My Dana M86 Diff Change - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2004, 07:41   #1 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

My Dana M86 Diff Change

After having done 20,000 klm my diff was fine never had a problem with it, but i wanted closer ratio manly for racing...

so i got the ass end pulled out of my Ute and after speaking to Chris i took it over to Northern Diffs and Gears in Campbellfield Vic.

they pulled the Gears out while i was there and checked the LSD to our surprise it wasn’t working very well not much pressure on the clutches at all..

So then they pulled down the diff and found that the clutches and friction plates were fine so they sourced some spacers from Dana and it was as good as Gold...Northern Diffs believe that these diffs are set-up poorly and there for the LSD don’t work properly very loose...

After driving around for 2 weeks, i have noticed how much tighter my driveline feels, i have an auto but it just feels different..

i was wondering how much of the driveline problem for others mainly manuals has something to do with the poor set-up on diff gears i know a lot have complained about whining noise..

If your thinking of having your diff done by professionals give Northern Diffs and Gears in Campbellfield Vic a go. tell them your from the FF i am sure you will be looked after..
Thanks to Chris and Rod for there help...
DANA M86 gears 3.45s are for sale $450

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2004, 07:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: My Dana M86 Diff Change

The factories always set em up much looser than what they should be, they are too concerned with warrenty issues, and that a looser diff, wont snap sideways so it wont scare granny flogging her xr8 while she and the girls go to bingo
Old 09-16-2004, 07:53   #3 (permalink)
walking power

I dont have any whining noise but i do get that backlash or shunt??? Its not really bad but its there, i just thought its common, is this what those spacers fix mark or is it totally unrelated.

What gears did you end up putting in??
Old 09-16-2004, 07:54   #4 (permalink)

by the way, the boys down at northern diffs do a great job, and really know their stuff, i soon will be visiting them for a few mods to the diff
Old 09-16-2004, 08:48   #5 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy
I dont have any whining noise but i do get that backlash or shunt??? Its not really bad but its there, i just thought its common, is this what those spacers fix mark or is it totally unrelated.

What gears did you end up putting in??
i dont know if the diffs are related to backlash issues just feels more direct...i think all the spacers do is like Phil said lock the LSD diff in harder so it snaps side ways better lol....
I put in very short 4.11's..much more aggresive ....
got some nice 3.45's if you want them Johnny...over $1000 from Ford with no bearings...
Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
by the way, the boys down at northern diffs do a great job, and really know their stuff, i soon will be visiting them for a few mods to the diff
very true Phil.. Chris and his Dad Bill are very good at there work and most helpful..
Northern Diffs
47 Cooper st Campbellfield.
9303-9246

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 17:17   #6 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

I take it you will be at Calder tonight! (or have you already run with it?)
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 19:14   #7 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

The LSD spacers don't stop the driveline shunt being described. The shunt is likely to be more ring/pinion lash tolerance and can be set up closer by a hand build of the assy. My new Pursuit has noticeably more shunt than the old one suggesting there's a tolerance range in the factory builds.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 22:30   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
The LSD spacers don't stop the driveline shunt being described. The shunt is likely to be more ring/pinion lash tolerance and can be set up closer by a hand build of the assy. My new Pursuit has noticeably more shunt than the old one suggesting there's a tolerance range in the factory builds.
Spot on, pinion bearing preload is the problem.
EB 5.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 22:42   #9 (permalink)
Movin!

Good luck in the wet mark!

Actually the auto's have a tall 1st gear so your ute should haul off the line, as long as you have th grip to go with it. Borrow some of those "street" tyres from the LS1 boys lol
Old 09-16-2004, 23:56   #10 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
After having done 20,000 klm my diff was fine never had a problem with it, but i wanted closer ratio manly for racing...

so i got the ass end pulled out of my Ute and after speaking to Chris i took it over to Northern Diffs and Gears in Campbellfield Vic.

they pulled the Gears out while i was there and checked the LSD to our surprise it wasnít working very well not much pressure on the clutches at all..

So then they pulled down the diff and found that the clutches and friction plates were fine so they sourced some spacers from Dana and it was as good as Gold...Northern Diffs believe that these diffs are set-up poorly and there for the LSD donít work properly very loose...

After driving around for 2 weeks, i have noticed how much tighter my driveline feels, i have an auto but it just feels different..

i was wondering how much of the driveline problem for others mainly manuals has something to do with the poor set-up on diff gears i know a lot have complained about whining noise..

If your thinking of having your diff done by professionals give Northern Diffs and Gears in Campbellfield Vic a go. tell them your from the FF i am sure you will be looked after..
Thanks to Chris and Rod for there help...
DANA M86 gears 3.45s are for sale $450
Goodbye top end i wonder if the ute will pull 180 kays now.LOL

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
FPVGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum