GTP VS XR6 TURBO....Problems & Issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2004, 03:52   #1 (permalink)
No stars in my eyes

GTP VS XR6 TURBO....Problems & Issues

I have been reading alot of posts at the moment about the probs with the GT and GTP models & XR8, some minor & some serious.....Is their any Issues and known problems with the XR6 NA & Turbo Models. What I am curious about is, do the XR6 models have similar probs to the GT/P XR8.

Also...Question???.......The upcomming F6 Typhoon.....do you think it will be better to own the F6...OR ...GT in terms of, performance & price.

L:

Proud Owner of a Tickford TE-50 T3 No 033.....13.62 @ 102.07mph..0-100-4.988 secs
firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2004, 04:04   #2 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Re: GTP VS XR6 TURBO....Problems & Issues

Well the F6 will be priced the same as the GT one is focused on those who have followed the GT name thru it's roots and for those who love the V8 and the F6 will be focused on a completely different market.Performance will be the same in standard form for both cars.The main idea will be to keep both cars equal in status it is just aimed at two different markets.
FPVGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 04:05   #3 (permalink)
Club Phantom

I did a reasonable amount of research before buying my GTP and like most here compared against the XR6. However, upon further investigation it became evident to me that there was a very real and serious problem with the XR6 ...... it was missing 2 cylinders!!!!

V8's forever!!
COUPEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 04:05   #4 (permalink)

New model syndrome I suppose, although some of the problems have been long running ones inhereted from the AU era.

Personally the F6 will be one awesome performer, but at the end of the day if you like hairdriers you will go the F6, you like the V8 you'll go the GT. Personal preferences.

Mine??

GT....lurve dem Supercars!!!!
Old 05-15-2004, 04:13   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox7
IAlso...Question???.......The upcomming F6 Typhoon.....do you think it will be better to own the F6...OR ...GT in terms of, performance & price.

L:
That's a hard question to answer as the Typhoon has not been released yet,but from all reports it will be a quick car and the reliability is yet to be proven but im sure that it will be a good car in its class ,as for me its the BIG V8.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 04:23   #6 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

The earlier XR6Ts had a few problems but most of them seem to be sorted out.

Things like waste gates not opening or closing. The ECU would go into limp mode after an over boost fault.

Stalling in heat,

Brake shudder was another problem (John, does the GTs suffer from this? the ones without premium brakes that is)

I've had no problems with my XR6T so far. My only bitch is drive line shunt which I'm hearing that a lot of GTs are suffering from from as well.

I guess it all comes down to first of the series, but that's what warranty is for.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:11   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie XR6
The earlier XR6Ts had a few problems but most of them seem to be sorted out.

Things like waste gates not opening or closing. The ECU would go into limp mode after an over boost fault.

Stalling in heat,

Brake shudder was another problem (John, does the GTs suffer from this? the ones without premium brakes that is)

I've had no problems with my XR6T so far. My only bitch is drive line shunt which I'm hearing that a lot of GTs are suffering from from as well.

I guess it all comes down to first of the series, but that's what warranty is for.
To answer your question i havent experienced Brake shudder but then mine are Brembo's
Cherrs John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 18:24   #8 (permalink)
Show Me the Boost!!

I know that there is a problem with diff tolerences causing the driveline shunt, but we lessened the effect (that annoying bang) by putting our xr6t on the hoist and tightening all the bolts in the rear suspension cradle.
Its not totally gone but the noise has been lessened.
Fan-TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 18:45   #9 (permalink)

We have both an XR6 Turbo and a GTP they are both brilliant cars. Both have had power upgrades of around 70kw at the wheels, the turbo has had the following problems due to stress i beleive;
Clutch at 15,000
Discs Warped
Drive shafts
Tail shaft
Water pump leaks
Why i dont know maybe just one of those lemons? but the GTP has had no dramas at all and has had just as much track time. I like the weight of the turbo on the track it seems more balanced which it is but it just doesnt give the same thrill as with the GTP with the same power upgrades it is more of a race car feel on the track, more grunty and throaty noises.It really comes done to money i believe, it costs less to get power out of the turbo but to me it feels like a claytons performance car not a thorobred like the GTP.

Elmer Fudd
BOSSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:10   #10 (permalink)
No stars in my eyes

Some interesting points raised between the 2 models......with the driveline shunt......is this a problem from day 1 owning the car or a gradual problem that gets worse or ...suddenly happens overnight?

The reason i have been asking these questions is that I am in serious Limbo in which car to buy....I will be buying 2 cars....One car will be a standard BA ford wagon for the business.....the other is a toss up between the Ba XR6T....a Ba GT...Or T3. I have shyed away from the GT, mainly for the problems that has occurred with some owners and the one i drove about 5 months ago......beautiful to drive, no dought about it, but the power wasn't what i was expecting...felt like a T3 would run rings around it...but in another post some guys got fooled with it because of the smoothness..possibly could be the case...and the FLY BY WIRE felt really weird......then again as elmer & others have stated the XR6 Turbo is also not immune with it's own problems,then their's the T3 which is a nice car and ....the wife like's the T3 and they go very well indeed. At present...just trying to weigh up the pro's and con's. Nothing in this world is perfect, and will expect probs from any car that i purchase regardless of the make. I just don't want a headache ....but such is life i suppose.

Proud Owner of a Tickford TE-50 T3 No 033.....13.62 @ 102.07mph..0-100-4.988 secs
firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum