Has the change from Tickford to FPV been an improvement? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Is FPV the performance saviour of Ford?
Dam Straight. They are on the right track! 37 52.86%
FPV, A step foward in performance, a step back in customer service 20 28.57%
FPV...... a long way to go before they can be classed as performance vehicles 25 35.71%
I'm heading off to the other guys..... 3 4.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2003, 21:36   #1 (permalink)
gone

Has the change from Tickford to FPV been an improvement?

Just wondering what you think!

Has the change in Tickford to FPV been a postitive transaction? Have they changed the view of what you may think a FPV experience should be?
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2003, 23:18   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: Has the change from Tickford to FPV been an improvement?

Probably needs an option a bit like a step sideways in performance (given the T3 is pretty much a match for GT in most respects) and a step back in customer service.

In my view, one of the very good parts of FTE was the focus on the ownership experience and whilst FPV have come some of the way down that road they have still taken a step back from the FTE days.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:52   #3 (permalink)
FF Moderator

As I currently do not own a FPV, I cannot comment on customer service, however if you consider the fact that they (FPV) are now listening to what many potential customers want in a car, rather than those nice, but ‘soft’ T1 and T2 models, then they are definitely much more on track.

The current FPV models have taken a much more aggressive approach, which has proven to fulfilling more consumer desires over all. The T3 also achieved this, however was held back by the perception of the AU series and styling now associated with the old Tickford brand.

Having said all this, I still feel the FPV cars that have been released to date are still a little on the ‘soft side’ of the fence, which is something I think both the T3 and HSV’s do better. For FPV to get on top and attract new blood to the brand they need to get more aggressive with both their marketing and their product.

More time is also something they need to achieve this, but I feel this time it maybe worth the wait.

Cheers,
Colville

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:53   #4 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

I dont know I got my T3 just about the time FTe went FPV so I cant say if one is better than the other, All I know is that FTe wasnt backed strongly enough by FORD and so couldnt deliver what it promest, and that was a very close custermer / dealer /Ford /FTe relationship, It seems FTe was just a bad memory and its not to be spoken about and just hope everyone forgets about it, That how I feel about it anyway....
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 04:31   #5 (permalink)

I don't know about you guys but I think the change in name is all it is. The original idea of FTE has been lost in the corporate Ford jungle.
The idea of owning a decently built car and performing car as well getting some extra service and privelidge should not be attempted by amateurs.
As for listening to the people (Their Customers), they may as well not bother. The slogan - "We hear what your saying, but we don't care anyway", could never be any truer for a company.
Tickford / FTE / PFV it doesn't matter what the name is. When they learn to engineer a car with better quality than a Lada, then they may be taken seriously. Oh!, then there's customer service and satisfaction. That may take a bit more time.
BHTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 15:05   #6 (permalink)
a vile merchant

The product to me hasn't yet taken a massive step forward but i think the organisation Tickford/FPV is certainly improving. Pre-T3 tickford was basically just a ricer-mod operation. They fitted bodykits and wheels, and built an XR6 engine that claimed a whole host of modifications yet only yielded a 7kW gain (and that's with a sports exhaust). The tickford badge was something to wank over for some people but nowadays most would rather actually have performance. Non-tickford badged XR6-T has done more for ford's rep in 12 months than any badge did in 10 years.

If it wasn't for the Gen3 kicking the shit out of ford we would never have had the T3 (or probably the 220 either) but they did it and and now with the BOSS V8's they're building FPV have proven they do have some real technical know-how. Only problem is with the BA weight increases a GT isn't really any faster than a T3 was and the gen4 engine options for holden are looking very impressive. Lets hope they are able to keep pushing the envelope and the factory can back it up with the build quality people expect.
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 17:54   #7 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Ask the average Joe who FPV is, and they are ten times more likely to know what you are talking about, as opposed to Tickford or FTE. In that regard, FPV has been a great success.

PD, Tickford was building modified Windsors long before T3. They were also involved in suspension setups for XRs, etc well before that too, which is not a ricer-mod operation. My XR6 had the Forte exhaust, so where did my increase come from? Not VCT either, they did get the exhaust... FPV had plenty to do with the XR6T as well, even if the greater unwashed don't realise that.
Old 10-06-2003, 19:12   #8 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom XR
PD, Tickford was building modified Windsors long before T3. They were also involved in suspension setups for XRs, etc well before that too, which is not a ricer-mod operation. My XR6 had the Forte exhaust, so where did my increase come from? Not VCT either, they did get the exhaust... FPV had plenty to do with the XR6T as well, even if the greater unwashed don't realise that.
Those modified windsors were basically crate motors straight from the states. I'm pretty sure they didn't do anything with them locally until the T-series came along, and that's where the rot really started with Synergy 200kW motors that put out more like 185s. You're right about your exhaust, For AU the 'sports' exhaust was saved for the VCT and deleted from the HP version. They must have made a miracle breakthru and discovered how to make 7kW without aid of the exhaust :)
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:43   #9 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTS220
I still rather the Tickford idea for the XR's, it made them that little bit more special, the BA XRs are special, but sometimes feel like just another Ford.
hi xts220 thats what they are Ford with some mods..

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 02:01   #10 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigDog
They must have made a miracle breakthru and discovered how to make 7kW without aid of the exhaust :)
More compression, better valve springs, etc.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum