Simple idea for new GT to show some heritage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2002, 20:14   #1 (permalink)
ex-Ford owner

Simple idea for new GT to show some heritage

Ok, it seems that there are plenty of people out there like myself and ADZ351 who are a little disappointed that the new GT doesn't look enough like a GT and show much of it's proud heritage.

Don't get me wrong I like the car and think it's great. If when the BA was released you showed me this car and said is was the XR8 I would have been blown away. But after seeing the XR8 first, this GT just did not have that visual impact a GT should.

So I had an idea how a new GT owner could show some heritage with the car with the body kit as is.

Sorry I'm not a photoshop guru so I don't even have a picture to show what I mean, but someone feel free somebody to try and show it.

First step, remove the blue oval Ford badge from the centre of the grill and replace it with a red GT badge offset to the far right of the grill (ala XY GT). Cheap simple and easy...

Second, black out the entire buldge in the hood and the area between it and the windscreen. Not the whole hood, just the buldge and the section behind it (ala XB GT). Again, pretty simple, cheap and easy...

Third, on either side of the now blacked out hood buldge apply decals in white that say "Boss 290" (ala '71 Mach 1 Mustang with Ram Air 351). Very cheap, simple and easy... Actually surprised the factory didn't put "Boss 260" decals in the same place on the XR8's

I would also like to see the wheels changed, but don't agree that some kind of repro 5 slot would look the part. I have no suggestions on wheels at this stage except to say that the XR8 ones look better.

I think my suggestions would show some GT heritage and give it a meaner appearance that would stand out, but not be too in-your-face and anyone could do it. If you don't think the black out would work on a modern car, have a look at the new Mach 1 Mustang. That works!!
XYFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2002, 20:23   #2 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

your suggestions are fair enough....
and too an extent i agree with most of them...

red GT badge would have been a treat on its own, but all in all, it IS destined for 2003, not 30 years ago.

I feel FPV have done a great job recapturing the GT spirit - in the sense that its not overdone like the EB and EL GT's were, but has the power to boot and take on Holden/HSV's finest.

my 2 cents.

ChuBBziLLa
Old 10-17-2002, 20:23   #3 (permalink)
ex-Ford owner

Oh yeah, and maybe stick SuperRoos decals in front of the GT badges on the sides of the car (rear doors). Those badges should be red too IMHO.
XYFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 20:29   #4 (permalink)
------

I think all it needs is to be a little lower and for the Body kit to have sharper edges...
Old 10-17-2002, 20:50   #5 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

Well these suggestions are good, and you can pretty much do what you want to your car. I understand what some people are saying about it not looking like enough of a 'GT'
But seriously fellas, we do want to move forward, look to the future and start a new part in the history of Australian motoring. Some people say it looks to much like an XR8, that don't mean its a bad car. Would you rather it was a totally different car, so it didn't have any visualy links to the base falcon?
I think it has been designed so that even people driving normal XT falcons feel as if their car has a bit of 'GT' in it. That was the case in the late 60's and early 70's, wasn't it?
Old 10-17-2002, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

I really like your suggestions XY Falcon. I'm actually happy that Ford haven't release a winged freak of a car ala HSV, but adding some red GT badges on the front grill and side of the car atleast helps people recognise it a bit easier.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 21:19   #7 (permalink)

i totally agree with your suggestions XY Falcon

maybe someone can photoshop one for all to see??

Sydney City & Western Suburbs

8786 0686 or 0413 113 921

www.arriveinstylecarhire.com.au

roy@arriveinstylecarhire.com.au
MAD HO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 21:21   #8 (permalink)
Ford Parts Interpretor

XYFalcon has hit the nail on the head!!! and I agree 100%
My favorite idea is the GT badge in the grille (can somone photoshop one in red please)

Ford has the chance right here to birth an instant classic. I am sure nobody would have complained if it had some form of hood black out or big BOSS decals, and these are the traits that sets a good looking car apart from a LEGEND which the GT really is (and should be in years to come.

I dont want to have to modify the car myself (as many suggest)as I think most aftermarket mods look tacky. The factory doing these kind of mods only sets the car apart and makes it more desireable!

or, maybe XYFalcon, the 2 of us have inhailed too many fumes from the old XY's and we should go back to our sheds.
Old 10-17-2002, 21:26   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

One thing would give it instant cred on the street. The bloody shaker!

It sounds good, and it'd make everyone cheer. The decal thing is also a good idea. But the shaker is better.

David
EB2Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 21:28   #10 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

That's it.....THE SHAKER!!
But I don't think that is legal now...is it???

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum