Ford Forums banner

Ouch!

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  laminge 
#1 ·
I was driving home last night along Parramatta Road near Croydon and I come across road works, I slow to the road works speed and pass a Grooved Road Cycle Hazard sign, I slow again to around 40km/h. I then hear an almighty thump and knew immediately I had just lost a tyre. I pulled into the BP 400m down the road and see an egg in the passengers front tyre.:doh:

I went to Bob Jane T-Marts this morning after being referred by Ford and the guy tells me that the tyre is stuffed and that it is about $570 to replace and that I will have to wait till mid September as no tyres are available. The guy was good and did me the deed of changing the wheel with the spare (Which is a front passenger spare not a rear as some have said previously) for no charge and then he put the damaged wheel on the alignment machine and also showed the damage caused to the rim, it is about 1.5cm bent, so that will be another $150 to re-roll the rim and get the buckel out:doh:, so all up a $720+petrol trip home from doing a good deed and working on the weekend to catch up.

Any suggestions. is there any course of action I can take against the RTA to recover cost, has anyone got any contacts. Also what have people been paying (ball park) for GT tyres and where did you get them, cause 570 is a lot of cash

#2 ·
Well, here was my experience, about 6 years ago now, I ran through an unmarked pothole that was actually more like a canyon and was filled with water, it was about midnight when I hit it too.

Simply put my Simmons rim was stuffed but the tyre held up okay. I contacted the responsible council as it was an unmarked repair on the road.

Typical of all bureaucracies (I had sent pictures and a bill for repair) they referred me to the tradesman that had completed the job as it was outsourced!! Sorry, the council has no responsibility in this matter was teh reply.

Well, without bad mouthing all of the decent tradesmen who you know and visit this site, have you ever tried to get money out of a tradesman??? Damn near impossible, actually it was impossible in my case!

After all the bull that went with it, you know the end result, I was up for the repair of the wheel as the tradie (plumber) continued down the path of get rooted, the cost involved didn't justify the means so I was oout of pocket in the end.

Good luck in your endeavours hopefully your experience will be better than mine.

#3 ·
when i was in sydney a few months ago, driving near Fox Studios i hit a huge pothole which managed to puncture the tire wall on my left 2 tires.
I was pretty much screwed as i live in melbourne, so i had to get the car back to where i was staying, wait till the next day, got a quote, $500 later i was on my way again.
tyre place recommended sending a letter to the RTA for some sorta compensation.
we did, they replied asking for information on the tyre and for a copy of the receipt.
we've sent that off and are waitinf for a reply.
(it hasnt been long) so hopefully we might get atleast some money back for it.

#4 ·
The SP9000 245s are available. Just have to pull some strings through a good tyre shop.

Anyhow, the key issue on whether you can claim against RTA is whether they caused the fault in the road (i.e. due to bad repair etc). A pothole isn't in this class of 'error' on their part unless it was caused by other related work.

#7 ·
Thanks guys, Parramatta Road is an RTA managed road and AP the hole is there because they are in the process of re-doing the road surface and have taken a few inches off and no covered up this huge hole. I went to the local RTA at Penrith and they gave me the number for the Blacktown RTA which covers the claims section and I will be onto them this afternoon for some answers and some cash

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.