Towing Capacity - GT/GTP/Pursuit - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 23:11   #1 (permalink)

Towing Capacity - GT/GTP/Pursuit

Hey All,

Does anyone have any solid information on why the towing capacity for the GT/GTP/Pursuit is only 1600KG auto & manual when the XR8 is rated to 2300KG for the auto?

The best i could get out of the dealer (and this was after he said he called FPV too) was that it was related to engine cooling on the 290 motor and also that they didn't want someone driving it like a race car while trying to tow 2300KG..

Yatesy
yatesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 23:48   #2 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Re: Towing Capacity - GT/GTP/Pursuit

Translation: Warranty issues!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 00:41   #3 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesy
didn't want someone driving it like a race car while trying to tow 2300KG..
Yatesy
That would have to be one of the most silliest statements I have heard. What's stopping someone in a XR8 driving it like a race car while towing a trailer?
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 14:58   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod c
That would have to be one of the most silliest statements I have heard. What's stopping someone in a XR8 driving it like a race car while towing a trailer?
exactly my point to the dealer as well.. that's why I was chasing something more concrete from anyone out there.. it doesn't seem right to me that increasing the engine power by 30KW would drop the towing rating down so much.
Old 10-22-2003, 19:08   #5 (permalink)

If anything dropped its tow rating, it would be the rear suspension set-up. Confirm with somebody at Ford.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 02:39   #6 (permalink)

Higher compression motor will be more likely to overheat and try to ping than the 260 would.
Old 10-27-2003, 22:44   #7 (permalink)

I want to know who has a proper FPV tobar.

Been waiting three months and still no show!!

The only tobars I have seen are XT ones fitted crudely by dealers. Anyone have an original FPV one yet?
eightoftwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 16:36   #8 (permalink)
3dr zeTEC

I don't know why anyone would put a towbar on a high performance vehicle in the first place! These cars are designed to do one job to the very best of it's abilities and that is to go hard, stop fast and corner with that HOLY S*&# feeling every time, with no extra bits attached! If you need something to tow that Boat/yaght or whatever else that comes with that lifestyle, then get an F-250 that's designed with enough capacity to rip tree stumps out if need be.
I hope I haven't offended anyone, but that's just my 2 cents on Towbars and fast cars.
The only thing I can think of when it comes to reduced towing capacity in manuals, is the fact that the Clutch in the GT (or any other manual vehicle)might not be durable enough to cope with the extra stress caused by pulling more than 1200kg on top of the 1700kg or so it has to deal with every day!
Old 10-30-2003, 18:45   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper545
I hope I haven't offended anyone, but that's just my 2 cents on Towbars and fast cars.
The only thing I can think of when it comes to reduced towing capacity in manuals, is the fact that the Clutch in the GT (or any other manual vehicle)might not be durable enough to cope with the extra stress caused by pulling more than 1200kg on top of the 1700kg or so it has to deal with every day!
normally you would think that, but the towing capacity on a manual XR8 is 1200kg's, but on the GT/Pursuit it's actually increased to 1600kg when the auto has gone the opposite way. Usually it's the other way around..
Old 10-30-2003, 18:59   #10 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper545
I don't know why anyone would put a towbar on a high performance vehicle in the first place! These cars are designed to do one job to the very best of it's abilities and that is to go hard, stop fast and corner with that HOLY S*&# feeling every time, with no extra bits attached! If you need something to tow that Boat/yaght or whatever else that comes with that lifestyle, then get an F-250 that's designed with enough capacity to rip tree stumps out if need be.
I totally agree with ya mate...I know the usuals are going to kick up a fuss...there is a good reason why GT's haven't come with tow bars and why Ford/FPV don't want to help you.

It doesn't degrade a GT, but it comes close to it. I have NEVER seen any GT from any era towing anything. Its the same kind of degradation thats taxis give Ford. Yeah they are good because of reliability etc etc..but at the end of the day all you ever see is ford taxis. I'm glad they are changing there ways.

Although on the other hand in Europe most of the taxis are bmw's and merc, but I guess they are nothing over there anyway.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum