How many kw - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 00:58   #1 (permalink)

How many kw

Just after an idea of how many kw i have in my mk2 XR8 manual ute as i have been getting various answers, specs are :ss cold air ,big mouth air filter ,herrod cats back exhust with the cats removed (not needed in NZ Yet)
cheers
xr8b0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2005, 19:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: How many kw

Kw output will vary enormously depending on many factors, but as an example, my XR8 manual puts out 240 kw at the wheels (from two diff dynos on diff days) with similar mods to yours. ie Cold Air, BMC filter, Helix spacer, full Herrods s/s system (headers, cats, cat back)
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 15:24   #3 (permalink)
Big Red Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal
Kw output will vary enormously depending on many factors, but as an example, my XR8 manual puts out 240 kw at the wheels (from two diff dynos on diff days) with similar mods to yours. ie Cold Air, BMC filter, Helix spacer, full Herrods s/s system (headers, cats, cat back)

I would love to use your dyno then.
I find it very hard to accept that a 260Kw engine with minimal changes would jump from around 180rwkw to 240rwkw.

a brand new FPVGT has around 210 - 215 rwkw from its 290kw engine. Yes one was tested on a Dynapack facility at Jon Butler's shop, Tuning and Performance Centre, King St, Hamilton. One of the best in Australasia, can take up to 2200hp! Set up times are longer on the Dynapack (as opposed to roller-type) but the results are more accurate

It would seem that some shops are really having a big lend of hopeful owners.

The mods you have done should increase throttle response making it appear more powerful and better to drive with an actual rwkw increase of about 10 -15. Getting 195 would be a very good result without engine surgery.

Last edited by MKelly; 08-04-2005 at 15:32. Reason: redid calculations with converters.
MKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:13   #4 (permalink)

now listen to him boys, throw away your dyno sheets and just listen to him!
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 20:13   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKelly
I would love to use your dyno then.
I find it very hard to accept that a 260Kw engine with minimal changes would jump from around 180rwkw to 240rwkw.

a brand new FPVGT has around 210 - 215 rwkw from its 290kw engine. Yes one was tested on a Dynapack facility at Jon Butler's shop, Tuning and Performance Centre, King St, Hamilton. One of the best in Australasia, can take up to 2200hp! Set up times are longer on the Dynapack (as opposed to roller-type) but the results are more accurate

It would seem that some shops are really having a big lend of hopeful owners.

The mods you have done should increase throttle response making it appear more powerful and better to drive with an actual rwkw increase of about 10 -15. Getting 195 would be a very good result without engine surgery.
MKelly,

Getting 195 would be an average result for a 'dead stock car'. In fact mine ran 193 at 2000km, then 201 after 20,400km. Its a known fact they require some miles to loosen up. Both figures were when totally stock.

Listed mods were then added and result was 237kw. Which equates to 36kw increase for CAI, headers, cats and full system. With estimates for CAI being 10-12kw, headers 10-15kw and full system around 8-10kw, 36kw sounds about right.

Two months & 10K km later on a diff dyno showed 240. Still within 1.5% of the previous reading.

The dynos in question were Rob Herrod in Thomastown, Vic, and G&D Performance Cranbourne, Vic both of whom are highly regarded operators, and have nothing to prove, to bother falsifying figures.

Wheels mag, Motor and various others have listed very low km (ie still tight) GT's with 223-229 kws, and numerous XR8's with 189-195. Retesting these after 20,000kms would show increases of 10kw or so in line with just about every other person on this list.

All these figures are using 98RON fuel. Maybe your figures are using normal 91ron or std premium 95ron fuel.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 22:15   #6 (permalink)

You could probably take out your kw increase for cold air as their is no advantage to be had on a dyno with cold air unless you've got a huge blower forcing it into the mouth. My GT had 220Kw stock and when you work out losses thru drivetrain etc that looks about spot on. Have yet to test since Pacemakers HiFlows and Quad system added but you can tell the diff on the road. I also have cold air and BMC Filter.
GT 0844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:50   #7 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 0844
You could probably take out your kw increase for cold air as their is no advantage to be had on a dyno with cold air unless you've got a huge blower forcing it into the mouth. My GT had 220Kw stock and when you work out losses thru drivetrain etc that looks about spot on. Have yet to test since Pacemakers HiFlows and Quad system added but you can tell the diff on the road. I also have cold air and BMC Filter.
There is a gain on the dyno with a cold air intake as you are making it easier for the air to enter the motor without the standard airbox restriction, although you may get a small ram air affect out on the road which may increase power a bit but you really couldn't measure that easily.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum