Should the head of FPV be European? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2004, 01:18   #1 (permalink)

Should the head of FPV be European?

I ask this because it has been more apparent that FPV(Prodrive) have been putting a lot of development behind the F6 and its well known that Europeans prefer Turbos to true grunt. The price for this car is still to be determined but it should be about the same as a base GT. If you look at the quality ie grill on F6 is satin mesh same as GTP not GT the rim design has a polished look compaired to a silver paint on GT and the bagding looks a greater quality than the GT/GTP. But the thing that going to get my goat is that the F6 will no questions asked surely do the 1/4 in the mid 13's due to lower weight and fat torque curve and will make the GT/GTP look tame and be forgotten as the Ford hero car.In my opinion they have no HEART to the true Aussie icon being a firebreathing v8 that will eat holdens for breakfast.With the release of the BA GT/GTP in my opinion they did nothing to conquer the lion all they did is shake up the hornets nest.So should Ford have a Australian who has been brought up with the ford V8 breed in his blood or do you think that a European will do the job?

Elmer Fudd
BOSSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2004, 02:11   #2 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Re: Should the head of FPV be European?

Dont have no idea, But its a bloody good question. I think David Flint has his finger on the pulse now, he wont make the same mistakes that were made when Ford were running the show, Now FPV/Prodrive have a lot more control in what they do where before they were used as an outside sause to do what ford could'nt or would'nt do, So I think things will go on the same as they are..........
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 03:06   #3 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Keep in mind the F6 was only a concept and not a production ready version and the series 2 GT might cop a power upgrade as well. We'll just have to wait and see.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 03:25   #4 (permalink)

Question Re: Should the head of FPV be European?

Time will tell. I assume that David Flint has had a great deal of encouragement from Geoff Polites in relation to the development of the Boss 290 and GT package. It will be interesting to see what happens next with control being ceded to the yanks (I know FPV are owned by Prodrive out of the UK but the Ford Australia President is still going to be a major influence on what products are released locally). The telling factor will be with what happens with the next GT package. It, like the F6, will have the six speed auto which is currently under development. But for it to remain at the top of the performance heap it will require a very generous dollop of power. I would think 350 KW at a minimum.

Also, the one unfinished piece of business is the HO. For it to have credibility, and, for it not to insult its ancestors, it would have to have at least 500 hp and 500 ft lbs of torque (it would not necessarily have to be the fastest 4 door in the world). Coincidently the supercharged version of the 5.4 produces exactly this.

I think that Prodrive's actions over the next year will tell us very clearly whether they are serious about enshrining their name in Australian Ford performance history or whether they're just about exploiting the GT name in order to maximise short term profits. I personally hope that they can enshrine their name in history and make a decent buck as well.

Last edited by snowman; 03-16-2004 at 03:28.
snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 13:31   #5 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Well I think if they put a pump on the GT and call it a GTHO they have lost me as a new FPV customer ! I want the GTHO to be the same as the XYs were, just a hotted up GT nothing more, a bit more power, a bit better handling, and limated build numbers,& Not a GTP with a pump......
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 13:50   #6 (permalink)
3dr zeTEC

I think Ford have alot of suprises for us, Lets face it, stiring up the hornets nest for the time being is a good thing. Holden are about to release an all new Commodore, with new engines and gearboxes, suspension ect. For Ford to stay on top, it would be suicide if they showed all thier cards up front. In the words of one very wise general, "only use enough firepower to get the job done, don't go in with all you've got , you'll destroy the lot and God help us if you need a counterstrike"!
Old 03-16-2004, 14:45   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper545
I think Ford have alot of suprises for us, Lets face it, stiring up the hornets nest for the time being is a good thing. Holden are about to release an all new Commodore, with new engines and gearboxes, suspension ect. For Ford to stay on top, it would be suicide if they showed all thier cards up front. In the words of one very wise general, "only use enough firepower to get the job done, don't go in with all you've got , you'll destroy the lot and God help us if you need a counterstrike"!
Yeah, the Gen IV (LS2) is being released in the C6 Vettes this year. 6 liters and 400HP as standard. Not sure if the LS1 will be retired though. It'll probably remain as an option. But Holden will get this engine for sure in the future.

BTW the 5.4ltr Ford GT is way under rated at 500/500. There is a story on the Corral of a test mule dynoing at way over 600 to the wheels, stock!!! But it is no ordinary 5.4ltr modular, even without the blower.
Bassani Cat back
4.10 gears
285 rwhp, 282 rwtq
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES
stricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 00:04   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSGT
I ask this because it has been more apparent that FPV(Prodrive) have been putting a lot of development behind the F6 and its well known that Europeans prefer Turbos to true grunt. The price for this car is still to be determined but it should be about the same as a base GT. If you look at the quality ie grill on F6 is satin mesh same as GTP not GT the rim design has a polished look compaired to a silver paint on GT and the bagding looks a greater quality than the GT/GTP. But the thing that going to get my goat is that the F6 will no questions asked surely do the 1/4 in the mid 13's due to lower weight and fat torque curve and will make the GT/GTP look tame and be forgotten as the Ford hero car.In my opinion they have no HEART to the true Aussie icon being a firebreathing v8 that will eat holdens for breakfast.With the release of the BA GT/GTP in my opinion they did nothing to conquer the lion all they did is shake up the hornets nest.So should Ford have a Australian who has been brought up with the ford V8 breed in his blood or do you think that a European will do the job?

Elmer Fudd

Couldn't let this to go through to the keeper could I?

When we set up Ford Performance Vehicles, we stated that its aim was to polish the Ford oval by producing vehicles that would demonstrate Ford's committment to performance. Although we had and have the utmost respect for GT and its illustrious history, we didn't form the 'GT Car Company' we formed 'FPV'. We determined to develop a range of cars to meet the requirements of as many people as possible who yearned for the buzz of owning and driving a performance car. That necessarily meant that we consider that group of people who did not believe that "there was no replacement for displacement". Believe it or not, there are a lot of them!
Did that mean that we are turned our backs on the V8 enthusiast? Certainly not! We will continue to develop the engine(s) for as long as the market exists.
The F6 Typhoon offers Ford and FPV the opportunity to demonstrate a level of engineering excellence not seen before in an Australian high performance vehicle. A world class 6 cylinder engine designed, developed and built in Australia. However, the 5.4 4v led us there. The team that we we built to develop the GT engine went on to the Typhoon. We see them both as examples of what can be done with relatively low levels of resource and maximum committment to performance.

You should also know that I was a Pom once, but I'm better now!

Have fun!
Jack
There is room for both.
Old 03-17-2004, 00:32   #9 (permalink)

I believe that FPV is on the right direction,as long they keep producing world class vehicles whether they be a 6 or a V8 its got to be good for us the consumer.
And its good to hear from the big boss himself and a fellow Hawk supporter,all the best David.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,

Last edited by GTP 320; 03-17-2004 at 00:36.
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:13   #10 (permalink)

Thank you for your reply David just from that you have shown me and others that you are looking out for what the family needs to grow. Im sure you do understand why these many questions are asked, The BA product is beyond doubt the best this country has ever had but its been a very long time between drinks for this family to have true bragging rights over that other product at the pub.We Hope that you will give us that opportunity very soon as im proud of my GTP but still know deep down inside they are on top.

Elmer Fudd
BOSSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum