Rebuild of motor after high oil consumption - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2003, 13:56   #1 (permalink)

Rebuild of motor after high oil consumption

Just received my GTP back from the dealers after the motor rebuild by FPV. Has any other GT or GTp owner had there motor rebuilt. I would like to see what they think of there new motors. I have been told they put in a new small block,pistons and rings so it should feel tight. A trip from sydney to melbourne to run it in was done last week. 2000K's over 3 days was good for it. What I also need to know is what oil did they put in it. Went to Herrods and they did not know, but were a great help and supplied what they thought it should be. Spoke to my FPV dealer and they had no idea. The new oil cap says castrol R 0/20w and I know that this is synthetic. I have always beleived that to bed in a new motor that natural oil is better. Anyone have any ideas on this. Or has anyone actually been told what oil is in the motor.
By the way speaking of Herrods, Rob the new adjustable shocks for the GTP are great.
GTP193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2003, 14:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Rebuild of motor after high oil consumption

shit man thats no good about ya motor, is it the same sorta thing that went on with the gen 3's with oil consumption?
Dempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 14:45   #3 (permalink)

Oil consumption was caused by out of tolerance piston rings. Atleast Ford is fixing the fault with no fuss.
Old 11-23-2003, 14:48   #4 (permalink)

yeh true at least they have fixed the problem, hopefully all is good for your gtp in the future , my uncle has a blue print one with stripes he got boss 290 customly made into the stripes they dont look too bad
Dempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 14:48   #5 (permalink)
FPV GT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP193
Just received my GTP back from the dealers after the motor rebuild by FPV. Has any other GT or GTp owner had there motor rebuilt. I would like to see what they think of there new motors. I have been told they put in a new small block,pistons and rings so it should feel tight. A trip from sydney to melbourne to run it in was done last week. 2000K's over 3 days was good for it. What I also need to know is what oil did they put in it. Went to Herrods and they did not know, but were a great help and supplied what they thought it should be. Spoke to my FPV dealer and they had no idea. The new oil cap says castrol R 0/20w and I know that this is synthetic. I have always beleived that to bed in a new motor that natural oil is better. Anyone have any ideas on this. Or has anyone actually been told what oil is in the motor.
By the way speaking of Herrods, Rob the new adjustable shocks for the GTP are great.
From speaking to my service manager the other day about the stupid prices of the Mobile1 Oil he was telling me that FPV are signing off on using Castrol 0W40 Oil, Unfortunately it is only about $5 cheaper than the Mobil1. I asked him about Shell Helix and he said no word from FPV on being allowed to use it yet, but the Castrol is a sure bet.

To anyone nearing there 15,000K service make sure you get your own Mobil1 SuperSynth 0W40. You should be able to get it from a Mobil/Quix Servo for cheaper than what Ford buy it for. I was stung with a $154 Oil bill for 7l when I had my service done, you should be able to get a 5l for about $65 and 2 1's for about $19 each saving you $50 on the service. I thought they were ripping me off but there records show they are having the same done to them and passing it on
Old 11-23-2003, 14:54   #6 (permalink)

Spoke to rob herrods boys the other day while in melbourne and they tell me they us Shell helix 15w/?
As for the new motors the oil is 0w/40 castrol R synthetic.
Old 11-23-2003, 15:01   #7 (permalink)

since day one herrods have put shell 15w40 in mine
i fang my car daily have done 11200ks no oil problem..
mygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 15:13   #8 (permalink)

mygt, What build No. is your car.
Shell Helix 15w/40 is what the boys at Herrods told me the other day. As soon as 3000k's is up I will try this oil instead of castrol. Maybe politics plays a part in what oil is used by Ford.
Old 11-23-2003, 15:15   #9 (permalink)

my build number is 159 june build
Old 11-23-2003, 15:23   #10 (permalink)

So same month build as my GTP and you say no high oil consumption. Perhapes there is something in the type of oil used in the run in period. Maybe FPv could explain why they use 0W/40 to run in the BOSS motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum