Ford Forums banner

oil change herrods

4K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  myte8 
#1 ·
went to herrods today changed oil and filter at 2500km
got rid of that 10w40 stuff now trying 5w40
seems to get a crisper run, will change oil and filter every 5000km
so far very happy with the engine, very responsive.

#5 ·
I thought the general comments out there was to dump the Mobile 1 oil and replace it with a mineral oil till it is run in at 10,000k's, and then put back in the factory oil which is Mobile 1
Cheers John

#6 ·
How times change....
A few months ago we all slagged off Holden and their Gen III. Now we all look forward to 'normal oil usage of 1 litre per 1000km' (quote Ford service bulletin). Ford will pay for all oil used, like Holden pay for all oil used. Good stuff. Now we are all on equal terms anyway....

#8 · (Edited)
NZ GT-P said:
How times change....
A few months ago we all slagged off Holden and their Gen III. Now we all look forward to 'normal oil usage of 1 litre per 1000km' (quote Ford service bulletin). Ford will pay for all oil used, like Holden pay for all oil used. Good stuff. Now we are all on equal terms anyway....
Can hardly say the BOSS engine is on equal terms with the Gen 3 in terms of oil issues. 1 litre per 1000km isn't great, but it hasn't yet lead to piston slapping, bore wearing engine rebuilds before even 10,000ks has past that I'm aware of.

#13 ·
Alan, NZ GT-P is hypothesising such a service bulletin.

It's far from an LS1 issue, and completely ignoring the fact that hand built engines will chew oil during the run in period.

If it becomes long term oil use, then start to worry. However, we have an owner on the forums with 10K+ kms on his GT with no oil use dramas.

#15 ·
laminge said:
and from what I have seen from NZ GTP in his last couple of posts all I can say is FEWL!!!!
Yes, I initially held back by response in the chance that NZ GTP may be genuine in his intentions. I hate making negative assumptions of peoples comments straight off the bat, however then I saw his other post regarding water issues and decided something was not right.

Some people have nothing better to do. :bang:

#16 ·
mygt said:
rod, as we know its states on the oil cap 0w40 mobile, but in the mobile range the 0w40 is 10w40
there no bottle marked 0w40 its a bit misleeding.
greetings all
mobil 10W40 has a viscosity of rating of 62 @ 40degrees c & 14 @ 100deg

as for Mobil 0W40 it has a viscosity of 80 @ 40 deg & 14.3 @ 100deg c

hope that this is of some help to you all

regards
rod

#17 ·
greetings all
just a further foot note after chasing around everywere i could think of i found Mobil 1 in 20 litre drums, it had to be ordered in & the mobil depot @ essendon airport were able to do it for me as it is not a line that they carry

for those who are interested have a look on the mobil web site www dot mobil dot com dot au & you will be able to see it there

regards
rod

#22 ·
wow if Holden was paying for all oil that is used in a Gen III, that would explain why they wont fix the problem ...they bought shares in a oil refinery ..
i think maybe NZ GT-P has been inhaling to many Gen III fumes....

#24 ·
Yer myte8 my T3 has 29000 ks on it now never had a hint of oil dramers, so the T3s are a good thing hay !!!!

#25 ·
Took the beast for 3000km service today.
looking forward to Herrod spring kit being installed.
Regarding oils, was told that mine and all GTs from Thomson Ford in Sydney leave with mineral or part synthetic at most.
It is not until at least 10000km that they change to full synthetic nad if I remember correctly do not recommend Mobil, but i may have misunderstood the last point that Mobil is OK as one of the synthetics AFTER 10000km.

#26 ·
they use (Mobil S) it is a semi synthetic oil wich is part mineral or part synthetic, like you said. ford use it in our xr8's from day 1...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.