"Power War Truce" Article - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2002, 19:21   #1 (permalink)
Still Here! Barely...

mad "Power War Truce" Article

Grrrrrr having a nice read through the sunday mail yesterday and then i came across the words "POWER WAR TRUCE" with a picture of the new GT next to it!

"Australia's leading performance care makers, Holden and Ford have stepped back from reigniting the supercar war of the 70's.
Both companies have been steadily increasing the power outputs of their big-engines commodore-based and falcon models, but this week they signalled enough is enough.
Neither is going beyond the 300kw level of Australia's performance king, the $93,500 HSV GTS model.
Ford announced its falcon GT model, to be released early next year with an enhanced v8 engine called the "boss", will produce 290kw. There had been intense speculation it would be well over the 300kw benchmark.
And HSV has been content to "smooth and refine" its top engine instead of increasing its ouptut, keeping it 300kw in the updating Y-series sedans.
This informal truce is unlike the early '70's supercar race, when the increasing power and speed of special Falcon GT, Holden Torana and chrysler Valiant models sparked road safety fears, a public backlash and a goverment crackdown.
Though HSV this week unvieled a proposed extra powerful monaro derivative, it emphasies the handbuilt model would be meant for the race track.
The company would not reveal the output of the HRT 427 concept car it unvieled at the SMS, except to say that it was "prodigous". (The intials stand for Holden Racing Team and and the U.S. built engines size in cubic inches; it has a capacity of 7 litres, compared to Holden's normal 5.7 litre V8)
Hsv managing director John Crennan said the lightweight two-seat coupe would be "the ultimate wolf in sheeps clothing - the perfect niche care for enthusists who wanted somthing special when particpating in closed circuit events".
He said "We're just getting feedback at this stage but if we get a sound response we could produce them. It is the sort of thing Porshe does, and we could do it too"
A small number - perhaps 25 or 50 could be built as race cars for wealthy amateur drivers. REach car would cost $200 000 or more.
Holden's sydney show car, a commodore sedan tunrned into a hatchback called the SSX emphaises safety as well as speed. It combines a standard V8 engine with Subaru style all wheel drive for on road use.
Holden chariman Peter H. said "SSX paves the way fro a new family of Holden AWD sports vehicles with unrivalled flexibility born for use in any adverse conditions.
"SSX is our vision of teh future. It heralds a family of ... vehicles that couble become reality in less than 2 years"
At the same time, Ford pressident Geoff Polites unvieled several high performance Falcon GT models coming next year.
The comapny has created a new division, FPV, but he said there were no plans "at this stage" for it to produce a higher-output version of the GT.
Mr Polites siad the basic GT model, and a more luxurious, equally powerful GT-P, world be priced at a premium over the $53 000 Falcn XR8 sedan "but not to big a premium".
The 290kw power output from the Austrailian assembles 5.4L V8 engine is well up on the most legendary of yester-years fast fords, the XY falcon GT-HO Phase 3 in 1971, when ford claimed 223kw. It was described as the fastest sedan in the world.
Work began on a more powerful phase 4 but the backlash against fast cars forced ford to kill it off."

Interesting!!!!! Grrrrrrrr....

Proud DUAG member!

Under a smidge bit of construction - *http://au.geocities.com/crystalized13/*
fordchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2002, 19:31   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Is that $53k figure for XR8 a quote from GP or more journalist ad-lib. Reason I ask is GP and Ford in general have not quoted any pricing at this time.....

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 19:36   #3 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

"This informal truce ..."

pffft, the journos are just trying to make a story. They've noticed that the GTS is still 300, and the GT has not gone over that, so they have said "Hey, i can make a story out of that."
In the same article too, they talk about the 427 Monaro.
Isn't it ironic?
Old 10-20-2002, 19:46   #4 (permalink)
Dual Exhaust Warrior™

Oh yes... as soon as Ford start making high performance cars there's a truce to prevent a war???!!!!! Do they know what TECHNOLOGY means? We have SOOOO many safety features compared to a HO that I don't see why we can't. While we are at it maybe they should ban Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches etc as well since they are available to the general market as well then??
I don't see what the problem is since these cars are only attainable to much older and richer people, who obviously have much more intelligence in regards to speed and safety than most of us young folk.

I had a feeling this would happen.. I hope they get over it
Old 10-20-2002, 20:02   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Did they say "equally powerful GT-P"
Old 10-20-2002, 20:05   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Yeah when HSV was 100kw ahead and Ford did'nt have the high tech equiptment or enough market to match them it was all good but now its truce.

Was this the legitimate reason why GT showed up with its less than expected power? Not that im dissapointed with 290 i might ad.

What does this mean for HO?

Also i wonder if 53k for XR8 is correct?? Logic says the dearer the XR8 is the dearer GT has to be. Hopfully it could be like a TE3 was to AU3 XR8 about 10k above. A 62k GT would be about 4k dearer than the base Clubsport which could be seen as reasonable.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 20:44   #7 (permalink)
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC

hmm very interesting indeed, im inclined to belive that there may have been some government 'hints' to stop the power war or else. Holden and Ford have too much to loose to call a truse and since when did the 2 companies agree on something as dramatic as this??? just a thought

White NL Fairlane Ghia, 'TQE', Superlows, Limo Tint, Pacemaker Tuned length comp spec extractors and lukey exhaust system with 5L cat, ported/polished head to flow 330hp, custom grind AU BILLET cam, chiptorque HP4 reprogramable chip, Alpine MP3/DVD/CD headunit, 550W alpine V series AMP, 12' Alpine Sub, 18" Advanti Chrome Alloys.

191.3RWHP 15.301@92MPH willowbank raceway. ghay 3.08 single spinner:(
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 21:19   #8 (permalink)

Why does the media only pick on the Australian cars, why not imported Euro or Jap marques?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 21:53   #9 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
Why does the media only pick on the Australian cars, why not imported Euro or Jap marques?
I agree and add to the fact that most Hi performance Japanese cars are "Grey Imports" ie they don't have to go through as tough regulations as the cars that go through the proper channel.

Very Ironic.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 21:57   #10 (permalink)
Motorbike rider

And Japanese cars are "officially" limited to 206kw
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum