Ford Forums banner

GT's on track

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Noboss 
#1 ·
I wanted to know if any of you have taken your new FPV GT's on the track yet. I want to know if anyone has used semi slick tyres and had any drama's with brakes due to the extra grip that the tyres give. I am trying to work out whether I will go with the premium brake option or an aftermarket AP caliper with separate rotor and hub.

DEMO

#2 ·
i've had the pursuit out on the track for a few laps with the road tyres and i must say i found the brembo's faultless, if you have the option to choose these they are definately worth the money.
as for the factory premium brakes i can't help you out there at the moment. Although i am due to do the performance driving course that come free with the car in the next week, so i will see what the other cars are doing.

#3 ·
Cam's GTP 200 he's had his on a race track with his road tyres and Brembo brakes and he also agree's that they are fantastic set of brakes,but his rear tyres are starting to wear down.

#5 ·
I can't coment yet i've only done 600ks, how many K's have you done? Cheers John

#6 ·
Some people have had dramas with premature tyre wear, due to no more adjustment left in the caster/camber settings and quite a few shims in there. This can be rectified by getting a caster camber kit installed which allows more adjustment.

My ute with 18"s has done 8500km's and had good alignment settings, but is starting to wear on the outside edge, mostly due to enthusiastic cornering. The guy doing it said a caster camber kit will make tyre life longer while making adjustment more even.

#7 ·
Definately a good idea about putting in a camber and castor kit,i had mine done at Herrods when he did the lowered suspension that way you have a lot more to play with.Cheers John

#8 ·
demo king said:
I wanted to know if any of you have taken your new FPV GT's on the track yet. I want to know if anyone has used semi slick tyres and had any drama's with brakes due to the extra grip that the tyres give. I am trying to work out whether I will go with the premium brake option or an aftermarket AP caliper with separate rotor and hub.

DEMO
I had my GT at Oran Park last Saturday with full slicks on.

No great dramas with the premium brakes I only had them smoking at one stage.

Its up to you but for anything other than track work I dont think you could fault them. Bearing in mind you will have less weight than a GT.

My GT was ordered with the standard premium brake package as I feel there is better brakes on the market with a wider and cheaper selection of pads available.

I will be going after market as soon as funds allow, probably AP Racing calipers.

#11 ·
Re: Re: GT's on track

MARK'S DEE GT said:
I had my GT at Oran Park last Saturday with full slicks on.

No great dramas with the premium brakes I only had them smoking at one stage.

Its up to you but for anything other than track work I dont think you could fault them. Bearing in mind you will have less weight than a GT.

My GT was ordered with the standard premium brake package as I feel there is better brakes on the market with a wider and cheaper selection of pads available.

I will be going after market as soon as funds allow, probably AP Racing calipers.

Thanks Mark,

Thats the sort of info I am looking for. I have already scrapped my order for the premium brakes. I can save a few thousand dollars by choosong an aftermarket AP caliper and rotor set which is better than the premium option anyway. I can also fit these under 17" rims (the Ford premium option can only go under the 18" rims and they insist on a set of 5) which will save me heaps when I am getting a second set of rims to use with track tyres.

Thanks again, I may see you out on the track soon. Have you done the FPV owners day with John Bowe yet?

DEMO KING

Attachments

#12 ·
I was talking to John Falk at Oran Pk last month,he said he was running out of pedel in the TE50 and they use Brembos so thay went for some sort of defferent pads I think it worked, dont no forshaw. Get onto Team GT they will tell you whats the go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.