Ford Forums banner

Stiff competition from the opposition

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  TurboDOHC 
#1 ·
Im not sure if this has been posted anywhere else on the Forums, sorry if it has been.
I read in the Drive section of the Age paper about the series 2 VY commodore range. there is a bit about the VY HSV series 2 range as well. it says that the standard clubsport will boast 285 kws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

If it is quicker than the GT now, imagine what it will do to it then (i am hating saying this by the way!)

What are your thoughts?

#2 ·
Thoughts?, I'm trying not to..lol

To be honest, I would not expect the 285kw version to be that much faster, if any than the current version or the GT for that matter. When the FPV-T comes out it will be all over for both of them anyway!

I think it’s a good thing that HSV have responded. It may get FPV into fast gear more urgently than expected by many of us consumers, which by all accounts has been already anticipated by FPV themselves. Just watch….

They have come too far to be satisfied with second best in the performance stakes.

#3 · (Edited)
Wait until they actually release them...
Maybe they will be as careless about the accuracy or the power as they are about weight?
I can imagine that this will stuff their GTS sales too.

I wonder what would happen if one day there was a law that power had to be measured at the rear wheels in controlled circumstances?

Never happen

#5 ·
Ford may not increase by as much as people think. They'll probably come up with something like "It is a newly developed engine and we do not want to go past the current boundaries until we do enough R&D into it. When the time is right the car will be developed." Then as the story goes (as usual), Ford will fall behind and lose even more ground to GMH.

#7 ·
As Rodderz said small increments and better gearing will make the Ford's a lot better and quicker. How else do the heavy german cars get going so quick (M5 E55) when they have similar power!!

#9 ·
maybe ford should be very careful ( as they have been ) not to partake in a power war.
There are a lot of limp dicks out there waiting to pounce on both of them in the name of road safety. Developing AWD under the guise of safety would be a smarter move IMO.
Losing weight without sacrificing the integrity of the vehicle will be a good way of actually increasing performance without increasing output.

#10 ·
well said xa-coupe.
Hate to admit it but HSV has been very smart on this one. they know they r just as quick as the fords with only 260kw. by increasing the power to 285kw they're not getting involved in a power war as they're still under the FPV power of 290kw. But 25kw is 25kw and this will be more than enough to be quite a bit faster than the fords.
if it's true that ford won't update the BA until mid next year then this could be a bit of a problem for FPV. they desperately need to lose weight and add about 10 to 20kw to the GT without stating it to the public (they've done it before when they drastically understated the power of the XY GTHO). on that note, where is the HO with SC and 400kw. can't be that hard or expensive to produce. An FPV 6T with 285-300kw would be brilliant. Bring it on FPV.

#11 ·
Just remeber HSVs horsepower is a little bit on the pony side, there 300 gts gets about 228rwkw and I know a stock TE50 that got 222.6 at the last dyno day in sydney, all its got is an after market exhaust,so dont be to worred fords 290 is 290 not just a badge saying its 290 !!know what im saying ....

#14 ·
Venom, if a power war starts, it will end in tears.. Ford should do things to make the car faster without just adding power like Holden are doing. Holden are still 5Kw shy of the Boss290 but in a lighter car so they will not be seen to be trying to out do Ford but in reality, they are.
There is already talk about speed limiting all cars and more reduction in speed limits and the supercar scare thing still floats about so I pray that Holden and Ford come to some form of gentlemen's agreement soon.

#15 ·
Has anyone heard what kind of improvement HSV have made to the torque charactaristics of the GENIII, or is everybody jumping the gun again with the IMPORTANT figures.

HSV cars have typically, and I say typically, in the past been all engine and have forgotten the other parts that make a car a complete package. Theyre playing back to the game that their good at, and that is making strong power numbers. Its gonna be a strong point for HSV, and always will. We couldnt always have expected them to have sat down and given up.

Plus, when/where were these figures officially released? For all we know this figure could just be speculation like the 270KW figure Drive slated for the VY series origionally...

Falcon is not going to loose weight, and Polites confirmed that when he spoke about fuel consumption.He spoke about one of the goals of weight reduction is decreased fuel comsumption, and that instead of removing the inherant safety and handling advantages of the Falcon's, they'd just focus on fuel usage of the engine.

The 6 speed auto Falcon is getting will help the straight line speed of the Falcon substantially (the current BTR's 1st gear is VERY tall), and at the same time, hopefully reduce its weight. The Boss engines are still in their infancy, we surely will see more power, and better drivability from them in the future.

Its only going to get better for everybody!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.