Ford Forums banner

Secondary bonnet restraint?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  FoMoCo4eva 
#1 ·
Hi,
Need to construct a bonnet restraint. Any ideas? I have seen the pins which extend past the bonnet shutline. Due to the uneven shutline gap i don't think it is possible.

Thanks

#4 ·
I think I've seen the pins you mean, and it should work. Basically the pin is just a bit of flat stainless which is attached using one of the front guard bolts (ie easy to fit and remove), with a small removeable plate and retaining pin that prevents the bonnet rising. Use some rubber around the pin and under the plate if necessary to prevent scratching the paint. It only needs a small gap to fit the pin between the guard and bonnet, as long as the gap is large enough to fit it would not matter what it was.

#5 ·
firefox7 said:
WHY???????????

Cheers...
lol...serious?...surely someone that owns such a track monster such as a T3 would know why...jk

most places you go racing require a secondary bonnet restraint, along with heaps of other little safe guards.

IMO bonnet pins can look very tough. Id be doing that, and honestly im not sure how else it can be done.

Hmm..X series falcons and bonnet pins look awesome. Im sure there is a more modern alternative around that would suit a BA, not that pins dont. :)

#6 ·
Cams require that it be of a non elastic substance so you would get away with a small strong chain with small "D" clamps between the bonnet latch and radiator support.This is a strange ruling because the cable latch is the first and then the secondary one is the one you have to do by hand, so in fact they want three devices!!.
DUMB.

Elmer Fudd

#7 ·
I had mine made up with a child restraint harness - a D-Shackle at the bonnet end and used the child restraint clip for under the car with it mounted on the roll bar - makes for quick removal and installation without damaging anything. Worked on the AU and the BA fine.

Russ

#8 ·
FoMoCo4eva said:
lol...serious?...surely someone that owns such a track monster such as a T3 would know why...jk

Why = What is it's purpose....!!!! track or looks.....

Cheers...

#9 ·
firefox7 said:
Why = What is it's purpose....!!!! track or looks.....

Cheers...
Looks- Well I haven't got any pics..but on the RIGHT car some bonnet pins look mean. For this reason alone they are almost worth it.

Track - I am assuming its so that if you are hammering along, and accidently nudge someone, and somehow you loosen your bonnet; it shouldn't come flying back in your face and block your vision.

Well atleast I think thats the reason :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.