New-Look FPV Family Hits The Mark - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ā» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2004, 16:10   #1 (permalink)
RACE

New-Look FPV Family Hits The Mark

New-Look FPV Family Hits The Mark

The Ford Performance Vehicles family has been boosted – literally – with the
arrival of the exciting new turbo-charged F6 Typhoon and upgraded GT, GT-P
and Pursuit.
The MkII FPV range features a number of significant modifications, including the addition of a close-ratio six-speed manual gearbox in all models as well as numerous interior, exterior and specification upgrades.
“There is no doubt that Ford Performance Vehicles has made its mark on the
Australian high-performance segment,” Managing Director of FPV, David Flint, said. “Our vehicles have been considered the benchmark in their class sincethey were launched in early 2003 in terms of technical leadership and value for money performance.
“Our MkII range, including the F6 Typhoon, is a clear indication that we haven’t
rested on those laurels. We have continued to make our vehicles even better, while
adhering to our core values of providing Total Performance to our customers at an affordable level.”

WHAT’S NEW
° Close-ratio six-speed manual gearbox with standard Shift Alert
° Four-speed Auto with Sports Sequential Shift becomes a no-cost option on GT and Pursuit.
° Revised suspension settings on sedans for improved handling
° Interior upgrades on all models, including new Sports Instrument Gauges
° New-look exterior FPV stripe package with Boss 290 hood decal and revised
colour options
° Unique 19-inch alloy wheels on GT-P
° Revised Pursuit specifications with soft tonneau as standard and optional
stripe package

SIX OF THE BEST
The introduction of a new close-ratio six speed manual gearbox has been designed to enhance driving enjoyment and performance on all FPV models.
Ford and FPV have worked together, using the expertise of the Prodrive engineering operation in Campbellfield, to create a tailor-made version of the robust Tremec T56 six-speed manual transmission for use in all Ford Performance Vehicles. The engineers have developed a host of exclusive components to improve the performance of the vehicles and quality of the gear shift process. These include unique gear ratios between six-cylinder and V8 models, the addition of double synchromesh on all forward gears and single synchromesh on reverse, linear bearings in the shift rail,
direct linkage shifters and an electronic reverse gear lockout.
These modifications have been made to specifically suit the demands of Australian high-performance customers as well as the unique driving characteristics of the F6 Typhoon but also the range of vehicles powered by the high-tech Boss 290 – the only V8 to be designed and built in Australia.
The F6 Typhoon is the first six-cylinder high-performance car in the world to use the Tremec T56 transmission.
“FPV has further enhanced one of the most respected high-performance gearboxes in the world,” FPV’s managing director, David Flint, says.
“And we have enhanced the transmission to suit our vehicles and their individual characteristics with an emphasis on precise operation.
“The close-ratio six-speed manual gearbox we have developed results in better acceleration, more responsive in-gear performance during enthusiastic driving as well as improved fuel economy for long-distance travelling.”
To emphasise the variance in power delivery and therefore the driving feel between the F6 Typhoon and the V8-powered GT range, the cars have unique final drive ratios: the F6 Typhoon featuring a 3.73:1 while the GT family runs a 3.46:1. To further enhance the launch feel and initial performance, the F6 Typhoon and GT range also have different first gear ratios. These modifications have been designed to make the best use of the flexibility of the F6 270 turbo-charged six cylinder and the hightech Boss 290 V8 and to suit the inherent differences in the engines’ power and torque outputs.
The F6 Typhoon and GT versions of the transmission also feature unique bell
housing, clutch housing and extension housing designs to suit the different
adaptations of the engines.
The inclusion of double synchromesh on all forward gears and single synchromesh on reverse, combined with the linear bearings on the shift rail and direct linkage shifters,
all combine to provide precise gear shifting for sports driving enthusiasts, while also creating a comfortable and user-friendly transmission that is unrivalled in an Australian-built high-performance car.
“The five-speed manual gearbox in our original range has been recognised as the best in its class – certainly for an Australian-built vehicle -in terms of shift feel and precision,” Flint adds. “The significant modifications we have engineered into the new six-speed manual
transmission ensures that we have further improved the same level of comfort, quality and accuracy in this area.”
As reverse gear sits adjacent to fifth gear in the shift pattern, the new transmission features an electronic reverse gear lockout to prevent the driver from selecting the backwards gear at speeds in excess of 5Km/h.
All FPV vehicles will feature, as part of the transmission upgrade, an exclusive
racing-inspired Shift Alert to optimise acceleration and performance. The driver will hear an audible warning as the engine speed is approaching maximum revs, prompting the driver to change gears before the electronic rev limiter.

AUTOMATIC CHOICE
The decision on whether to purchase a manual or automatic gearbox no longer comes down to price.
FPV has revised its recommended retail pricing structure on all Boss 290-powered vehicles – GT, GT-P and Pursuit – to offer the high-tech new six-speed manual gearbox or the four-speed automatic with Sports Sequential Shift for the same price.
The F6 Typhoon will be available exclusively with the close-ratio six-speed manual transmission.

SPRING IS IN THE AIR
Ford Performance Vehicles has modified the suspension settings on its GT and GT-P to enhance its high-performance handling capabilities without compromising its comfort.
The spring rates in the double-wishbone front suspension have been increased by 14 per cent while the spring rates on the award-winning Control Blade independent rear suspension have been beefed up by 10 per cent to improve the cars’ handling during spirited driving.
The F6 Typhoon will adopt the revised rear suspension from the GT and GT-P and the Pursuit maintains the settings from the original model.

INSIDE OUT
The driver’s cockpit in all FPV models has been revised with the addition of exclusive Sports Instrument gauges and upgraded Interior Command Centre features. The Boss V8-powered models of GT, GT-P and Pursuit will feature twin-pod Sports Instrument gauges displaying oil pressure and oil temperature while the F6 Typhoon has twin-pod Sports Instrument gauges with turbo boost pressure and oil pressure.
The Sports Instrument gauges are mounted on the top of the Interior Command Centre and are positioned towards the driver for optimum vision.
The Interior Command Centre has also been upgraded on all vehicles, with the sedans now featuring the range-topping large TFT colour screen with dual-zone air conditioning and Premium Sound system as standard equipment. The Premium Sound consists of a 150 Watt system with amplifier, sub woofer, six speakers and a six-disc in-dash CD player.
The ICC in the Pursuit features upgraded Prestige Sound, which includes a 100 Watt system with six-speakers and an in-dash six-disc CD player.
All FPV models also carry the feature upgrades introduced across the Falcon range with the MkII update, including automatic on/off headlights and illuminated power window switches.

STRIPE ME UP
The popularity of the heritage-inspired stripes on the original FPV GT and GT-P has paved the way for a wider choice of colours with the new-look package on the MkII lineup, which now includes a bold Boss 290 hood decal.
The MkII package, which replaces the two solid stripes on the original models with a bold lower stripe, key line stripe and hood decal, will also be available on Pursuit for the first time as a factory-fitted option.
The Boss 290 hood decal accentuates the racing-inspired bonnet bulge that is a signature design feature on all Boss-powered vehicles.
FPV customers are now able to personalise their vehicle even further with a selection of exterior colours now having different stripe colour combinations. Customers can choose from silver, black, orange, blue and now white stripes on selected exterior colours.
The stripes are available for a recommended retail price of $595.00 on GT and Pursuit and remain a no-cost option on GT-P.
More than 50 per cent of FPV sedans built since the launch of the GT and GT-P in March 2003 have been ordered with the FPV stripe package.

WHEELS OF FIRE
Increasing the road-holding ability and visual presence of the range-topping GT-P, FPV has added stunning, new-design 19-inch alloy wheels as standard equipment – the largest wheel and tyre package fitted to an Australian-built Ford product.
The aggressive five-spoke design with its polished finish is in keeping with the
premium philosophy of the GT-P and highlights the Brembo brakes that are fitted as standard.
The wheels come with 245/35 ZR19 Dunlop SP9000 tyres – the latest cutting-edge high-performance tyres. As with all FPV models, a full-size spare is included as standard.

IN PURSUIT OF A GOOD TIME
Ford Performance Vehicles has revised the specifications and the competitive position of its Pursuit to broaden the high-performance ute’s appeal even further. The Pursuit, powered by the same high-tech quad-cam Boss 290 V8 from the GT and GT-P, now features an FPV-branded soft tonneau cover as standard equipment. This modification is a direct response to customer’s need for a more versatile load space.

An alloy Sports bar is optional while the lockable hard tonneau with rear spoiler becomes a factory-fitted option.
The Pursuit receives upgraded features, such as the Prestige audio system and the twin-pod Sports Instrument gauges as standard. The revised front suspension settings improve handling while the bold new stripe and hood decal package becomes an option on Pursuit for the first time with the MkII range.
The recommended retail price for the Pursuit, excluding dealer delivery and statutory charges, is now $53,340 for the manual and automatic.

RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICES
Excluding dealer delivery and statutory charges.
F6 Typhoon: $58,950 (Manual only)
GT: $61,350 (Manual or Auto) GT-P $70,200 (Manual or Auto)
Pursuit: $53,340 (Manual or Auto)
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2004, 16:31   #2 (permalink)

Re: New-Look FPV Family Hits The Mark

I am in the market for buying a new car. After 5 HSVs I was looking at FPV for a change. I know many of you guys are going to be disappointed, but take it from me that is a pretty good upgrade. New motors don't come along that often and I guess one day you guys will have just that.

It is disappointing that a company that is perceived to be behind the 8 ball have done anything to raise engine numbers. FPV aren't in a position where they can look to be sitting on their hands. It’s marvelous what 5kw would do to a comparison chart for shoppers like myself
warrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 16:42   #3 (permalink)
Club Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrens
I am in the market for buying a new car. After 5 HSVs I was looking at FPV for a change. I know many of you guys are going to be disappointed, but take it from me that is a pretty good upgrade. New motors don't come along that often and I guess one day you guys will have just that.

It is disappointing that a company that is perceived to be behind the 8 ball have done anything to raise engine numbers. FPV aren't in a position where they can look to be sitting on their hands. It’s marvelous what 5kw would do to a comparison chart for shoppers like myself
5 HSV's.... you're a slow learner! I find it hard to believe somebody would not buy this car because it was 5kw short of the money. There are umpteen threads on here suggesting how to achieve 5kw at a cost of three fifths of fcuk all.

Having said that and reading the current MKII specs, I don't see any reaons as to upgrade. Not shelling out best part of $20000 for a couple of guages and stiffer springs. I wonder how many would upgrade as opposed to sticking with the MKI and exploring the "boss edit" mod?
COUPEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 16:45   #4 (permalink)
FF Moderator

All agreed warrens, but I think FPv in this case are riding on the 'hopeful' fact that although the '290' kw numbers have not changed, the cars 'feel' and 'speed' will be marginally improved. ie. if you knew that the F6 or GT was as fast (or faster) that the LS2 HSV's, 290 may not bother you that much.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 16:48   #5 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
The F6 Typhoon will be available exclusively with the close-ratio six-speed manual transmission.
I believe this is a gross mistake. Sure the purists say autos are for poofs, etc, but there are some people who want performance but don't want to have shift gears manually, especially in traffic. Just look at all the GT and GT-P (and even XR8 and XR6 Turbo) owners who own autos.

It wouldn't cost Ford and FPV any more to make an auto version so why not offer it?

I guess it's they're playing catch up to Holden still. Holden had the supercharged V6 only in auto and lost the buyers who wanted a manual. Here we have the opposite situation.

Score one more point for (mis)management!

Quote:
F6 Typhoon: $58,950 (Manual only)
Ah, one day...

Having said all of the above, I still want one. Even if I have to join the ranks of Team Knob Twiddler™.

Can't wait to see it in the metal at the SMS.

Quote:
The popularity of the heritage-inspired stripes on the original FPV GT and GT-P has paved the way for a wider choice of colours with the new-look package on the MkII lineup, which now includes a bold Boss 290 hood decal.
Ooh, Sparkles will love this! :s6:
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmaticā„¢) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothmanā„¢.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 16:58   #6 (permalink)
The new one is here...

They're probably scared that 550NM @2000rpm will fry the auto. But I agree, they should offer an auto.

EL2 XR8, White, Auto, Completely stock and the best looking Falcon ever built...
Citric XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 17:03   #7 (permalink)
Poor Uni Student #7671623

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Toed
I believe this is a gross mistake. Sure the purists say autos are for poofs, etc, but there are some people who want performance but don't want to have shift gears manually, especially in traffic. Just look at all the GT and GT-P (and even XR8 and XR6 Turbo) owners who own autos.
rumour has it that the F6 won't have and Auto option because Ford are afraid that the insane amount of torque this thing puts out would blow up the Auto box.
perkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 17:08   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUPEMAN
5 HSV's.... you're a slow learner! I find it hard to believe somebody would not buy this car because it was 5kw short of the money. There are umpteen threads on here suggesting how to achieve 5kw at a cost of three fifths of fcuk all.

Having said that and reading the current MKII specs, I don't see any reaons as to upgrade. Not shelling out best part of $20000 for a couple of guages and stiffer springs. I wonder how many would upgrade as opposed to sticking with the MKI and exploring the "boss edit" mod?
I find it hard to believe you could be that thick. It’s obviously not the 5 kws that matters.

It’s more about what that says about the company that sits behind the product, about their willingness to constantly improve and move with the times.
Their ability to read the market and what their competition will do, to anticipate and for once not come off looking second hand. Perceptions and appearances these days are just as important as the product

I said what I did because many members here would seem to be disappointed if the BOSS engines weren't improved. I get the feeling that the F6 as much as anything from HSV might be part of that feeling.

Me I was looking to see what value was added to the range. I don’t believe I should pay for leather on the R8 competitor. But for about 600 dollars it picks up 19 inch wheels and premium sound. If I could get leather in that price then come March next year I reckon I will buy my first Ford product in 27 years. Oh did I forget to mention I used to own Fords?

The F6 looks the goods. I image the turbo guys will be looking for that boost gauge set up 

Standing still earns you nothing.

Apart from the first LS1 car I had, that had a dramatic engine failure I have had 4 trouble free cars. Why would that make me a slow learner? If you’re looking at a 20000k changer over in what is effectively a better value Mk2 package then who is the slow learner? Perhaps you missed the umpteen’s threads where Ford has rejected warranty claims from people actually trying to do less. Clutches that don't last more than 18000kms. Give me a break. Someone is slow alright and I am not referring to you.

I will say it again. I reckon it is a fair upgrade.
warrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 17:09   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrens

you have a valid point. Not everyone is a car nut as such. and people do look at numbers even if its 4 or 5 kw difference. It could mean a sale.

but its just not the power. the new HSVs look pretty dam good.

Some people here are just sheep.
Old 10-06-2004, 17:19   #10 (permalink)

i want them to realease the HO.
FORD stop wasting time and release it.............
frdpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum