Ford Forums banner

My Ford Tickford Experience (long)

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  davocol 
#1 ·
As my two Ford Tickford Experiences (FTE) draw to a close, it is a good time to reflect on the good and the bad parts of them - and there have been plenty of both.

First the GOOD.

1. The TE50 has been awesome to drive. A superb blend of performance and comfort that has never failed to put a smile on my ugly dial anytime I drive it.

2. The Cougar has been reliable and trouble free and has served it's purpose well. Not the quickest or most comfortable thing around but a pleasant ownership experience anyway.

3. The service from my FTE dealer (Strapp Ford) has been nothing short of magnificent. Issues (see below) have been dealt with promptly, courteously and efficiently. Their efforts, probably more than anything else, truly embodied the spirit behind FTE.

4. Apart from one minor quibble on the extended warranty - the FTE warranty has stood behind the product - frequently.

4. The Cougar managed to retain 58.3%, 3 year (48k km) resale value which is commendable for a vehicle that hasn't exactly set the country alight.

Now the not-so-good

1. Ford/FTE have done their level best to ruin the experience by devaluing the supposed "premium" model range at every opportunity.
Exhibit A: handing the 220 kw engine to the XR8 inside 12 months.
Exhibit B: realigning the pricing and features structure with Series 2 and then again with S3.
Exhibit C: building way too many S3's with Brembo options and then offering massive retail incentives so the dealers can move the bloody things. Wouldn't like to guess how many are left but I am tipping it is close to 100 cars with pricing as low as $44k for TE50's and $53k for Brembo equipped TS50's.

2. Related to point one but worth a mention in its' own right is the topic of resale values. Based on the present figures being thrown around I calculate the retained value in my car as about 35.8% - 3 year resale with 68k km. According to my guide that makes it the 2nd worst in the country behind the 8 series BMW's - a record to be well proud of (NOT).
Of course we have an acknowledgement on the public record from GP/DF on this topic (thanks guys) and some kind of pending (and as yet unseen) "offer" to assist us former bunnies into a new FPV vehicle. On past history (the T3 offers) this will consist of a Brembo or Premium sound upgrade which is better than a kick in the ass but not anywhere near enough for the financial pain. Bad enough for me but the S1 TS50 buyers who forked out $80k on road are looking at a 31% resale after 3 years. Poor sods.
Still I guess we can feel warm and fuzzy that the powers that be have acknowledged the "failed" experiment of FTE and sleep easier knowing that FPV won't turn out to be the same expensive lemon. At least it had better not be as I am placing that bet with cold, hard, cash.

3. The warranty issues. Cougar = 1 for a faulty fuel gauge. Happy to live with that. T-Series = heaps which I'll detail below.

10,005 km - new drivers side window regulator (AU standard).
10,005 km - reset drivers door blend
20,001 km - replace OSR bailey channel
20,001 km - replace carbon canister
20,001 km - replace window stop (3rd time)
29,100 km - replace drivers air bag module
29,100 km - replace front strut
29,100 km - replace front brake rotors
39,579 km - replace transmission & ESS valve body
44,422 km - replace rear brake rotors
46,769 km - replace brake booster hose
46,769 km - replace rear axle seal
47,415 km - replace power steering rack (with a rebuilt one)
52,115 km - replace front brake rotors (again)
52,685 km - replace front strut (the other one)
52,685 km - replace rear shock absorbers (1 leaking)
59,466 km - replace steering rack (again - new one this time)

- that list doesn't count all the standard recalls like the radiator repair, window regulators, ESS recalibrations etc.
Not an impressive list for 60,000 km. It has only been bearable because of the good help I've had from the servicing dealer.

Conclusion

I guess that reading the above you'd conclude it hasn't been a good experience overall but for the best part the sheer pleasure that driving the car has provided has helped me forget the painful bits.
Which is just as well because if I dwell on the average build quality, massive depreciation and poor product planning then I'd be moving to the dark side.
But I am an optimist and for whatever reason I still believe that the guys in charge will not make the same mistakes they have in the past.
Time alone will show whether that faith has been misplaced or not.
If it is then I have just bought my last two Fords.
Simple really.

Russ

See less See more
#2 ·
I knew you had a couple of probs with the T-Series but had no idea it was this many or this serious. Here's hoping the BA is a lot better (had 3 warranty issues in 3000km so far on mine...).

#3 ·
Great read Russ. I can relate too much that you have experienced with my previous S1 AUXR8. It’s funny how 'sometimes' we ignore logic and common sense in the name of passion and the brands that we believe in.

On the other hand, if purchasing a car was only done with logic, we would be driving cheap Korean cars with great fuel consumption, 5 star energy ratings and a depreciation value that’s not worth worry about.

Enjoy your FPV mate.(Oo===oO)
Cheers,
Colville

#4 ·
CDAA said:
On the other hand, if purchasing a car was only done with logic, we would be driving cheap Korean cars with great fuel consumption, 5 star energy ratings and a depreciation value that’s not worth worry about.

Enjoy your FPV mate.(Oo===oO)
Cheers,
Colville

Isn't depreciation one of his concerns?

"Which is just as well because if I dwell on the average build
quality, massive depreciation and poor product planning then
I'd be moving to the dark side."

Isn't average build quality also (and more often) associated with the dark side? If you were so disappointed that you would not again purchase a Ford, wouldn't you only consider buying European, not Holden/HSV.

With that said I do see your point.

#5 ·
HP Dude said:
Isn't depreciation one of his concerns?

Isn't average build quality also (and more often) associated with the dark side? If you were so disappointed that you would not again purchase a Ford, wouldn't you only consider buying European, not Holden/HSV.
I was referring to your stereotype $14,990 Koran car that you keep for 3 years, trade for $7000 and buy another. My point? The value of the car in the first place is so low, it's not worth worrying about depreciation. Try owning a new Falcon or Commodore for 3 years and see if you can only loose $8k!!

As for your other comments, I think Russ is just talking between mates, Ford mates. It’s not an assault on Ford or a suggestion that Holden would be better quality wise, although planing wise however is another story. It's just an experience shared, which many may relate to if they take their Ford or Holden hats off for a minute.
:iwsun:

#6 ·
Excellent read as per usual Russ but I am a little taken aback by your resale figures especially on the TS50(series 1) based on Redbooks lower trade in price figure I get $31,900 which equates to closer to a 40% retained value (based on 80k retail if of course that was paid), if I was to base it on the average private sale I think you would be looking at around 35-37 k at a minimum which would equate to about a 45% retained value. Although these figures are still fairly average they are not as dismal as you may think.

Have these original values been offered to you by your dealer or is there some other source you are getting them from, I would be interested to hear your comments.

Cheers

#7 ·
Now I see what you're saying in regards to depreciation.

"It’s not an assault on Ford or a suggestion that Holden would be better quality wise"

Isn't that what he is, in effect, saying? Believe me, I do not view Ford through rose coloured glasses and I also see the anecdotal nature of the post, however I still stand by my assertion that if excellent build quality is a major priority, one would be best off buying German. This doesn't mean that Ford and Holden (or for that matter any other brand) should be excused from building (or attempting to build) quality cars, it's just that the Germans are reknowned for it.

#8 ·
davocol said:
Excellent read as per usual Russ but I am a little taken aback by your resale figures especially on the TS50 (series 1) based on Redbooks lower trade in price figure I get $31,900 which equates to closer to a 40% retained value (based on 80k retail if of course that was paid), if I was to base it on the average private sale I think you would be looking at around 35-37 k at a minimum which would equate to about a 45% retained value. Although these figures are still fairly average they are not as dismal as you may think.
Cheers
Thanks.
The figures provided are based on trade in valuations from a small selection of Melbourne FTE dealers (small because there weren't many of them). As it happens the S1 TE and TSs50 are now worth roughly the same money so the percentage difference is based on the difference in retail prices. The percentage for my car is based on original purchase price inclusive of options - which make no difference at this end of the market.
Would be ok to actually get Red Book value but it's not what is being paid by dealers in the real world.

Cheers
Russ

Cheers
Russ

#9 ·
Thanks for sharing all of that.

I see every point you have made, and can empathise.

Personally, I am seriously thinking about buying a T3 TS at the moment. For a few reasons.

Firstly, the value is incredible (unfortunately, to your detriment)
Secondly, build numbers are very limited, even though theres a few on the show room foor at the moment.
Thirdly, its a very unique Windsor. One that will be remembered fondly I'm sure.
Fourthly, its a fantastic package, and quite frankly, I believe it to be the best looking car going around with a Ford badge on it.

I guess the thrust of my point is, are you able to hang onto it for longer? For the above reasons, I can see their prices actually stabilising in the future. While the new BA range is in full swing, and in just 24 months GTs, XR6T's, and XR8 will be coming off lease, there will still be less than 300 stroked Windsors on the road, and I think they will be remembered fondly.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

#10 ·
lets not create a ford hell, seriously ford has always been on a different platform than holden,it wasnt so long ago we all choked on a beer and said theres no way an aussie built car with a price tag of under 25kcould have the same imput of performance as its overseas cousins. now that fpv has planted its 290 boss in the engine bay ford have a champion hero car. its had a face lift but its most beautifal feature is still under the bonnet.
lets not forget anything thats man made is going to fall short from time to time in all areas.
have faith, keep on fording...

ford pushing for excellance

#11 ·
Unfortunately warranties are provided because machines are not perfectly reliable , but thankfully they are provided. It's always disappointing to have quality issues with our cars but looking at the list once all of the items are fixed your left with a very excellent car with no issues. Think about the issues afflcting the machines offered by the dark side, if you have no problems arising you still have a car with spongy brake pedal, ordinary steering feel, excessive tyre wear, interior trims that creak when cornering, noisy front struts when turning at parking speeds, I don't think I need to go on.

#12 ·
why is it that most Ford owners seem to put the FoMoCo on a pedestal ?????

ok ... we share a rivalry with Holden, but the FoMoCo is NOT as squeaky clean as we might like to think!!!

Russ, your post speaks volumes ... and it's ok (in fact it is GOOD) to hold the FoMoCo accountable for its poor and delinquent performance in the area of marketing ...

we are the mice that roar !!!!

#14 ·
Once again a good thread Russ. But i have to say in terms about the quality of the Premium Falcon range be it TSeries or GT's it is definitly reliant on how the base model quality fairs.

I think at the moment one has to admit that buying a local car one has to put up with a few quality issues.
But i agree the new Fords are definitly pointing in the right direction, powerful modern engines, great suspension package and timeless styling and drive excitement.

#15 ·
julian said:
Hey did they do rotors under warranty?? and and what about the recalls .I havent heard of any but then I havent been back to the dealer???
Got the initial set of fronts under warranty. As for recalls you should have had the notices (especially radiator) anyway. It's a good reason to actually go there occasionally even if you don't like them. A lot of the little things are just advised in TSB's to the dealer network - like flash upgrades for the ESS etc.

Cheers
Russ

#16 ·
l concur with everything you have written Russ.

We owned a series 1 TS50 until Dec last year when we sold it to buy an XR6T. The depreciation was ridiculous, we bought the car with 10000km on the odo 18 months prior for $52k and were offered $31.5k trade in by the same dealer, but sold it privately (to Davocols brother in fact!) for $34.5k. By the time we put tyres on it, RWC etc it left a little more than what the dealer was offering.

Would have loved to buy a GT at the time but waiting until now would have seen our car drop even further and l think the figures you quote now are realistic. l want a GT and are very seriously considering selling the XR6T, l hope Ford don't make the same mistakes. That's what l am trying to decide in my mind now. At least with the decent discount l got on the XR6T (the dealer was trying to compensate us for the poor value of the TS50!) we can sell it for barely less than what we paid with the current demand and backlog of orders.

l can see a BAll GT with 320kw and weighing 100kg less, where does that leaves the BA1?? l don't know but l know l want one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.