Suspension upgrades - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2004, 03:25   #1 (permalink)

Suspension upgrades

Don't know how stable the roads are over in oz (have sampled some in NSW and QLD and are okay) but in NZ there are MANY tight corners and unstable surfaces. We all know our GTGTP suspensions have been tuned for optimum performance and are the ultimate, as reported on the Ford website. The previous FTE cars (esp TS/TL series) were fine tuned with Koni shocks and handled very well. I previously had a Herrod Motorsport Enhanced AUIII XR8 whichhad Herrod springs and Herrod revalved Koni shocks - they got standard Koni shocks and revalved them to specifically match the weight and characteristics of the AU XR8s and then marketed them, after working out track handling and weaknesses of rebound rates etc (so I was told before I bought them)

Anyway, at 'highway speeds' the Gt/GTP product is not as stable as the Herrod AU XR range. In fact, it can be down right dangerous. If you were say in NT and flat out, and hit a bumpy spot, you would be off the road in no time.

Who has suggestions for improvement?

Springs - cannot be lower, as GT is lower in bar/bumper then a Herrod lowered XR8, so will not go up curbs/fit into garage. Is there another product of same height which has a better spring rate? Original springs 'wallow' more than the Herrod product, but can't use these, as will not fit in garage, which has step incline.

Shocks - I have been told Koni was dropped for superior product called 'Delphi' but to me Delphi has poorer performance than Koni. I do miss the Herrod setup in my AUIII - in fact, I think my Herrod setup provided better feedback and response than what I have now. Has anyone changed back to Koni. Are the 'revalved Herrod' konis better than the standard ones?

Springs - does anyone make a spring which has a higher rate than the original? Note here that lowering is not really an option, otherwise i will rip out my front bar.

Sway bars - we all know this is a contentious issue, as toomuch of a swaybar (esp on the rear) brings premature oversteer, esp at high cornering speeds, resulting in a lotta fun for some, a surprise for those not expecting it. Also I have added aftermarket swaybars and foundsever 'creaking/ripping' noises in the A pillar/ firewall area within 30,000km in previous model fords. Who has fitted after market swaybars? And whats the result?

For a car of this pricing, the suspension is a bit lacking. (eg the Clubsport R8 offers Ohlins shocks, which are Koni equivalents, and are adjustable). Who has changed their suspensionfor the better, and how did they achieve it?
NZ GT-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2004, 17:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: Suspension upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ GT-P
Don't know how stable the roads are over in oz (have sampled some in NSW and QLD and are okay) but in NZ there are MANY tight corners and unstable surfaces. We all know our GTGTP suspensions have been tuned for optimum performance and are the ultimate, as reported on the Ford website. The previous FTE cars (esp TS/TL series) were fine tuned with Koni shocks and handled very well. I previously had a Herrod Motorsport Enhanced AUIII XR8 whichhad Herrod springs and Herrod revalved Koni shocks - they got standard Koni shocks and revalved them to specifically match the weight and characteristics of the AU XR8s and then marketed them, after working out track handling and weaknesses of rebound rates etc (so I was told before I bought them)

Anyway, at 'highway speeds' the Gt/GTP product is not as stable as the Herrod AU XR range. In fact, it can be down right dangerous. If you were say in NT and flat out, and hit a bumpy spot, you would be off the road in no time.

Who has suggestions for improvement?

Springs - cannot be lower, as GT is lower in bar/bumper then a Herrod lowered XR8, so will not go up curbs/fit into garage. Is there another product of same height which has a better spring rate? Original springs 'wallow' more than the Herrod product, but can't use these, as will not fit in garage, which has step incline.

Shocks - I have been told Koni was dropped for superior product called 'Delphi' but to me Delphi has poorer performance than Koni. I do miss the Herrod setup in my AUIII - in fact, I think my Herrod setup provided better feedback and response than what I have now. Has anyone changed back to Koni. Are the 'revalved Herrod' konis better than the standard ones?

Springs - does anyone make a spring which has a higher rate than the original? Note here that lowering is not really an option, otherwise i will rip out my front bar.

Sway bars - we all know this is a contentious issue, as toomuch of a swaybar (esp on the rear) brings premature oversteer, esp at high cornering speeds, resulting in a lotta fun for some, a surprise for those not expecting it. Also I have added aftermarket swaybars and foundsever 'creaking/ripping' noises in the A pillar/ firewall area within 30,000km in previous model fords. Who has fitted after market swaybars? And whats the result?

For a car of this pricing, the suspension is a bit lacking. (eg the Clubsport R8 offers Ohlins shocks, which are Koni equivalents, and are adjustable). Who has changed their suspensionfor the better, and how did they achieve it?
Hi NZ-GTP
How you doing over there in Aoatearoa?
Mate I thought the same thing, especially high speed straight line wandering.
I threw the whole lot in the bin and fitted a pedders sports system which included uprated shocks and springs 10mm lower in the front and 15mm lower in the bum. The car is a little firmer on the road but corners like a go cart and is very stable at high speed, cornering and in a straight line. I took it over the Nullabor and cruised at 220 for an hour and had a few runs at 250+. The Nullabor although not the worlds roughest road has some pretty bumpy patches. Never felt the car develop bad manners once.
Pedders have this system designed for the BA GTs.
Hope this helps cheers.
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
The Real Performance Thing
HSV What ?
and 013, Lightning Strike:
Twin 2.5 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, CAI & Pedders Suspension
Hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 20:56   #3 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

From day 1 I haven't been real happy with my BAXR drifting over the road. It's not a patch on my AUXR for tracking in a straight line. Pedders will fit a set of spirings for $548 or I can drive 500metres down the road and get a set of Kings fitted(and aligned) for $400. The wandering I am experiencing is at all speeds. It goes along nicely for a while and as I'msitting there enjoying the country side, I have to make a sometimes nervous adjustment to get back on track. As I said the AU was just a point and drive car, it tracked beautifully.
I have had several alignments, and different tyres on the car which made minor differences but didnt cure it.
I have had it suggested that a camber castor kit may help, increasing tyre pressures, and replacing the control arm bushes which may be a bit soft.
BTW Pedders front shockers are 232 each and 170 each rears so the full job from them is $1352.
Are other people having this situation as well, or are they odd cases?
Is this a Ford warranty issue or do we accept it as another BA quirk?
Old 06-27-2004, 23:55   #4 (permalink)
No stars in my eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANTM1
Is this a Ford warranty issue or do we accept it as another BA quirk?

Looks like another one for Sbutlers List....

Proud Owner of a Tickford TE-50 T3 No 033.....13.62 @ 102.07mph..0-100-4.988 secs
firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 00:40   #5 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Ever though the BA may not be as good a setup as the AU3 ?and thats were the problem is.......
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:07   #6 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
Ever though the BA may not be as good a setup as the AU3 ?and thats were the problem is.......
I thought Ford would of made the T3's so you wouldn't have to steer as hitting a wall would improve it's looks anyway.

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
FPVGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:06   #7 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Whats that got to do with the suspension? Ok we all know your a BA GT owner, you dont have to prove to us you are twisted.........
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:08   #8 (permalink)

lol here we go again. The T3 Brothers doing the bashing.
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:08   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

The BA FPV suspensions are clearly a compromise between handling and ride and for an everyday road car the balance is probably pretty close. There is some camber sensitivity in the front end geometry and they don't have sufficient tracking or rebound control but like all compromises it works reasonably well.

It isn't good enough for someone who wants to have a go occasionally especially in the area of rebound at the front - the rear mechanical grip seems sufficient for the power available but the front is poor.

I would avoid the temptation to go any lower personally but others can make that chocie for themselves. I suspect that a better shock (perhaps an adjustable) although it would be interesting to take a box of springs to Calder one day and test that theory.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:15   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
The BA FPV suspensions are clearly a compromise between handling and ride and for an everyday road car the balance is probably pretty close. There is some camber sensitivity in the front end geometry and they don't have sufficient tracking or rebound control but like all compromises it works reasonably well.

It isn't good enough for someone who wants to have a go occasionally especially in the area of rebound at the front - the rear mechanical grip seems sufficient for the power available but the front is poor.

I would avoid the temptation to go any lower personally but others can make that chocie for themselves. I suspect that a better shock (perhaps an adjustable) although it would be interesting to take a box of springs to Calder one day and test that theory.

Cheers
Russ
I thought the GT had quite a nice all round handle to it.

The T3 i had had the adjustables (if you can call 1.5 turns adjustable).. it was also shocking for diff bounce where the gt Drfts and slides under power great and has no diff bouce at all.. Hooks nice when driven properly(same as the T3).
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum