So what else could you buy?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2003, 22:07   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

So what else could you buy??

Usual thing - miserable Melbourne Sunday arvo and too much time on my hands.

Was actually reading the pricing guide in the back of one of the monthly motoring mags (which reminds me; why didn't they rename the Womens Weekly when it went to monthly publication??) and thought I would do a quick comparison of what else the price of a GT-p would buy.

So here they are:

Alfa Romeo 166. No longer equipped with rust on demand and with 162 kw / 270 Nm / 1415 kgs it runs 8.6 0-100 and 16.24 quarters. 3 year resale of 57% ($40,600). Neither the space or performance of the Ford and not really a serious contender. From a performance perspective the GTV V6 Coupe at 7.2 / 16.5 is the pick of their range and still inside the price range.

Audi S3. Well screwed together and a perennial favourite with the journos it stacks up well against the Alfa with 165 kw / 280 Nm / 1375 Kg / 7.6 / 15.4 / 62% ($41,800) but has the same cons as well.

BMW 325i. With a sweet (if underpowered) 6 and a solid reputation this compares well in this price bracket. However with 141 kw / 245 Nm / 1445 Kg / 9.2 / 15.2 / 63% it's not going to scare the GT and the cost of options will scare you.

HSV Clubsport R8. For all the obvious reasons this is the natural enemy of the GT-p. Priced slightly lower and with 260 kw / 475 Nm / 1706 Kg / 6.8 / 14.7 / 52%; it offers a real alternative that is largely determined by brand loyalty. Yet to be seen which is quicker or the better drive.

Jaguar S-Type 2.5 Sport. Acceptably well screwed together these days and reasonably styled the 2.5 is the poverty pack for those whose budgets don't climb to the 3.0 Sport. In the price bracket we are looking at the 3.0 misses out by $7k. Not overly endowed with power at: 145 kw / 244Nm / 1555 Kg / 9.1 / 16.2 / 65% - it at least has decent resale value for a Jag.

Lexus IS300. Slightly above the target pricing but included because of it's solid reputation and good performance. With 157 kw / 288 Nm / 1505 Kg / 8.4 / 16.1 / 63% they are not a rocket but do offer strong resale and great build quality.

Mercedes C230K. Included more because it fits the price range than anything else. Less space than anything else on this list so far and "polarising" in the design department it offers 141 Kw / 260 Nm / 1500 Kg / 9.8 / 16.7 / 66%. Strong resale and excellent build quality are the main pluses.

Saab Turbo 9-5 Linear. A great engine looking for a chassis that can cope with the turbo powerplant this offers 136 Kw / 280 Nm / 1532 Kg / 8.6 / 15.9 / 59% for another reasonable Euro offering.

Volkswagen Passat V6 4Motion SE. It may be a mouthful of a name but this is a serious contender in this price range (with $6k change) with 140 Kw / 260 Nm / 1614 Kg / 8.4 / 15.6 / 60%.

There are a couple of other almosts - and a couple that cost considerably less that might make the consideration list (WRX STi for example) but the main difference between most of the Euros and the local hereos (apart from performance) is resale value.

Pity really when we buid what are world class cars that the gap can be as much as 17% from (say) a T3 TS50 (49%) to the Merc (66%) because that adds up to some serious dollars of lost value for the local metal.

That is the only downside. It was an interesting exercise because the GT-p and R8 really do offer excellent value for money especially when the performance potential is factored in. Now if we can do something about fixing the $12k extra that we have to burn every 3 years then we can all be happy!

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2003, 23:45   #2 (permalink)
BattensPerformanceTuning

That was a great overview Russ, Do you work for a paper? If not you should do.
Also known as edxr8ebgt, BA GT #16, Blueprint, Premium Sound, Leather.
GT-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 00:14   #3 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

he wouldnt be able to work for a paper - a biased opinion is a prerequisite, this was FAR too unbiased!
Old 02-16-2003, 00:48   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Thumbs up

Great run down on alternative cars there Russ. I too have done this sort of comparo at the lower end of the scale ($30k-35k)when i was about to purchase my replacement car from the EF.

I also regard Ford and Holden as having similar offerings and as you mentioned it's just brand loyalty that determines.
But taking loyalty aside i narrowed it down to a equivelantly prices Nissan Skyline late edition R33 GTS-T "Grey import". But my Ford loyalty won it over me hands and quickly threw the small idea of the skyline in the can add to that the rediculously high insurance of these grey imports.

For a balance of power, size, ruggedness and a dash of unique flair you really can't go past the Australian Falcon be it any model.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 00:55   #5 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

How about a Nissan 350Z from $59,990.
206Kw / 363Nm / 1450kg / just under 6.0 / 14.0

Click to see picture

Click to see Good wallpaper
Old 02-16-2003, 02:09   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I saw a 350Z on the road on friday .. I have to say I was extremely underwhelmed by it. You could see the styling hints from the old car .. but it really was just all wrong IMO .. it didn't gel .. yet I liked it when I saw it at a motor show ... go figure.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 02:41   #7 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Question

Unfortunatly, not many of the cars you suggested (whilst in the price range) have the power and straight line acceleration of the Ford (except maybe the HSV).
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 06:28   #8 (permalink)

If you wait a couple of months $60k will get you a nice RX8, sure it wont be as quick as the GTp in a straight line but will eat it around the curves.

1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 09:34   #9 (permalink)

The falcon might have greater depreciation over time, but how much are those cost offset by lower maintenance, insurance, running cost etc If at all? Probably not much I'd imagine, well not enough to make up for the large difference in depreciation but in some circumstances I might be a valid issue.

Ok.. well i know my name is ricecooker, but It doesnt mean that i stand for ricer car in any way. However may i add the subaru legacy/libetry B4 (or whatever they call it these days) into the possible selection of cars to compete with your selection. I know.. a lot of you out there are saying ah f*ck a japper will never compete with a falcon blah blah blah, and to be honest id take the gt-p anyday, but in terms of pure figures and sheer logic, I think the B4 can make more of a case than some of the others that were selected, with its 50 odd grand price tag, 190 Kw 320 NM, 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and 14 .4 or so 400M dash and ok handling. On top of which being of the oriental persuasion and a subaru, it will have great build quality and great reliability with not too shabby handling. Not sure about the resale though. but that might even be ok.
ricecooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 21:10   #10 (permalink)

Re: So what else could you buy??

Quote:
Originally posted by russellw
Usual thing - miserable Melbourne Sunday arvo and too much time on my hands.

Was actually reading the pricing guide in the back of one of the monthly motoring mags (which reminds me; why didn't they rename the Womens Weekly when it went to monthly publication??) and thought I would do a quick comparison of what else the price of a GT-p would buy.

Russ
THE WOMENS MONTHLY not very apealing.

great review russ
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum