Mods without an edit/flashtune ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 16:43   #1 (permalink)

Mods without an edit/flashtune ?

What modifications on an F6 would achieve increased KW & Torque without the edit/custom tune being done ?

I had a reply from FPV as to what mods would void the warranty on FPV's. They would not come out and say for 100% but reading between the lines, eg. if you changed part of your exhaust then that would void the warranty on the complete exhaust system. If you lowered the car then the suspension and all associated bits would be void, etc, etc....but changing the exhaust does not void the warranty on the engine or on any other part of the car except for the exhaust, ie. if the motor throws a rod then FPV can't say it was because of the exhaust change.

So I beleive you could safely change the exhaust and air filter without any issues with warranty on the engine, but would that be a waste of time without following it up with an edit ?
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2005, 23:11   #2 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Re: Mods without an edit/flashtune ?

Thats reasonably correct xb351coupe,
Ford's policy states I believe that they will only void warranty on individual component that have been modified rather than the whole car. so as you mentioned an exhaust and air filter should not get you in too much hot water.

To be on the safer side, have good realtionship with your dealer and arrange all your modifications with them if possible (not all dealers will support modifications however). That way their more likely to support you if somthing goes wrong. I would even consider an edit if it was purchase and installed by your dealer. You will need of cousre to continue to go back to the same dealer for servicing.

Alot of this depends on the driver as well. If your the type of person that modifies the car to go drag racing regularly then I would forget about your warranty. If your modifing your car's performance to make the most of its efficently but don't intend on punishing it on a regular basis then your dealer should support you as they know your car is well looked after and any failures are not likely from abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb351coupe
What modifications on an F6 would achieve increased KW & Torque without the edit/custom tune being done ?

I had a reply from FPV as to what mods would void the warranty on FPV's. They would not come out and say for 100% but reading between the lines, eg. if you changed part of your exhaust then that would void the warranty on the complete exhaust system. If you lowered the car then the suspension and all associated bits would be void, etc, etc....but changing the exhaust does not void the warranty on the engine or on any other part of the car except for the exhaust, ie. if the motor throws a rod then FPV can't say it was because of the exhaust change.

So I beleive you could safely change the exhaust and air filter without any issues with warranty on the engine, but would that be a waste of time without following it up with an edit ?

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:15   #3 (permalink)

weird as they voided one of my mates FULL warranties for a hiflow cat.
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:58   #4 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme F6
weird as they voided one of my mates FULL warranties for a hiflow cat.
That's unusual as even in the Warranty book it supports what I stated above. I can't see how Ford could justify not replacing say for example a poorly painted body panel because the exhaust was modified! Could there be any other reason why Ford would take such drastic action just on an exhaust change?

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:28   #5 (permalink)

Yes, I have always wondered this.
As far as I know, Most manufactures don't warranty parts that are due to normal wear and tear of driving. For example, brakes, wheel aglinment, tyres, exhaust, coolant, brake fluid etc, etc! This being the case, how can they void a warranty if any of the above was replaced, providing that replacement hasn't directly damaged another component. In this I mean, If you replace the exhaust, and it's too close to a suspension bushing, and it melts it, then of course that bush isn't covered by warranty. But to void the whole new car warranty..........that's a bit harsh if it is true!!

Regards

AGRO.
AGRO XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 17:36   #6 (permalink)

What i have found with warrenty issues is get all work and performance mods done by your ford dealer if they sell the products and they will do all warrenty work without any fuss you might pay a little more for this but you just spent $50-80 thou for a car why wouldn't you get your mods done there.
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 20:58   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthxr6t
What i have found with warrenty issues is get all work and performance mods done by your ford dealer if they sell the products and they will do all warrenty work without any fuss you might pay a little more for this but you just spent $50-80 thou for a car why wouldn't you get your mods done there.
i'm curious- the only Ford dealer i am aware of in Perth that will perform any worthy modifications is McInerney's (being the Herrod dealer)- if this is what you are referring to by saying "get all work and performance mods done by your Ford dealer" and adding "but you just spent $50-80 thou for a car why wouldn't you get your mods done there"; yet you run Xtreme's tune- not the Herrod item.

Don't get me wrong- I know EXACTLY why Simon would do the tune over McInerney's but the statement is a little hypocritical (if in fact you did get your car from McInerneys or were referring to the Ford dealer doing the mods)

It's kind of like at Bathurst when Brad Jones was interviewed after he finished crying and was saying how silly it was that everone was trying to win the race in the first few laps and then added in the same sentence that he was the innocent one and how disappointed he was as he had made up 8 positions in the first lap.......

not having a go mate, really- it's just that there are often good reasons you take you car somewhere else to have mods done- quite often the dealerships have no clue- albeit you have spent 50-80k, do you want to spend another 5-10 with someone who is not as competent; the best warranty is the one you never need, and if you spend your money with the right people it shouldn't be a problem.....
Old 10-12-2005, 15:01   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
i'm curious- the only Ford dealer i am aware of in Perth that will perform any worthy modifications is McInerney's (being the Herrod dealer)- if this is what you are referring to by saying "get all work and performance mods done by your Ford dealer" and adding "but you just spent $50-80 thou for a car why wouldn't you get your mods done there"; yet you run Xtreme's tune- not the Herrod item.

Don't get me wrong- I know EXACTLY why Simon would do the tune over McInerney's but the statement is a little hypocritical (if in fact you did get your car from McInerneys or were referring to the Ford dealer doing the mods)

It's kind of like at Bathurst when Brad Jones was interviewed after he finished crying and was saying how silly it was that everone was trying to win the race in the first few laps and then added in the same sentence that he was the innocent one and how disappointed he was as he had made up 8 positions in the first lap.......

not having a go mate, really- it's just that there are often good reasons you take you car somewhere else to have mods done- quite often the dealerships have no clue- albeit you have spent 50-80k, do you want to spend another 5-10 with someone who is not as competent; the best warranty is the one you never need, and if you spend your money with the right people it shouldn't be a problem.....
JimT

Point takin and a good one at that at the end of the day all we want is the best mods for our cars at a good price and hopefuly the warrenty issue doesn't rear it's ugly head.

As i said the only reason i didn't get the edit from the morley dealer is they have no-one to do the tune like Simon can and i know if they found out there goes the warrenty it's a chance we all take. I did put the herrod edit on to try it and not knowing you had to turn your traction control off i blew the cv joint the first time i gave her a fistful in the 6T i had, also didn't know you had to run 98 octane to stop the pinging these are the things dealers forget to tell you as you said maybe they don't know. All the mods bar the edit are done by the dealer.So if they don't find out about the edit warrenty shouldn't be an issue with the other mods they have done to the car.
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 17:50   #9 (permalink)

exactly what I thought.....

looks like you got the best of both worlds then- all the dealer fitted warranted herrod gear and a tune from the best tuner out there that no-one knows about!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum