Tyre replacement - what tyres? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 01:45   #1 (permalink)

Tyre replacement - what tyres?

What have you guys replaced your original tyres with? I am up for a new set 26 000 Km
balls00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 02:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: Tyre replacement - what tyres?

Mate I’ve got the original mags and tyres sitting in my shed with only 1000km on them as I have put on a set of 19's, I'm still using the Dunlop SP9000's and have done 17500km on them and a few good burn outs at calder park and not one problem, you will get a lot of people telling you what they have put on there cars, but it comes down to how much you want to spend and what sort of driving you do.

My Car
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:26   #3 (permalink)
FPV GT Owner

I have done 67000km in my car and since 7000km I have had Goodyear Eagle F1's on my car and they have taken the beating much better than the Dunlops and they stick just as well, I am still on my second set and they look like doing at least another 20,000km
Old 01-04-2005, 03:42   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balls00
What have you guys replaced your original tyres with? I am up for a new set 26 000 Km
I put Sumitomos on at 29000 Km. Someone (on here) told me that they are a Japanese copy of the Dunlop SP9000 - and they do look very similar, if not almost identical in tread pattern, and they're pretty good, but not as good as the Dunlops when pushed hard - but they were $200 per corner cheaper too!

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 13:05   #5 (permalink)
Previously Black XR

I put Yokohamas on mine.....the first ones wore out in 19000 kms......

the Yokis were around the 350 mark way cheaper then the 650 for the Dunlops.....and they hang on a lot better
Old 01-04-2005, 16:02   #6 (permalink)
FPV GT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver GT
I put Yokohamas on mine.....the first ones wore out in 19000 kms......

the Yokis were around the 350 mark way cheaper then the 650 for the Dunlops.....and they hang on a lot better
$650 for Dunlops, are you kidding me. Jaxx tyres at Penrith have a set of Dunlops they cannot get rid of and they are only $480
Old 01-04-2005, 21:08   #7 (permalink)
Previously Black XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGROMS.com
$650 for Dunlops, are you kidding me. Jaxx tyres at Penrith have a set of Dunlops they cannot get rid of and they are only $480

when i was looking around 4 months ago they were 650....if you can get them for 480....i reckon grab them
Old 01-04-2005, 23:40   #8 (permalink)
Old Grunt

I have just got back from a trip up to the Sunshine Coast and have a rather strange story to tell in regards to my Dunlop SP9000's. About 2 months before xmas, the left front tyre developed 2 blisters. I went to my local Ford/FPV dealer, Westpoint Ford, Werribee, who instructed me to go to Bob Jane Tmart across the road who do their warranty work - which I did. The 2nd in charge told me in his opinion it was due to impact damage such as a pot hole, etc. I argued the point that I have 2 blisters, not one and I dont accept his assessment. He said he would get the Dunlop rep out the following week to inspect the tyre which I agreed to. Over the next 2 months the rep still hadn't been out so I eventually went back and spoke to the 2ic again. He tells me he has made the decision it was impact damage and the rep didn't need to inspect. Obviously I was not impressed with this and told him so and will take it further. On the way up to Qld, low-and-behold, the right front develops the same type of blister. I went to Pacific Ford in Maroochydore who had a look at it, agreed it was very odd for not only one but 2 tyres to develop blisters, so referred me to Beaurepaires in Maloolooba, spoke to the 2nd in charge (Brendan), took one look at them, said, yep, "they're faulty, I will replace them for you no cost". You reckon I wasn't pleased and pissed off at the same time. The dickhead at Bob Jane Tmart in Melbourne had potentially put me and my wife in a very dangerous situation had a tyre blown out at high speed. And to top it all off, Beaurepaire offer insurance for the life of the tyre which INCLUDES impact damage for just $6 per tyre. Suffice to say, I spent the extra $24 for insurance, bought 2 new tyres, got 2 free ones and replaced them at 26,000 ks. I would be interested to hear from any others who have had any similiar experience with their Dunlops.
Old 01-06-2005, 00:33   #9 (permalink)

yeh GTP610, my dunlops had around 30k on them (they were pretty shagged) but all of a sudden the ute (BA xr8) started steering a bit funny so i went to my local bob jane, when he looked at the front tyres he was shocked and i was soon to be too, because there were big cracks running from the bead out to the tread of the tyre!!! probably at least 6 per front tyre!
i was rather concerned from a safty point of veiw and was shocked to see a tyre deteriate so badly and be so close to the point of failure.
now i have put yokohama s1-z tyres on it, i was told they were the control tyre for the "brute ute" series.
they are quieter and seem to grip every bit as good. they were $400 odd a tyre but they have an exess to unload so i got them for $220
CBYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 00:42   #10 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

What ever you get Dont get them bloody SP9000 again there over priced crap......
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum