Opening Up The SS CAI - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2004, 00:36   #1 (permalink)

Opening Up The SS CAI

I purchased a shiney new jigsaw on Sat morning and did some fabrications to the SS cold air box, in as much as I cut the top front out of it by about 6cms which opened it up enough to slide in my (slightly scrawney) forearm and touch the BMC filter . Then I finished it off neatly with some araldite and plastic piping and some thick self adhesive rubber sealing along the new top edge. By the bumometre it feels a little more zippy, although its hard to tell, definately sounds more business like. I just wondered if any other owners had dabbled with their SS CAI?
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
The Real Performance Thing
HSV What ?
and 013, Lightning Strike:
Twin 2.5 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, CAI & Pedders Suspension
Hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2004, 02:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: Opening Up The SS CAI

I have the Herrods open mouth air induction which is the same as the SS.They definately seem to have a better Roar.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:08   #3 (permalink)

Pics Doc?
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:17   #4 (permalink)

Ive left the new Gt as original, so ive got the cut one on mine, fairdinkum there is no difference in power, the noise is about the same, if you want, come drive both cars, then make up your own mind. Personaly, I think the closed version is better, it doesnt get all that hot air from under the bonnet in it, when you give it a bit.
Adventra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:22   #5 (permalink)

Hypnodoc, have you got the deflectors installed behind the grill which allows the air to be forced into the Open mouth air induction ? im my opinion when i had mine installed it definately had more Roar to it at about 3000rpm
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:36   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
Hypnodoc, have you got the deflectors installed behind the grill which allows the air to be forced into the Open mouth air induction ? im my opinion when i had mine installed it definately had more Roar to it at about 3000rpm
Cheers John
Yeah Jonh I put them in with the Airscoop altough when I was in Melb I was talking to a guy from the xr6 forums who works in the Ford Wind Tunnel and he reckoned that at high speed there wasn't much air feed from the upper grille opening . Still whatever way you look at it the bigger box has to give them a much better gulp.
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
HSV What ?
Old 05-24-2004, 02:55   #7 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Hypnodoc you obviously need to "open up" the upper grille opening then... (Actually removing the "moustache" trim along the top would do this without cutting metal!) I've thought about opening up the upper grille opening on my XH as well, or at least creating one lol.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 00:22   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

i did the old jigsaw trick on the top of my ss inductions,but towards the end of the cut the power cord wasnt long enough,so being the lazy bastard that i am i kind of butchered it,now i look at it and think,why,all i had to do was go get a extension cord but i was in such a hurry to go and try it
Old 05-26-2004, 01:10   #9 (permalink)

biggrin Re: Opening Up The SS CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by quatermileman
i did the old jigsaw trick on the top of my ss inductions,but towards the end of the cut the power cord wasnt long enough,so being the lazy bastard that i am i kind of butchered it,now i look at it and think,why,all i had to do was go get a extension cord but i was in such a hurry to go and try it
That sounds like the kind of careful precision I am usually capable of, but this time all went smoothly and a neat result was had. I'm bloody glad it was to, or there would have been another 4-500 up in smoke as I don't think you can buy just the mouth.
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
HSV What ?
Old 07-21-2004, 01:53   #10 (permalink)

ive umed and arrrrd about cutting mine but have been advised that all you achieve buy cutting is more noise and possibly less go due to more hot air getting down there from the motor
newgtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum