welcome to FF 240 !!

The bulge was lengthened to help with the manufacturing and according to ford to make it look better (I don't agree..but everyone is entitled to their opinion). If you look at pics of the original bulge and add 65mm then you will be about 3 inches shy of the roof line !!
There are plenty more ways to mount a blower than on the top .. in fact mounting a blower on the top of a V configuration is becoming rarer .. most CAPA and such blowers are mounted on the front.. There is also bulk room UNDER the manifold that could be used (dunno about heat transfer though) as well.

I wouldn't write off the Boss motors in NA form yet.. but I still don't think there is a lot left in them.. not with the truck style long stroke !
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 04:47   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

would a turbo setup require extra heightening of the bonnet?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 06:11   #4 (permalink)
Driver of a BA XR8!

Would a turbo even fit in a BOSS motor? The exhaust is a tight squeeze. Hmm, interesting to find out?

Alex

"Give me any task to do, and I will find something else to do in it's place." Plato - a definition of procrastination
maco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 06:15   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

Where are you going to fit two, reasonably sized turbos? + piping.. pretty tight.. Plus you have no turbo modular production experience to base it off. You could possibly fdit them where lindenfelder fits the turbos on the twin turbo vette (very awkwards in the wheel arches)..

Supercharger is the best option, heatsoak isn't such a problem if a intercooler is fitted, which should be a peice of cake, XR6T item please..They are pretty efficent these days, and I belive could easily be accomodated into a Boss engine bay.

A supercharger would replace alot of the induction pipining anyway.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 16:19   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: GTHO, Superchargers and THE BULGE

Quote:
Originally posted by two4oh
[
Early times for the GT of course suggest that this is the least that FPV will need to do to claim HO status...... [/B]
Latest times posted here for the GT were a 5.8 in NZ and a 5.7 by FPV.

The times they are a changin'.

Like a lot of people have been saying they're new and with a little bit of experience, drivers will learn how to get the best out of them.
Ford Futura Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 16:31   #7 (permalink)
Patriotic Aussie car fan

I think this is an excellent theory you have 240. Of course Ford aren't going to tell the 'REAL' reason for the buldge changes. I think if there is a supercharger fitted it will be between the banks as this is how the U.S. V8's have them, and I see Ford Aus using as much of their developed technology than re-doing what has already done OS. Also, the more they lift from American cars, the cheaper it will be for Ford Aus to develop, and (theoretically) the lower the sell price for the GTHO (or whatever) will be.
Old 03-16-2003, 18:28   #8 (permalink)
gone

The top layer of the bonet was changed, not the bottom, so unfortunately your theory is wrong.

Welcome to the forums though.
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 18:46   #9 (permalink)
Frantic Ford Fanatic

The AEC 300+ Falcons had a Sprintex S/Charger in the valley blowing out the front to an intercooler and then back to the top of the motor. If you have a look under the bonnet of a 5.4L V8 you've got mobs of room.

Old car = AU Futura, Galaxy blue, IRS, 16" mags, DBA Slotted rotors. Pity to see it go, very good, under- rated car, RIP
ricthewheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 19:30   #10 (permalink)
BattensPerformanceTuning

Have a look at the kenne bell supercharger website, you will see how Ford would use a valley mounted charger, the same as fitted to the Lighning 5.4 Ltr. Much more efficient and slimer profile. And only half an hour to fit.
Also known as edxr8ebgt, BA GT #16, Blueprint, Premium Sound, Leather.
GT-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum