Sydney Unichip Demo/What's your experience - GT/GTP only?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2004, 20:42   #1 (permalink)

Sydney Unichip Demo/What's your experience - GT/GTP only??

I went to the Unichip demo in Sydney yesterday, and came away knowing a lot more about engine tuning than I previously knew, not to mention that I was even a little bit impressed with the ease at which the tuner was able to tune the Unichip to produce 20+ kW on a completely stock XR6T.

I have been lead to believe the gains made on NA cars are not as dramatic as turbo cars - as only the fuel is able to be manipulated, as opposed to fuel and air (via boost) on a turbo car. Also, the APS guys have told me that fitment to a BA V8 is not a "plug in" operation like it is on an XR6T, as the air duct leading to the throttle body prevents their connector assembly from being inserted between the ECU and the cable harness - a throttle body helix spacer makes this situation worse apparently.

Unfortunately I was unable to stay to see if they demo'd on a GT or GTP (and made worthwhile gains if infact they did test), so I have several questions for owners of GT or GTPs that have a Unichip fitted:

1. How was the fitment of your Unichip done - ie have you been able to "plug" yours in, or is it spliced/hardwired?

2. What gains (kW/nM) were made (No Unichip vs Unichip fitted) ? And what previous mods have you done - exhaust/CAI etc??

3. Assuming a power increase on the dyno, was this increase noticable when accelerating/general driving?

4. What did your before and after dyno curves look like - ie did the Unichip produce just more up the top, or was it able to beef up the low to mid ranges as well?

5. Have you had any adverse experiences ?

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2004, 23:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: Sydney Unichip Demo/What's your experience - GT/GTP only??

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsi
I went to the Unichip demo in Sydney yesterday, and came away knowing a lot more about engine tuning than I previously knew, not to mention that I was even a little bit impressed with the ease at which the tuner was able to tune the Unichip to produce 20+ kW on a completely stock XR6T.

I have been lead to believe the gains made on NA cars are not as dramatic as turbo cars - as only the fuel is able to be manipulated, as opposed to fuel and air (via boost) on a turbo car. Also, the APS guys have told me that fitment to a BA V8 is not a "plug in" operation like it is on an XR6T, as the air duct leading to the throttle body prevents their connector assembly from being inserted between the ECU and the cable harness - a throttle body helix spacer makes this situation worse apparently.

Unfortunately I was unable to stay to see if they demo'd on a GT or GTP (and made worthwhile gains if infact they did test), so I have several questions for owners of GT or GTPs that have a Unichip fitted:

1. How was the fitment of your Unichip done - ie have you been able to "plug" yours in, or is it spliced/hardwired?

2. What gains (kW/nM) were made (No Unichip vs Unichip fitted) ? And what previous mods have you done - exhaust/CAI etc??

3. Assuming a power increase on the dyno, was this increase noticable when accelerating/general driving?

4. What did your before and after dyno curves look like - ie did the Unichip produce just more up the top, or was it able to beef up the low to mid ranges as well?

5. Have you had any adverse experiences ?
Hi Burnsi
I drove my GT to Melb to have a unichip fitted by APS, and a damn fine job they did, it was spliced in.
The rwkw before fitting were around 240, finished on the same dyno (APS's dyno room is a sight to behold) it came out at 263.9. The torque curve is much flatter and torque lifted to a smidgen under 600, both kWs and torque improve from around 2300 rpm up to 5800. I don't know how to scan a dyno chart to hang it up here, but it has been hung up by Redhawk on the xr6turbo forum on the Fpv section under "hypnodocs dyno".
The only adverse experience I've had is that the back wheels spin up much easier and rear tyres cost $580 a throw The instructor from JB driving was very impressed with the power when I took the car out to Calder.
Mate the UNICHIP is well worth fitting, but I would suggest that anybody contemplating one should do all their other mods first to save retuning. Once the chip is fitted everything runs smoother more powerfully and in harmony, the other bonus is that the car runs a little leaner and hammering back from Melb to perth still averaged 12.4 ltr per 100klm, going over with the same driving style the average was 15.3, so in my financial logic it soon pays for itself. In a rating of 1 to 10, in my book the UNICHIP rates 10+
I'm so impressed that when I get the Typhoon I will order it to be picked up from Melb and fit a UNICHIP to it before I drive it back over here. All the good mechanics live in Vic
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
The Real Performance Thing
HSV What ?
and 013, Lightning Strike:
Twin 2.5 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, CAI & Pedders Suspension
Hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 09:24   #3 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Get it the Unichip it's well worth it, if tuned properly its great and many say Spiro is a very good tuner.
it gives your car a good lift down low and it respondes much better, i had a different brand of chip before with 3 different tunes never gave me what the Unichip and tune gave me..

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 17:24   #4 (permalink)

Here's a rough pic of hypno's dyno, taken on the bonnet of his car at D&T tuning Perth.! :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hypnodyno.jpg (82.1 KB, 80 views)
Old 08-15-2004, 22:05   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk
Here's a rough pic of hypno's dyno, taken on the bonnet of his car at D&T tuning Perth.! :)
Thanks Al
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
The Real Performance Thing
HSV What ?
and 013, Lightning Strike:
Twin 2.5 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, CAI & Pedders Suspension
Hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum